Change Webber for DST

Webber's mechanics are really problematic for the multiplayer game. They basically incentivize the creation of spider-filled death-lands. Usually this is by non-troll players just following the mechanics to stay alive. Webber can also be used to grief, although takes some time to build up. Best-case scenario is either all the Webbers playing far away from the non-Webbers, or else not utilizing their mechanics to their full potential. Neither situation is fun, for Webbers, non-Webbers, or sometimes both. Here's my thoughts on how to change each of his mechanics:

1. Can walk on spider web without speed panalty, and without waking spiders in their dens. Both good, and not much griefing potential.
  2. Pigs, bunnymen, and catcoons are hostile. This encourages Webbers to either play on their own half of the map, or kill everything non-spider. It fits in well with his character, so I recommend something to help Webber fit in with other characters:
    • Totally Normal Boy Mask. Costs 1 boards (papyrus?), 1 charcoal (to draw! :-), and 1 rope (string). While worn, Webber has normal hostility/neutrality for NPCs. Slowly drains sanity?
  3. Non-queen spiders are neutral. Keep as-is.
  4. Spider queens are neutral. This encourages spamming dens on the map, since when queens spawn, it's no problem. Queens are balanced as a big threat to normal players, so having them neutral to one character really causes problems for the others - queens should be hostile to Webber too. In-game explanation: "Queens can smell that you're not one of their children. Watch out, Webber!"
  5. Can upgrade / create dens. This too, encourages spamming dens all over the map. With hostile queens, this is mostly mitigated. Still a bit of a problem, so I'd make them both a bit more expensive instead of removing the abilities.
  6. Can befriend spiders with meat. He needs some way to have battle-buddies, and pigs are off-limits. This should stay as-is.

Webber's mechanics are really problematic for the multiplayer game. They basically incentivize the creation of spider-filled death-lands. Usually this is by non-troll players just following the mechanics to stay alive. Webber can also be used to grief, although takes some time to build up. Best-case scenario is either all the Webbers playing far away from the non-Webbers, or else not utilizing their mechanics to their full potential. Neither situation is fun, for Webbers, non-Webbers, or sometimes both. Here's my thoughts on how to change each of his mechanics:

1. Can walk on spider web without speed panalty, and without waking spiders in their dens. Both good, and not much griefing potential.
  2. Pigs, bunnymen, and catcoons are hostile. This encourages Webbers to either play on their own half of the map, or kill everything non-spider. It fits in well with his character, so I recommend something to help Webber fit in with other characters:
    • Totally Normal Boy Mask. Costs 1 boards (papyrus?), 1 charcoal (to draw! :-), and 1 rope (string). While worn, Webber has normal hostility/neutrality for NPCs. Slowly drains sanity?
  3. Non-queen spiders are neutral. Keep as-is.
  4. Spider queens are neutral. This encourages spamming dens on the map, since when queens spawn, it's no problem. Queens are balanced as a big threat to normal players, so having them neutral to one character really causes problems for the others - queens should be hostile to Webber too. In-game explanation: "Queens can smell that you're not one of their children. Watch out, Webber!"
  5. Can upgrade / create dens. This too, encourages spamming dens all over the map. With hostile queens, this is mostly mitigated. Still a bit of a problem, so I'd make them both a bit more expensive instead of removing the abilities.
  6. Can befriend spiders with meat. He needs some way to have battle-buddies, and pigs are off-limits. This should stay as-is.

you realize webber starts with one egg sac and making another one actually requires work?

you realize webber starts with one egg sac and making another one actually requires work?

Yes, I'm well aware of the normal mode of creating a den. According to the wiki, to create a new den requires 12 silk, 6 spider glands, and 6 papyrus. However, queens can spawn new dens, and the dens they emerge from are ready to spawn another queen after growing to level 3. So, Webbers have two methods of creating more dens, and the queen-spawn actually leads to an exponential growth of spiders on the server. Without any mechanics discouraging it, and the usfulness of spiders encouraging it, Webbers will eventually cover the world in spider dens.

I'm playing with a webber on my wilderness game and yea, this is a very big problem. A whole quarter of the map is covered with spiders and we need to set up walls just to keep wandering spider queens out of our territory. Without the old bell to destroy huge clusters of nests there isn't any practical way to get rid of them. Goodbye rocky biome.

I don't understand. No one is forcing your Webber to plant nests everywhere. Just because he has the ability doesn't mean he has to do it. On an all Webber server, sure. But when there's 5 other characters he's just trolling. Willow has 3s of fire immunity plus a free lighter, does that mean she should go around burning everything down? If there's only one Webber mixed in with other characters, just use his spider eggs as a means to relocate a nest closer to your base to farm. Just make sure to destroy a different nest to even it out. Other characters have to wait until a nest evolves into a tier 3 before being able to relocate it. Spider queens should not be hostile to Webber. If your Webber is planting spider nests and upgrading the **** out of them for no reason, you're getting trolled. A character shouldn't be nerfed just because they have the potential to troll. Look at what happened to Willow. And guess what? She was still 100% capable of trolling. Who cares about 50% fire damage when you're going to get kicked anyways? Willow can burn bases down. Webber can spawn spider nests and even bring spiders into base. Wickerbottom can use lightning on teammates or summon tentacles. WX can eat all your gears. Any character can build pig houses inside base to troll Webber. See where I'm going with this?

Now on to the positive. I really like your idea for the mask. It gives players the opportunity to play their favorite character while still being 100% compatible with the characters their friends chose. And I don't think it needs to drain sanity as it already has enough inherent downsides. Those being that it takes up the head equipment slot and that it makes spiders hostile again. 

Archived