A question about ROG?

Hi guys.

I am new to DS and I have recently bought the DLC. Even though I am still a newbie, I can manage to survive for as long as I want in the original dont starve. I am on day 200 or so and I have plenty dragon fruit farms, bee boxes, berries, etc. I do not need to worry about the hounds because I go to my panic room with tooth traps and they die before they can attack me. The only REAL threat is deerclops, but even so I can easily kill it with the help of a beefalo group.

So its basically too easy.

But when I play the DLC. (I usually play with Wilson) It is so much harder. The Spring rain is awful, giants in every season are also a pain in the a..., but my main problem is: While in the first version food does not spoil in jerkies, cook pots and alive rabbits dont spoil, in ROG it does. My maximum was 74 or something but I died after dragonfly burned out all my base down and managed to attack me even while I was running.

So one of my questions is:

How can I play to improve as a player in a world which is not too easy like standard version, but not as hard as ROG?

The second one is: I see a lot of youtube videos showing players with like 1000 days in ROG, and I just wanted to know how they deal with giants, for example, what they do so the dragonfly doesnt burn their base or how deerclops doesnt destroy it.

Thaanks

oh boy i know that feel, im not sure  we'll be abe to help you , the most we can do is throw long worthless explanations and "ALL U NID 2 DO EEZ"

you're gonna have to learn how to prepare for everything by yourself (at least i had to) as the list of new things that can kill you if you're not prepared  has grown exponentially

my tip: always make ice machines, and try to focus on preparing for summer even before winter as winter is already conquered land

and make umbrellas

have fun with no longer being able to kill the deerclops and most new bosses with beefalo!

Have a mini-base so every time a giant comes, run to the mini-base so the giant will become a paused entity. Wait till the giant despawns, profit. If the giant is already in your base, somehow immobilize it then RUN LIKE H*LL . It's also RoG so you could use the old bell to kill things by: 1. Use bait for giants (honey or ash) or put to sleep/immobilize. 2. Use gunpowder and/or old bell to wreck it while its vulnerable. Another thing is to use pro-skillez and kite the giants. That works too.

I'll try to answer based on the specific concerns you have given. If there's anything else, do ask.

Giants first:

• M'Moose: Easiest giant by far. A medium size herd can take care of her, but kiting or tooth traps aren't too bad either. Just mind her de-equipping honk. She only gets dangerous when her brood hatches; or rather, they are dangerous. Just don't let it get to that. The loot of the M'Moose isn't that impressive - the fan's interesting for summer, but there's alternatives. If you're lucky, you'll get the five feathers needed from her in one go anyway.
  • Dragonfly: The only giant never to let near a beefalo herd, no matter the size. They'll all die. She's also easily the most destructive giant, but has one benefit: feed her 20 ashes and she goes to sleep. She'll despawn soon after. You don't have to fight her. And if you wish for her loot, try 14x gunpowder on her while she sleeps. Only mob in the entire game whose loot doesn't burn, so it's a safe strategy. If you insist on fighting her yourself, she can't destroy what doesn't burn, so you could try getting her stuck somewhere and the kite her, but even then it remains tricky. 20 ashes + 14 gunpowder is the easiest solution.
  • Bearger: Only let your beefalos handle the bearger if it's a large herd. Anything less that a screen of brown fur will be destroyed completely. If you're lucky, they'll attack quick enough that the bearger doesn't even get to do their stomp, but generally avoid having a fight occur near mushroom spawn points or really worthwhile rabbit holes. If need be, the bearger can be put to sleep with 20 honey and just left to sleep (or blown up, but that'll cost you the loot too). Tooth traps also work for them.
  • Deerclops: Same as vanilla, but with ice powers. A medium-to-large herd can still handle them and kiting's still a good option too.

In general, I let the beefalos take care of the M'Moose the moment she spawns, use the sleep + gunpowder trick on the Dragonfly, use a toothtrap field on the Bearger, and the Deerclops is either toothtraps or herd depending on how I think they'll fare and what adjustments to their herd size I want to see. Needless to say, in all cases, you are to handle giants away from your base.

The absolute best tool for Spring (and Summer) is the eyebrella, which is made from the deerclops's eye. It's best to start a RoG game in Autumn so you'll have a shot at the eye prior to Spring. The umbrella and rain coat also are worth considering if you don't have the eye, but the eye is something you should aim for.

You can keep captured animals alive by feeding them. Veggies for rabbits, minerals for moleworms, and... not sure if seeds or veggies for birds. But, yeah, food maintenance gets a lot tougher in RoG. Of course, you also have more options. A recommendable resource to get is ice in Winter, which is eternal if kept in the freezer and is a neutral filler. Meat + 3 ice = meatballs. And melonsicles (1 ice, 1 stick, 1 melon, 1 filler (recommended another stick)) are the best - cheap ingredients for a big sanity boost.

And if you want to have an easier time with RoG so you have time to learn its rules, adjust the settings before starting a world. Recommended starter adjustments are "no smoldering" (heck, even advanced RoG players regularly turn off smoldering) and "less frog rain". Possibly, you might want to lower the odds of a giant appearing.

The days of huge bases with a million crockpots and jerky racks are gone (until you get the hang of smoldering and rotting food).  In all honesty, you just don't need much of that anyway.  

Try making a dedicated base which fits within the size of one flingomatic.  Pig/bunny houses, trees, and bee boxes should be created a couple screens away from your base to prevent smoldering.  If you need more then the area of one flingomatic, you aren't utilizing the space well enough or are building way too much stuff you probably don't need.  I use the storm cellar mod (which helps with this a lot) but you should still be able to make it all fit without it.  

Have a desert base for the Summer.  I don't like losing the resources of the generated world and smoldering can wipe out a lot very quickly.  Luckily, there isn't much that burns in the desert so I hang out there and pick tumbleweeds.  Just to be safe, keep a stack of rot in your inventory and put out any smoldering structures/resources when you see it happening.  Also, keep 20 ash around to feed the dragonfly so it falls asleep and leaves you alone.  

For all other bosses, a combination of a toothrap field, kiting, and mob help will take care of the others.  

Spring brings frog rain.  It seems really horrible but is actually a great gift of free food.  Build a lot of traps and collect them that way.  Do not hit the frogs unless you are purposely leading them into a mob which will fight them for you.  Otherwise, you may find yourself surrounded by 20 frogs with no chance of escaping.  

As someone else already mentioned, ice is great.  If you are having difficulty with food starting to rot ice can save the day.  Whenever you aren't hunting MacTusk or fighting Deerclops you should be gathering it.  It keeps indefinitely when stored properly.    

Well nothing else to do but to learn the new things. My advice for you is to learn everything in sections. Learn how to deal with spring then how to deal with summer separately. Challenge yourself by starting in spring and if you gonna die in summer because it took you too long to deal with spring so be it. Practice makes it perfect. As for giants you can lure them away from your base and that's that. Once you live long enough you will actually yearn for the giants to come ;).

DON'T USE BEEFALO FOR DEERCLOPS! Only use beefalo if you have damaged the giant a fair amount of hp. From experience, i know what i'm talking about when i say: rip beefalo. A healthy deerclops can actually take down literally ~20 beefalo if they all get attacked at the same time (oh wait, they do).

EDIT: Just tested it, a deepclops actually took out a herd of 20 beefalo all by itself.

Another edit: I just did 20 beefalo Vs. 1 bearger, the beefalo died in 12 seconds :(

DON'T USE BEEFALO FOR DEERCLOPS! Only use beefalo if you have damaged the giant a fair amount of hp. From experience, i know what i'm talking about when i say: rip beefalo. A healthy deerclops can actually take down literally ~20 beefalo if they all get attacked at the same time (oh wait, they do).

EDIT: Just tested it, a deepclops actually took out a herd of 20 beefalo all by itself.

Another edit: I just did 20 beefalo Vs. 1 bearger, the beefalo died in 12 seconds :(

20 beefalos is what I'd call a small herd. That's def not RoG Deerclops material. But, say, 40, which is medium size, they can handle it. There's been times my beefalos dealt with the Deerclops before I even realized he had already spawned. One'll probably not have a herd like this your first winter, so a tooth trap field or a pig army will have to help out then. But beefalos definitely can still handle the Deerclops.

Archived