[mod]additional guards

This is a simple mod that adds 10 new guard types (two for each corp, one enforcer and one extra for Sankaku because I like drones).

Additionaly existing guards have an increased range of vision aswell as some small tweaks.

Don't judge me too hard, because I'm not an expert modder and I have no experience with .lua, and it is an early stage of Invisible, inc modding. I just made this over a weekend for fun, but I thought I might share it, as a proof of concept if nothing else.

I know there are issues. Some guards have their sightlines messed up when they stand in certain angles, and none of the new guards have any custom names, because the game won't let me edit strings.lua for some reason, which makes it difficult to tell the difference between new and old types. If anyone knows the solution I would be happy if you could tell me.

I probably won't make an update, because it is just an experiment, but feel free to tell me what you think.

To install, replace scripts.lua in the InvisibleInc folder(should be Steam\steamapps\common\InvisibleInc if you are on steam) to uninstall, verify steamcache, reinstall the game or use a backup.

scripts.zip

I wonder if it's possible to take the courier model and turn it into an agent?

Yes, I messed with this (and  had some fun played with Decker as Elite Enforcer and Int as MKII/Psychic)

in \scripts\sim\unitdefs\agentefs.lua you can find local agent_templates and strings like "kanim = "kanim_stealth_male"," (that's Deckers's)

if you change it to "kanim = "kanim_courier_male" he will use Courier's body (and you can change everything else, like portraits and descriptions too)

probably less broken way should be to add Courier as new agent in agentefs.lua and add him to detention roster in serverdefs.lua

different anims descriptions in ...scripts\client\animdefs.lua

and If you want to try guard's model you'd better make default "wireframe" commented: add "--" before ""data/anims/characters/corp_FTM/ftm_med_overlay.abld"," (that's probably place-holder or something) and make uncommented (and on next string) something like "--"data/anims/characters/corp_neutral/enforcer.abld"," 

next it's better to change "anims = commonanims.male.default_anims_2h," to "anims = commonanims.male.default_anims_unarmed," (to use unarmed idle, instead of "imaginary rifle")

also you can change "animMap = GUARD_ANIMS" to "animMap = AGENT_ANIMS" (because guards didn't have "drag body" animations and became invisible instead of it), but it will affect poses of everyone who use that skin (overwatch looks not so fiery and dangerous for agents, you know), so it's better to add completely new animations build table 

there also some fancy things to make game looks weird (by changing scale of character for example) or broken (by changing male and female animations)

If I understand game files correctly, game builds any "skin" from parts in kwad's folder of same name and it's probably not possible to mix parts of characters without creating folder with needed parts in it, so I stop to messing with files for now, until somebody find a way to extract and open resources properly)

Yeah, you can mix and match resources basically how you want, but if you want to make your own it will be trickier.

I just wish I could edit strings. It is right there, not encrypted at all, but the game really doesn't want me to do that.

I am excited to see what we can make out of this in the future. There is potential for some great stuff, but there are still a few missing pieces.

The upcoming DLC might shed some light over this, but we can just wait and hope.

I hope the DLC brings offical Mod Suport. It might be time consuming but it would be great for both sites. We have more to play with and Klei can see out great inventions

Edit: I also have to thank Klei, I learn pretty fast Lua with there game.

I know there are issues. Some guards have their sightlines messed up when they stand in certain angles, and none of the new guards have any custom names, because the game won't let me edit strings.lua for some reason, which makes it difficult to tell the difference between new and old types. If anyone knows the solution I would be happy if you could tell me.

I haven't looked into modding this game at all, and I don't know which files you're working with, but strings.lua seems mostly to do with localization. E.g. it's there so you can make everything be language specific. For example, having Dr.Xu be called "ドクター徐" for, say, the Japanese localization.

But you don't need to use strings.lua. You can simply define the string directly. For example instead of having a line like:

name = STRINGS.GUARDS.CAPTAIN,

You'd have it say something like

name = "Painmaster 3000",

Like I said, I haven't looked into modding this specific game but I suppose that would work?

I haven't looked into modding this game at all, and I don't know which files you're working with, but strings.lua seems mostly to do with localization. E.g. it's there so you can make everything be language specific. For example, having Dr.Xu be called "ドクター徐" for, say, the Japanese localization.

But you don't need to use strings.lua. You can simply define the string directly. For example instead of having a line like:

name = STRINGS.GUARDS.CAPTAIN,

You'd have it say something like

name = "Painmaster 3000",

Like I said, I haven't looked into modding this specific game but I suppose that would work?

I didn't think about that. Will have to try that out.

I haven't had much time to mod lately, but I'll try to make some more now that summer is approaching.

Archived