Keep the characters as close to the main game as possible for coop - Let willow start fires!

I love it when Willow freaks out and starts random fires... don't make her freeze when she's insane, that's nowhere near as fun. If PVP is a concern, let us make non-pvp games since many of us will be playing with friends and trying to survive.

I love the benefits and risks of willow, i want to play her the way she is, she could help keep a friend alive in winter and burn down the base if she goes crazy. Awesome stuff.

Don't change her, or any of them unless you have to (maxwell's starting gear, or the robot needing more gears, i get changing for instance).

We love these characters, let us play coop with them the way we were meant to.

DST effectively a different game than DS and will continue to branch off in different ways as time goes on, there's going to be a lot of changes that are different from the singleplayer game.

Actually, this is of no real value to this topic when you think about it. 

What the guy is saying here is not "I want everything in DST coop to be same as DS"

He is just saying :

"Please can we not have annoying PvP balancing for coop games?"

(And truth be told I think I do support him, but I think it would be kinda a hassle to write the game this way.)

Early on in the beta, DST Willow was similar to single player Willow.  But after a lot of testing, her start-fires-when-crazy trait proved a bit devastating to the coop experience. If you search the forums you will see lots of complaints about bases, whole farms, etc going up in flames. There was a time when Willows got insta-kicked, insta-banned, and insta-blamed for every fire-related accident in base.

Just wanted to add a bit of history to the discussion so you'll understand this wasn't a quick decision on Klei's part but the result of months of testing and hundreds of feedback.

Early on in the beta, DST Willow was similar to single player Willow.  But after a lot of testing, her start-fires-when-crazy trait proved a bit devastating to the coop experience. If you search the forums you will see lots of complaints about bases, whole farms, etc going up in flames. There was a time when Willows got insta-kicked, insta-banned, and insta-blamed for every fire-related accident in base.

Just wanted to add a bit of history to the discussion so you'll understand this wasn't a quick decision on Klei's part but the result of months of testing and hundreds of feedback.

That doesn't justify her not being immune from fire, though. Why not let Willow be immune to fire? Being immune to fire or not doesn't matter; if a griefer comes to burn stuff, the griefer will burn stuff regardless! The amount of griefers have now been reduced since people have started banning them from their servers and so they aren't that big of a threat anymore. Bring her immunity back, that is the only reason for people to actually take that character, considering that her lighter has durability now.

Someone made a mod for this. Maybe several... For a coop experience (which is the best way to play the game IMO) with 1-3 other people playing simultaneously, you can just have the server host install the mod and bingo. Or find a server that has it.

The biggest problem with fighting griefing, in all games where griefing is possible (definite most) is the fact, that Normal players are getting punished more than the griefers. 

People that grief all the time, do not plan on playing the game long, in most cases, there are some who can spend years only destroying game experince, but they are very rare. 

So when the anti-griefing rules become too much of a hassle to overcome them, they will just stop playing the game, and move somewhere else -  a win? NO, because if it's too hard to overcome them for a griefer, that means they are reall pain in the ass during normal gameplay. 

I will call an example of AWESOME or rather used to be awesome, Role Playing Just Cause 2 server. It was led by super awesome coder, and had awesome community, but obviously, since the server was good, people started to come and come and come. Along with the griefers, so because it was infuriating when one player in 2 minutes destroyed day of work done by whole fraction, the anti-griefing measures started poping up. And more, and more, and more. 

Now the server has 1/20th of the regular players it had, and what they do is mostly moan on forums about how clunky and non-user friendly the game has become. Funny thing, even though antigriefing is so strick that even faction members can't use their own bases smoothly, there are still some griefers, to find new ways that are not forbidden by the server code (yet).

This Roleplay server, and Don't Starve share some similarities, aka. It's a team effort, that is taking days, week's and more and can be severly harmed by a bystander. BUT there is one main difference, in Just Cause, it's imopssible to stop the problem, this server NEEDS at least 50 players on it to even work properly, not to mention it used to be 200+ every evening. 

Don't starve however is a game that is not suited for a bigger number of players. 

And we come back to the point, that you should not be playing the game that requires days of team effort, and one mistake may mean reset, with random people you do not know. 

What about players who have no friends having DST? Well it was a very poor choice to buy this game alone, but they could always post on steam forums or here, looking for players to play with. They would add some people, and finally find some they trust and can enjoy the game with. 

It is completely IMPOSSIBLE to prevent griefing in DST AND keep it's original dangerous feel and steep learning curve. (Which is what makes this game good). You can only choose on of these, and in my opinion, it's better to do it the Magicka 2 way - challenges can be ONLY played with steam friends. 

In case of DST have coop playable only private servers. PvP is other deal, no need to restrain players from playing PvP with random people, let them go there, kill be killed or whatever they want, maybe they will make some coop friends there. 

In case of DST have coop playable only private servers. PvP is other deal, no need to restrain players from playing PvP with random people, let them go there, kill be killed or whatever they want, maybe they will make some coop friends there. 

The devs are definitely not gonna do that

Overall though, it would be nice if some of the DST changes relative to the original were toggleable. The ones that are needed for public multiplayer anyways, like aforementioned Willow nerfs, plus decreased fire spread speed, Woodie changes, etc etc. There's already a mod for original Willow, idk about anything else though. Maybe there would be fewer people complaining about these changes if they were toggleable without mods, lol.

Archived