[Finished!] Kaji the Fear Core (with trailer!)

pickleplayer

(why does no one else make trailers for their mods? they're so fun!)

(WATCH THE TRAILER, IT'S SUPER COOL I PROMISE)

Kaji the Alkian Fear Core.

I made this mod for a friend's character. Kaji belongs to Venoshade, and this mod was made with their permission.

I'M SO PROUD OF THIS YOU GUYS. LOOK AT ME. I MADE THIS FROM THE GROUND UP WITH NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE TO MODDING OR LUA PROGRAMMING. Thank you to everyone that helped me! And I had fun making it! I want to make more of these! I've litterally already started on another one!

Feel more than welcome to look through my code and use snippets of it, since I did comment it pretty well to show how the code works! (although it's super messy. but it's my first time making a mod, so-)

I also included a credits.txt in the folder.

Download links:

For steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516929231

manual download: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/1312-kaji-character-mod/

(for non-steam versions of the game)

post-684687-0-98991500-1442095528_thumb.

(oh god why are the image sizes so big, help)

This fellow with the ram horns and the smiley face tail is Kaji. As a core from Alkia, Kaji has a fear core instead of a heart, and black blood instead of red. With it he can distort his body in horrifying ways to scare off creatures. 

FEAR CORE: 
Kaji starts with the fear core in his inventory. And since it is part of his body, you cannot remove it from your inventory. But should you happen to die and respawn, the fear core will respawn with you, giving you something to defend yourself with in your venerable state. 

You can equip the fear core in the weapon slot and scare off any creatures. He can hen feed off of their fear to regain a tiny portion of health. But at the cost of 15 sanity. He will be too tired to use it again for 20 seconds. (you can also press F to auto-target the nearest enemy) 

Having a soft spot for smaller creatures, Kaji will not use his fear core on innocent birds, rabbits, bees, or Chester, simply for the sake of feeding off of their fear. You’ll have to look around a bit to find something to scare! 

post-684687-0-27389900-1442096674_thumb.

PANIC ROAR: 
Should your health ever drop below 30, Kaji will automatically unleash a hideous roar that, unlike the regular scare, affects all monsters on screen. You become invincible while roaring, and all monsters will ignore you for 8 seconds, but costs 35 sanity.
After using your panic roar, Kaji will not be able to activate it again until he returns to good health (at least 110 hp and 75 sanity). You’ll get a speech prompt when it’s ready to be used again. 

Creatures under the effect of either roar/scare will give up on chasing you and ignore you for a given time. useful examples: liefs will stop chasing you, tallbirds won't notice you stealing their eggs, hound packs will run away and WONT come back.

post-684687-0-53321600-1442097050_thumb.

CHUBBY AND NEEDS TO EAT MORE OFTEN. 
The infrequent use of his fear core makes him hungry all the time, and he needs to eat more often to keep his strength up. I think. Don’t quote me on that one. This also leads to him being a bit “heavier” than most of the other characters. 
His hunger drains 15% faster than other characters, and he has a natural insulation value of +45 (slightly less than lowest tier winter clothing) 

GOOD WITH MAPS. 
As a cartographer, He has an increased map view range than other characters. (never fixed that bug where extra FoW unloaded on load, but it can be disabled in the mod config menu if it bothers you). 

TERRIFIED OF WATER. 
Kaji has always been deathly afraid of water, even in small amounts. His sanity will quickly drain near ponds and oceans, and he refuses to even equip fishing poles. 
(Yea, yea, I know there’s a lot of pointless “bells and whistles” in his stats, but they fit his character.)

COMPATIBILITY: 
He is compatible with RoG! (Though I have done very little testing). Probably won't be compatible with DST. (idk, is porting to dst hard? It sounds like it is. Plus, isn't beaverness different there? I need beaverness for Kaji) 

HOW’S MY BALANCING? Is he op? up? 
Any changes I should make to make him more fun to play? I actually don’t have much experience with this game, so you guys would know better than me. Let me know what you think in the stean discussion forums! 
Until then, you can balance him yourself by changing his stats in the mod config menu! 

BUGS? LET ME KNOW! 
If your game crashes, please send me a screenshot of the error screen so I can try and fix it! (and maybe tell me what you were doing before the game crashed) 
(Btw, uh, don’t try and save and quit while roaring. It’ll kinda break your save file. I’m working on that.) 

FUTURE UPDATES: 
If needed, I may do a balancing update, or a bugfix update, or a compatibility update. Or I might even change his design a bit, because although I did my best to make him fit the art style, I just am not very good at drawing. 

----UPDATE V1.1----

(it's nothing special really just some bug fixes and tweaks that I made a long time ago and forgot to update)

Thanks for all the positive feedback from the first release! I hardly got any complaints about this character's balancing, but I went ahead and tweaked the one aspect that was brought up by a few people.

---Overhaul of the “fear of water” attribute.--- 

-sanity drop rate now scales more accurately depending on how close you are to water. 
-fixed the overall buggy water detection. 
-added more panic voice lines for Kaji when he’s too close to water. His speech lines also vary depending on how close he is. 
-fear of water radius and drop rate is slightly less harsh in general 
-in return, he now takes longer to dry off after getting wet. (dries 20% slower) 

-updated some art aspects
-added a few speech lines for specific RoG items 
-fixed a bug where Kaji wasn’t afraid of certain types of ponds 

ABOUT DST: 
A lot of people have been asking about the DST version, and I did try to make one. But in the end I just couldn't get it to work, and I just can't figure out how to fix it. So it probably won't be out anytime soon. (Unless anyone would be willing to help me figure out what's wrong with it.)

But here's a goofy screenshot I got while testing it anyways.
fite_me_by_pickleplayer-d9b4et8.png

That's all for now!
I don't have any plans for future updates with this mod (unless some bugs pop up that need fixing).
So I hope you all enjoyed it! Because I'm going back to the other mod I've been working on.

Maybe he'll even be in it? Probably not the first build though. Maybe later on.

Archived