Easier way to take down spider nests. Guaranteed.

To some, I'm sure this tactic seems obvious but to others I think it would be rather helpful.

In my world, there are little to no pigs yet there are many level 3 spider nests. Taking on a nest that big by yourself is practically a death wish. No amount of log armor will save you there.

The strategy I use is as followed...

1. Build a Fire Dart.

Set up some bird traps and catch some redbirds so you can get feathers. Etc etc etc...

2. Scavenge for pine cones.

This will be somewhat crucial later on.

3. Plant trees around the nest.

4. Attack during the day.

After shooting your dart at then nest it will be set on fire and so will surrounding objects. Such as the newly planted trees. The reasons why you attack during the day is that the spiders will NOT attack you. They will run around for a bit and then go back to sleep. The nest will take enough damage to deplete and most of the spiders will die. The stragglers can then be easily taken out single handedly. However, sometimes attacking a sleeping spider will alert other nearby spiders, so be careful.

5. Loot

Charcoal, silk, monster meat its all yours! Horay!

well, now that spider queens can be up and about making new nests, this flaw is mitigated somewhat, assuming you don't kill the nests off too quickly.

especially, since the spider hat's biggest application is FIGHTING spider related mobs, particularly the queen.

I bet it would be really handy for largescale hound attacks, but lets face it, many of us would rather fight the hounds using a less risky way, especially if the hound battle takes long enough to deplete the hat. Under the wrong circumstances, you could end up with two flavours of mobs after you, at least until the hounds usual habits kick in and they aggro the spiders on their own.

haven't had much of a problem with them either, but then again, what other applications for the spider hat can you think of currently? I mean, it really only facilitates combat against queens, and that's relatively easy to do, even without a hat.

haven't had much of a problem with them either, but then again, what other applications for the spider hat can you think of currently? I mean, it really only facilitates combat against queens, and that's relatively easy to do, even without a hat.

Well the other day the spider hat saved my life when I was facing three queens at once. But yeah, pretty much queens and that's it.