Fully disabling Reign of Giants content

I don't own Reign of Giants for my singleplayer game, I've never played with it, and I'd like to get quite a bit better at the base game before starting any Reign of Giants content. But I'd still like to be able to play Don't Starve Together with friends, without having to abruptly learn a ton of new mechanics that we've never seen before. And as far as I can tell, there's no way to completely disable RoG in DST - you can create a "no giants" world, but you can still get wet or overheated, and rabbit holes still collapse in the spring, and there isn't even an option to disable deserts. Is there some way to completely remove all RoG content from DST? And if there isn't, is there any chance that such an option could be added in the future?

@vacantVisionary, Hmm, No Giants should disable Spring and Summer, as well as disabling deserts and deciduous forests. That's the closest you can get to disabling RoG entirely, and the main thing its not addressing is wetness, which should usually not be too bad in autumn.

I don't think Klei wants to support lack of RoG-- it means maintaining two separate copies of the game and that's a huge hassle, especially when both sides are under active development.

It would maybe be doable to mod it in, but there are lots of small parity differences that would be difficult to nail down.

The full list of modifications of the No Giants preset:

{"start_setpeice", 	"DefaultStart"},					{"start_node",		"Clearing"},			{"season_start",	"autumn"},			{"world_size",		"large"},			{"cave_entrance",	"never"},            {"spring",			"noseason"},            {"summer",			"noseason"},            {"bearger",			"never"},            {"goosemoose",		"never"},            {"dragonfly",		"never"},            {"deciduousmonster","never"},            {"buzzard",			"never"},            {"catcoon",			"never"},            {"moles",			"never"},            {"lightninggoat",	"never"},            {"houndmound",		"never"},            {"rock_ice",		"never"},            {"cactus",			"never"},            {"frograin",		"never"},            {"wildfires",		"never"},

The biomes are not listed up there, but are turned off (through the listing of world generation tasks, which aren't really human-readable unless you cross-reference a bunch of files).

but that's Don't Starve in a nutshell.

... but I'd like to at least dole it out slowly.

There's a reason that Reign of Giants is recommended only for experienced players. And I'm not an experienced player, and I see no reason that Don't Starve Together should be restricted only to experienced players.

Like, look. I'll put together a mod if I have to, but I really feel like this should be a default option.

and I see no reason that Don't Starve Together should be restricted only to experienced players.

well, I do think that DST is much easier than normal DSRoG. But that is also coming from a guy that can solo Ornstein and Smough.

Like, look. I'll put together a mod if I have to, but I really feel like this should be a default option.

don't worry, there's a World setting presset, as Rez mentioned above that disables pretty much all the new content, wetness is not much of a hasle without spring, there is no spring or summer(only Autumn and Winter), Overheating only comes if you're standing in the middle of a forest fire or something, and as Rezecib said with his half-machine brain, the RoG biomes(deserts and Birch forest) are also disabled.

So there's only wetness(which is not much different from normal DS rain mechanics) and overheating, which won't happen normally. You'll be fine.

I do however think there's a mod somewhere for that, if you're still willing to disable it. Try looking in the Workshop.

World Presets are bugged at the moment.

I presume because of the new UI update that will add another option in them, related to world gen.

All presets generate the Survival Together, then override some stuff.

This causes some issues because some overrides need to happen during world gen.

Clear example, Default preset doesn't generate teleportato pieces, despite them being there in the level definition.

I noticed it before: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/55657-what-happened-to-worldgen/#entry649853

@vacantVisionary, Hmm, so I took a look again, and the tasks that the preset specifies definitely leave out the ones that could generate deciduous forest biomes and deserts, but you were right that when I selected it and generated a world, it still generated them. So this looks like a bug, and looking at the bug report forums there is a submission for it, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any attention, so I'll bump it with what specifics I understand of the underlying problem.

From a gameplay perspective, though, the biomes themselves without their normal occupants don't introduce much new stuff, so you should be fine playing it as it generates. But I really do hope they fix this, as it seems symptomatic of a larger problem.

Okay so I guess my question is: how do i disable birch forests and deserts? They weren't disabled when I used the "no giants" preset last night.

When hosting a new world -

Select biomes as 'classic'

Select summer as 'none'

Select wildfires as 'none'

Select tumbleweeds as 'none'

Select mini-glaciers as 'none'

Select cactuses as 'none'

select moleworms (also catcoons, buzzards, etc.) as 'none'

select hound mound as 'none'

select poison birchnut as 'none'

Turn off the four giants

Save your Preset so you don't have to do it again every time.

I think that would accomplish what you wanted (or as close to it as you can get)

Archived