What do Scaled tiles do?

So, I got 3 scales by using a Pan flute and 60 gunpowder (>_>) and I made a Scaled Chest, Scalemail and some Scaled tiles with the ones I had. I made the Scaled tiles the last. When I made them, I thought they would be kind of like permanent light source for ground and would generate a little bit of heat, but when placing them, it seemed like they did nothing when I placed them down. It's as if they're like some sort of decoration like a potted fern and have no other use for them. Is that it? It has no other use than decoration? Is it something that's in-progress still? If it is, then I'd suggest that it would be tiles which would generate a little bit of heat and would be a permanent ground light source.

So, you could potentially have a base without flingomatics and still go through summer? Hmm, interresting, but I'd like if they provided some light source as well. And it would be nice if the other tiles did something too other than being just a decoration, so say carpeted flooring would have a slight warmth insulation, and checkered flooring keeping cool insulation.

As far as I'm informed, fire doesn't spread on scaled ground, making it an useful caution (if your lightning rods fails you) in a plant mishmash, such as casual grass and twigs farms and other flammable entities. Scaled tiles and cobblestones also make an interesting combination in base designing, while still protecting structures from successively catching fire. I think wildfires and lightning strikes can still combust individual plants into fire, though.

Overall, it's a nice touch to the game and it is pretty darn handy. I'm interested in seeing more giant-based types of tiles (and items, if you may) and further applications of them. Thick fur tiles could cause a passive heat increase in the ambient that passes upwards of them? A deerclops coat could make items that stand on it be waterproof/water-resistant? Could down feathers be a fire-resistant carpet, thus giving you a nice feel of chill in summer and giving you a small sanity plus (and decreases your temperature a bit), whilst in winter it could give a slight insanity area?

After all, these little details are what keep the game alive. They are really neat and improve gameplay.

So, I got 3 scales by using a Pan flute and 60 gunpowder (>_>) and I made a Scaled Chest, Scalemail and some Scaled tiles with the ones I had. I made the Scaled tiles the last. When I made them, I thought they would be kind of like permanent light source for ground and would generate a little bit of heat, but when placing them, it seemed like they did nothing when I placed them down. It's as if they're like some sort of decoration like a potted fern and have no other use for them. Is that it? It has no other use than decoration? Is it something that's in-progress still? If it is, then I'd suggest that it would be tiles which would generate a little bit of heat and would be a permanent ground light source.

From what I've heard, Scaled Turf prevents fires. From new information off the Don't Starve Wiki, it's just natural fires. Manual fires can still be lit (which doesn't exactly stop griefers using torches and burning down anything, but the best solution for griefer prevention is a private server, so none of the problems with griefers affect me. 

Scales are pretty much useless. By the time you're able to get scales, you probably already have several flingomatics covering your base, so preventing natural fires is irrelevant.

Now, if scales somehow stopped people from setting stuff on fire or otherwise destroying stuff, and they couldn't be dug out by anyone except the person who places them, they would be incredible. In that case, I would absolutely, definitely make it a priority to farm them as soon as possible. Currently though they might as well not exist.

Archived