Where to look for werebeaver mechanics?

Hey guys,

I am currently working on a character mod for DST. So far everything looks quite well and I am at the last step of the character creation. Basically I want my character to be able to transform just like Woodie. I implemented the code from woodie.lua but as expected it is not working. So before I ask you guys for help I would like to see how other mods do this. The problem is that I can't seem to find any character mod that uses the Woodie transformation mechanics. Does somebody know if there is a character that transforms like Woodie?

- Phil

• Developer

@LesSV, there are a few mod characters out there that do transformations. The Markiplier mod does a transformation I believe, so you may want to talk to @Fidooop about that. I think it was for DS though.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246161031

Arcade and Silhh's Plutia mod does a transformation too I believe in DST.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=472803272&searchtext=transform

That said, the way that characters transform in DST will likely require some reworking in the future due to the way that the character skinning works. If you look in woodie_none.lua you'll see a table called skins on the prefab that defines what builds to use for each state. You'll then likely want to add your own state and set it on the character by calling         inst.components.skinner:SetSkinMode("your_transformation_skin")

Good luck!

The Markiplier mod does a transformation I believe

Yes he does! Like 4 different transformations I think... And in DST too! But the current version on DST is not up to date and doesn't have the "Maniac" state which is the closest to the "werebeaver" state you can get out of his many many many many many many states xD

The sad part is that going through Woodie's code will still be easier than going through Mark's because Mark's is going to be separated between many files and across 2 different mods because of the way the setup is... D:

Thanks for the responses! I worked myself through the woodie code but it is a bit difficult for me to understand to be honest (I don't have any experience with coding). I am now looking into Arcade and Silhh's Plutia mod and this code seems to be fairly easy to understand and gets the job done. So thanks @PeterA for pointing that out. 

• Developer
I don't have any experience with coding

That's fine, we all started somewhere! Coding is like any other skill or craft, patience and practice everyday will eventually get you mastery. My suggestion for working in the Don't Starve codebase would be to do some lua tutorials so you understand the syntax fairly well, and then it just comes down to reading lots of code and following the flow of execution from one area to another.

At a minimum, this lua crash course is a good first step. http://luatut.com/crash_course.html