[Summer Concept] No more meteors, meet the Volcanobsters

Hello friends,

I was pretty frustrated with the state of Summer in shiprekt. The whole will either burn your base down or force you out to dodge meteors in open water to avoid burning islands to the ground. With enough food it's possible to spend your whole summer dodging meteors in the ocean, but staying on the ground is a death sentence.

This is an idea I had, an alternative summer mechanic; rather than throwing meteors of doom, the game would now throw the cousin of a well known mob: Volcanobsters

jPAC1Cl.jpg

Instead of destroying everything and setting the ground on fire, the volcanic shards now spawn Volcanobsters. Those mobs are neutral and can be befriended; like regular Rock Lobsters

However, the volcanic fumes also create ash all over the ground, and you guessed it, Volcanobsters are addicted to Ash ! They will turn red if they snort any, and turn against the players and other mobs, so be careful. Volcanobsters are so hot, standing next to them is almost like getting burned. Kill them, flee or cool them down before you get swarmed by the end of Summer !

mKn3aBM.jpg

I suppose they are better than dodging meteors LOL - but where would they go at the end of summer? I don't see any reason for them to disappear and rock lobsters are known for taking over maps in original DS - I'm not sure that a permanent and increasing army of angry, fiery lobstermen is something I want to deal with!

I suppose they are better than dodging meteors LOL - but where would they go at the end of summer? I don't see any reason for them to disappear and rock lobsters are known for taking over maps in original DS - I'm not sure that a permanent and increasing army of angry, fiery lobstermen is something I want to deal with!

Well an idea could be that they actually don't come from the Volcanostones but rather from the sea attracted by the heat and the ash in the air. And once Volcano season is over they go back into the ocean.

Kinda like different breeds of crabs that only go to the shore for mating season and for our good buddys the Rocklobsters that would be the Volcanoseason.

They'd cool back and turn into a regular rock that can be mined when the first rain comes !

Right now SW needs renewable minerals, and that'd be the ideal solution

Well an idea could be that they actually don't come from the Volcanostones but rather from the sea attracted by the heat and the ash in the air. And once Volcano season is over they go back into the ocean.

I really like this idea - except the original plan was to have them spawn from volcano rocks instead of them being instakill meteors. Now your suggestion is veering towards meteors AND psychotic lobsters - NO, just no, thank you very much XD

They'd cool back and turn into a regular rock that can be mined when the first rain comes !

Right now SW needs renewable minerals, and that'd be the ideal solution

Dat is good plan :D No wonder they're so angry!

I really like this idea - except the original plan was to have them spawn from volcano rocks instead of them being instakill meteors. Now your suggestion is veering towards meteors AND psychotic lobsters - NO, just no, thank you very much XD

Dat is good plan :grin: No wonder they're so angry!

What if they spawn out of the Meteors but still go back into the sea after the season ends? Like the Lobsters live inside the Volcano but get blown out of it through the eruption and stay on the land while the volcano is erupting and after that's all done and over with they go back into the ocean and through some complex scientific way i can't explain land back inside the Volcano to get spat out on the next season

And to make renewable Ressources they could shed their skin and leave rocks behind before going back into the sea.

...and through some complex scientific way i can't explain land back inside the Volcano to get spat out on the next season

Which neatly ties in to everyone's hankering for UNDERSEA TUNNELS :)

Lobsters dig tunnels into side of volcano in search of omnoms. Volcano gets a bit irritable with the constant gnawing of its insides (aka leakage) and FWOOMPH! Lobsters showered everywhere like hot rocks. Lobsters (understandably) cross. When everything has cooled down and they have eaten all the omnoms, they go back to the sea and start the cycle all over again. Players will eventually be able to find these undersea lobster tunnels, assuming they have the correct subaqua gear to survive in them.

Yes, liking this. Liking it a lot!

Archived