A gradual health regen instead of insta-regen of health?

I'm soon going to be getting back on working on the first mod project me and the rest of the team have planned, which is Creeps in the Deeps. My second mod project, which I'll be working on (and of which the name of I cannot reveal), I was planning on adding a whole new way of regenerating health. Right now, you get enough of good health recovering food items, auch as a Dragonpie or Fish sticks or some general healing items like Healing salves and Honey pultices and bam, your health is back from critical to about maximum in like 5 seconds. This is often how the game becomes easy and game becomes more lenient towards combat type instead of a survival type as you become more and more skilled in getting the items to easily recover your health or learn to aimply kite. A lot of the recent updates in the game have been related to combat in some way, be it PvP or PvE.

So, what if instead, when you're attacked, you not only lose a proportion of your health, but also start to bleed out, losing like a teth of the amount of health you lost already from being hit/bitten by another player or a mob per second, meaning that within 10 seconds, you would have lost twice as much health of that what you lost by simply being hit or bitten. The bleeding would last for like a minute, whilst gradually slowing down as time goes by (so really you wouldn't lose exactly twice as much in total if you add the bleeding effect in, but slightly less) and once you stop bleeding, your health, very slowly would then regenrate, say like 2 health per minute. But what if you've being hit or bitten when you have low health and then bleed out? What you could then do is bandage yourself via leaves, petals or silk. Leave and petals merely stopping the bleeding and your health would stay still and you'd need to wait till the bleeding effect's time goes away in order to regenerate health, so really leaves and petals, while they wouldn't be as useful, in sense they are that instead of losing health at least your health won't go down in the meanwhile of the bleeding effect still in tact. If silk, however is used for bandaging your wounds, you'd instantly start regenerating health without the bleeding effect's delay. Well, what about the healing items? I could just use those while bleeding out and bandaging wouldn't be much of a need. Well, instead of gaining a lot of health, say from a healing salve, then when you use that to heal, you would then in the bonus of your currently regenerating health would get a whooping +1 health per second for 20 seconds. What if I use a healing salve or something that regenerates health while the bleeding effect is still in tact? Then your bleeding effect would simply be sped by, so if you lose -2 health per second and not use anything to bandage up before using healing items to recover, then overall you'd be losing 1 less for 20 seconds, so really it would overall be wiser to bandage up before healing. If say you use 2 healing salves after bandaging and there is a 2 second gap between when you used them, then for the first 2 seconds you'd regenerate +1 health per second, for the next 18 seconds you'd regenerate +2 health per second and then as one healing salve's effect would go off, you'd be left with the last 2 seconds of regenerating +1 health per second, so really it is all based on how the math will be programmed in.

If you're kind of looking forward to the release of this mod project, tell me what you think if this kind of gradual health regeneration. The mod project will be looking into overhauling the whole game, and I'll be starting to work on it once Creeps in the Deeps is finished and Through the Ages comes out (notes the mod will be for Don't Starve Together Reign of Giants Through the Ages only). If you have any other suggestions as to what you'd want in game to be changed via this mod, please be sure to post them in this topic.

And I think I should've put this in the Mods and Tools section of DST, however not many people pay attention to that section and I need to know the general opinion of DST players.

Whatever you feel is best for your mod project, man. I mean personally it sounds like an interesting mechanic and I'd love to test it through your mod before determining which I like more, but ultimately it's your choice.

Gradual health regeneration would be good. But healing salves should be instant.

Since you say this will be a fundamental overhaul, here are some other ideas to make the game more challenging:

• If you're under 20% health, you should slowly bleed to death (regardless of what you eat) and the only way to stop the bleeding should be by using a healing salve or poultice to get it back up to over 20%.
  • If you start freezing to death in the winter, any food you are carrying on you should also freeze and become unconsumable, Thawing them should take a while, like with the deep freezer mod.
  • Night time should have a greater passive sanity drain than dusk.
  • Bees should attack you if you pick the flower they are currently pollinating.
  • Charlie should attack much sooner after you're in the dark, and his attack should also decrease your sanity by 50.
  • Seeing another player die (i.e. when they are within a certain distance) should decrease your sanity by 50.

I'll add more later.

That sounds really cool! Definitely adds a touch more realism, and I like the idea of slow regen. I have to admit though, it would be a pain in most combat situations if the enemy lands a hit in, because then you're simultaneously bleeding out and having to flee an enemy. I guess it depends on the mechanics of patching yourself up, but there you go. And it sounds like it's a mod for more advanced players, so that'll be fun.

QUESTIONS:

What will you do with harmful food (monster meat, taffy, uncooked red mushrooms, cooked green mushrooms)?

Plants that hurt to pick (cacti, spiny bushes)?

What happens if an enemy comes up and attacks you after you've used a salve or silk? EG You finished with a treeguard, and because the world hates you a hound rushes you and takes a chunk out.

Is health the only thing you're doing, or is sanity getting an overhaul too? Hunger?

These don't have to be answered just now, but they were the first things that came to mind after reading.

That sounds really cool! Definitely adds a touch more realism, and I like the idea of slow regen. I have to admit though, it would be a pain in most combat situations if the enemy lands a hit in, because then you're simultaneously bleeding out and having to flee an enemy. I guess it depends on the mechanics of patching yourself up, but there you go. And it sounds like it's a mod for more advanced players, so that'll be fun.

QUESTIONS:

What will you do with harmful food (monster meat, taffy, uncooked red mushrooms, cooked green mushrooms)?

Plants that hurt to pick (cacti, spiny bushes)?

What happens if an enemy comes up and attacks you after you've used a salve or silk? EG You finished with a treeguard, and because the world hates you a hound rushes you and takes a chunk out.

Is health the only thing you're doing, or is sanity getting an overhaul too? Hunger?

These don't have to be answered just now, but they were the first things that came to mind after reading.

The combat will seem harder overall, however because of the realism in-tact, players won't be the only ones who will be able to bleed out; every mob that is supposedly flesh and blood will have this, which includes mobs like the spiders, so if you use a weapon which deals like 60 damage, you could hit them once, and over time, that spider will bleed out (I think the monsters having purple blood would be cool as well. And yes, blood will spill out as you or some other fleshly mob is attacked. For clockworks, this wouldn't be a thing, however after like a half of their health is taken, they would become broken and when turning from whole to broken, they would loot some stuff; so you'd get some loot when you're half way and some more if you beat them down. Clockworks would not regenerate health, though if killed, after a full moon may be, they would respawn (A mr skitts would come out and they'd appear). Tree guards are made out of wood, so instead of blood it would be slivers being dropped and because of the material that Tree guard is built up on, he would be one of the mobs that wouldn't lose health gradually, while could still regenerate health.

1) I'm guessing that for a few seconds, you'd gradually lose health as well (but not bleed out) if you ate something like Monster meat which takes away health.

2) I think that you would still bleed out when picking them, however because picking Cactus takes away (I think) 4 health, furing the 60 seconds, the health lost would be very small amount. Or may be, the amount of time it takes for you to stop bleeding would be also determined by the amount of health you lost when you were hit or bitten.

3) If you used silk, leaves of trees (yup, they'll drop some of those. Well, the leafy ones anyway) or petals, they would be on the player while the player needs it, so if the bleeding effects goes away by the time someone else hits or bites the player, the player will just normally lose health and get the bleeding effect again. However, if the player is bitten or hit while the bandage item is applied and the bleeding effect is still in tact, then the bandage would have a chance to be hit or bitten off and if that happens, then the player would get the previous bleeding effect up to the point where it would be if the player had not applied some bandage item, plus with the added bleeding effect from the bite or hit after the bandage was applied. And once you have a bandage on, you won't be able to take it off and it will automatically go off once the bleeding effect is done.

4) Many things, including those stats as well, not to mention new stats! Creeps in the Deeps already will introduce two new stats, which will be Thirst and Oxygen meters, whilst the second mod project will include also stats like Energy and Excretion (Excretion is already in a mod. I am willing to collaborate certain mods whose features would be great to have for the second mod project, so that those features wouldn't need to be programmed in again). Hunger, for example will take much longer to drain. While the day length will be tripled (so, every irl minute will be every DS world hour) to 24 minutes for each day to last, hunger will probably take even longer than that to drain and not just 3 times as slower, as there are other stats to take care of. However, foods will most likely give less filling to your stomach (probably 3 times as less) to sort of make up for it and so you won't have to make foods that give you more hunger than what your max is (which is something I am kind of distasteful of myself; Eating meaty stews which give 150 hunger as Wigfrid while having the max only as 120).

Sidenote: I'm also planning on making some features (not just items) useful again, so say to make it useful to bait traps with carrots to get rabbits in them in some way. What I currently thought of is that you couldn't put a trap too close to the rabbit hole (or may be make it so that all rabbit holes in one area are connected and if a trap is put on one rabbit hole, then from another hole two rabbits would later come out, which means that you'd need to put a trap around every rabbit hole nearby in order to get rabbits without baiting), and that the rabbit would recognise an empty trap and would not go near it, even when chased and would only go towards the trap if the trap if baited with a carrot. If a trap is baited with a berry, the rabbit would not walk towards it, but also wouldn't try to avoid it, so you could also use that kind of a strategy to get rabbits. And because baiting would be needed more frequently, the amount of morsels and the amount of hunger which a morsel gives would be significantly higher than that of a Carrot or a Berry.

Woah. Woah.

Creeps in the Deeps already will introduce two new stats, which will be Thirst and Oxygen meters

THIRST YES I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SO LONG. And if we have oxygen meters, does that mean we get to swim? I'm going to be so excited if we get to swim.

All around this sounds really cool and solid! I'm sure I'll die in a lot of painful ways, but until then, I'm excited to see it develop! Thanks for answering my questions!

Woah. Woah.

THIRST YES I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SO LONG. And if we have oxygen meters, does that mean we get to swim? I'm going to be so excited if we get to swim.

All around this sounds really cool and solid! I'm sure I'll die in a lot of painful ways, but until then, I'm excited to see it develop! Thanks for answering my questions!

I think you kind of misunderstood about the mod; there's gonna be TWO mod projects that I will work on; one will be Creeps in the Deeps, which is already in development and will have everything to do with underwater world and in stuff that's relevant to those two stats, and the second one will be [insert the name of the second mod project, which I cannot reveal atm] based on overhaul and stuff. However, to play Creeps in the Deeps, you would be able to play it without requiring the second mod project (though I think some other mods will be necessary for it to work as well), whilst the second mod project, which is the one I was talking about in this topic, will need the Creeps in the Deeps mod project to work as well as some other mods. And to twist some things a little and prevent cheating before the ... the mod will be made to crash the game upon having the console enabled or if any mods that it does not require/does not include in the list of being available to use whilst playing it will also crash the game. This will be intentional, so when the mod first comes out, there will be a list of mods required for the mod to work, and a list of mods which are allowed to be used, so that nothing godmode like can be used for it. Not to mention that the mod's files will be secure so you can't look into the files and find out about things without actually playing the mod, because ...

This will be intentional, so when the mod first comes out, there will be a list of mods required for the mod to work, and a list of mods which are allowed to be used, so that nothing godmode like can be used for it. Not to mention that the mod's files will be secure so you can't look into the files and find out about things without actually playing the mod, because ...

AH, I see.

Let me say I'm excited to see both, and now you've definitely got my curiosity peaked. Is there a timeline for the completion of both mods?

AH, I see.

Let me say I'm excited to see both, and now you've definitely got my curiosity peaked. Is there a timeline for the completion of both mods?

We don't have a time goal to be exact, which means that if we don't rush we can improve on the Creeps in the Deeps mod project, though we're hoping to release a public beta asap for Creeps in the Deeps. Since I now have summer holidays, I'll be resuming to work on Creeps in the Deeps very soon. Hopefully gonna get a drawing board tomorrow to do some texture art :)

In terms of the second mod project, some of the team members are up for, some are not and most I'm not sure. But either way, the second mod project is quite a long way ahead, and so right now I'm only getting planning and ideas in for it.

Would armor prevent bleeding? Because if you're wearing a logsuit and a football helmet it doesn't really make sense to me that every attack would make you bleed. Would only attacks from sharp sources (i.e. Not pig punches/koalephant smacks) cause bleeding? Would honey poultices bandage and give bonus health regeneration? Because they ARE bandages, technically speaking.

Besides my questions, sounds neat. I could dig that.

Would armor prevent bleeding? Because if you're wearing a logsuit and a football helmet it doesn't really make sense to me that every attack would make you bleed. Would only attacks from sharp sources (i.e. Not pig punches/koalephant smacks) cause bleeding? Would honey poultices bandage and give bonus health regeneration? Because they ARE bandages, technically speaking.

It would make sense for Bandages to stop bleeding, maybe also healing salves, but mainly honey bandages.

Hmm, good thought! I guess the honey pultice could may be give 1.5 health regen per second for 20 seconds and would work like a bandage, so kind of like silk + healing salve, but slightly better :p

• Can... can you add a recipe for the Deadly Feast in one of your mods? O__O
  • Aside from bleeding, will you also add... broken bones? (from blunt force attacks like Koalefant Smacks, Pig Punches, etc.)?
  • If so, will you add something to aid this like... a splint? Could be made from twigs, and silk (amount is debatable)?

<p>...

• Can... can you add a recipe for the Deadly Feast in one of your mods? O__O
  • Aside from bleeding, will you also add... broken bones? (from blunt force attacks like Koalefant Smacks, Pig Punches, etc.)?
  • If so, will you add something to aid this like... a splint. Could be made from twigs, and silk (amount is debatable)?
The idea sounds neat, however, it would be very and I mean very inconvenient. If this were to be in, then even the biggest professionals of the game would become total noobs, and though what I'm hoping to provide with it is a new experience of the game, keeping the difficulty steady enough so that professionals would after a while could be at about a moderate level when playing with the mod.

Imagine when fighting a boss and you break a bone every single time the boss hits you; consider that bosses' attacks will be overall harder to dodge and have more randomised order of the attacks, by the time you manage to get one of your broken bones steady, the rest of the bones in your body would already be broken. Not confirming anything here, but me and whomever I will work with on the mod could try and make it balanced, so that may be there's a 5% chance of breaking a bone from being hit by certain mobs, or may be the chance would depend on the mob's size, attack damage and on the shape of whatever in the texture the mob uses to hit you.

@Johnnyprofane sorry, it seems I forgot to answer your question... In terms of armour, I guess it could decrease the chance of you getting the bleeding effect, as though if you're wearing a log suit for torso and a football helmet for the top of your head, you still have many areas which are unprotected, which are your face, neck, arms and legs. Not sure if it would be fit to have some sort of leg armour or armour for feet (for arms definitely a no, because for many torso dress items, such as a Puffy vest, will become jacket like and cover the character's arms as well. In terma of say winter whether you'll be able to cover other body parts with warm clothes, that's a yes and you will have more equip slots, so in order to not start freezing for a certain part of your body, you'll need to wear something in winter for your neck (eg scarf), head (eg winter hat), torso + arms (eg puffy vest), hands (eg mittens), legs (eg thick pants) and feet (eg winter boots)).

@Johnnyprofane sorry, it seems I forgot to answer your question... In terms of armour, I guess it could decrease the chance of you getting the bleeding effect, as though if you're wearing a log suit for torso and a football helmet for the top of your head, you still have many areas which are unprotected, which are your face, neck, arms and legs. Not sure if it would be fit to have some sort of leg armour or armour for feet (for arms definitely a no, because for many torso dress items, such as a Puffy vest, will become jacket like and cover the character's arms as well. In terma of say winter whether you'll be able to cover other body parts with warm clothes, that's a yes and you will have more equip slots, so in order to not start freezing for a certain part of your body, you'll need to wear something in winter for your neck (eg scarf), head (eg winter hat), torso + arms (eg puffy vest), hands (eg mittens), legs (eg thick pants) and feet (eg winter boots)).

This sounds good. I support this.

Archived