HELP with Road Turf

Lampofulmine

So, I was finally able to get the .png file of the road turf but the result was a bit ... too much... Now i find myself with a .png that has 49 different textures (7x7). 

Anyway my question is, here in this png. there are two different type of "texture", the GREY one and the WHITE one. What does each refer to ?! Is the grey bit "theoretically" the borders of the road and the white bit is the one left blank where you simply add the road texture afterwards ?!

I dont understand how this works. Lets say I wanna create another road with borders of a different color, am i supposed to color the grey bit then ?!

xbfqk4.png

@Lampofulmine, I'm just hazarding a guess here, but I think the grey parts are actual the road parts (it could go either way, but it makes more sense to me personally that the white would eb the transparent parts of the texture). Which road turf is it? I'm having trouble recognizing it. it doesn't look like the cobblestone road or the naturally occurring path in the overworld. Is it from the caves? I don't spend a lot of time down there.

One way you could test it is replacing this file in the game files with a colored version (color in either the grays or the whites, maybe bright red or something so it's noticeable), and see how it turns up in game, before you start putting in a lot of work to make it look like the unique texture you want to create? I wish I could help more, but I don't have time to scan the game files at the moment and do my own testing! Good luck though! 

(my second guess is that that texture looks like some kind of transparency map?)

@Lampofulmine, I'm just hazarding a guess here, but I think the grey parts are actual the road parts (it could go either way, but it makes more sense to me personally that the white would eb the transparent parts of the texture). Which road turf is it? I'm having trouble recognizing it. it doesn't look like the cobblestone road or the naturally occurring path in the overworld. Is it from the caves? I don't spend a lot of time down there.

One way you could test it is replacing this file in the game files with a colored version (color in either the grays or the whites, maybe bright red or something so it's noticeable), and see how it turns up in game, before you start putting in a lot of work to make it look like the unique texture you want to create? I wish I could help more, but I don't have time to scan the game files at the moment and do my own testing! Good luck though! 

(my second guess is that that texture looks like some kind of transparency map?)

Yes, it's the alpha layer. The question is a bit awry, since RGB and alpha are independent. Lamp probably meant to ask what parts have the texture and which ones are transparent.

I'd also opt for the grey one, because total transparency requires total white or total black.

If you want to use this alpha, you need not colour it at all, but only make a texture to use with it. (I think, I never made turfs before)

Thanks @Taryn and @Mobbstar, the thing is that I still don't get what the grey parts are ! Cause to me it looks like the grey parts are the border of the road and the white bit is the filling which as you said Mobbstar, you have to make a separate texture for it. Thats what i thought it was... 

Tell me if I'm going the right way. In this texture consider I'm drawing a river turf and that the blue bit is colored just for reference (i know it has to be left blank):

b67xnb.jpg

Grey parts= river bank

White parts = water (need custom texture)

Please tell me, I'm right XD

Thanks @Taryn and @Mobbstar, the thing is that I still don't get what the grey parts are ! Cause to me it looks like the grey parts are the border of the road and the white bit is the filling which as you said Mobbstar, you have to make a separate texture for it. Thats what i thought it was... 

Tell me if I'm going the right way. In this texture consider I'm drawing a river turf and that the blue bit is colored just for reference (i know it has to be left blank):

Grey parts= river bank

White parts = water (need custom texture)

Please tell me, I'm right XD

As said, I'm don't know either. I'm really thrown off by the gradient white in the grey fields. I never noticed any gradient on in-game turfs!

If everything else fails, ask someone else for help? Plenty of mods have unique biomes with unique turf, such as Up&Away, Steam Biome, the (probably abandoned) jungle mod, maybe HitD, ...

EDIT: I have decompiled the carpet and web turfs, it is obvious now which one's which.

The border of carpet is rugged.

post-390644-0-26042400-1432473802_thumb.

Webbing is transparent and thus not entirely black.

post-390644-0-02905000-1432473809_thumb.

EDIT2: So if you wish to make a river bank, the thing you showed above works. If you want to make the river itself and use the surrounding turf as its bank, you'll need a different probably need to lower the Z (or Y) priority.

EDIT3: Yea, looks like you need to put the river turf "below" the bank/surrounding turf. Also, the cobblestone.tex is coloured for some reason.

@Mobbstar, thanks for the explanation !! I was really messed up in doing this thing !!! I couldn't figure out what was what and as yo said didn't want to put much effort before knowing that SMALL detail ! What I'm gonna do is to do the texture for the river bank as the one I've posted and then simply have another texture (like the 512x512 for turfs patterns) for the "watery" bit of the river ! 

That should work correct ?!

@Mobbstar, thanks for the explanation !! I was really messed up in doing this thing !!! I couldn't figure out what was what and as yo said didn't want to put much effort before knowing that SMALL detail ! What I'm gonna do is to do the texture for the river bank as the one I've posted and then simply have another texture (like the 512x512 for turfs patterns) for the "watery" bit of the river ! 

That should work correct ?!

You mean you want to...

1. Make a turf for the river bank
  2. Make a turf or texture for the river itself
  3. Put the river turf/texture underneath the river bank turf

? I'm not sure if "two turfs on one tile" works, I never messed with turfs (for a reason :p)

Alternatively, you could...

1. Make a water turf
  2. Put it underneath all other turfs
  3. simply use the surrounding turfs for river banks (you could generate a mud turf or alike around it to achieve a "natural" river bank)

This idea is inspired by the way cobble roads hide underneath checker, carpet, wood, grass, stone, etc.

You mean you want to...

1. Make a turf for the river bank (Yes, lets say is the brown bit I already colored)
  2. Make a turf or texture for the river itself (yeah, for the water, or simply just color the blank bit in blue)
  3. Put the river turf/texture underneath the river bank turf (yep..)

? I'm not sure if "two turfs on one tile" works, I never messed with turfs (for a reason :razz:)

Alternatively, you could...

1. Make a water turf (mmm...)
  2. Put it underneath all other turfs
  3. simply use the surrounding turfs for river banks (you could generate a mud turf or alike around it to achieve a "natural" river bank) (could i not use as the river banks the grey parts just a bit colored)

This idea is inspired by the way cobble roads hide underneath checker, carpet, wood, grass, stone, etc.

From what i understand the cobble road is simply another version of what I'm trying to do:

1.They drew the grey borders (the one I would color in brown)

2. They drew the cobble turf/road turf as a 512x512 (my 512x512 of just blue color)

3. Used the cobble turf/road turf in the blank spaces to give a sense of natural road without affecting the road borders

EDIT: Turfs are horrible to work with...  :livid:

From what i understand the cobble road is simply another version of what I'm trying to do:

1.They drew the grey borders (the one I would color in brown)

2. They drew the cobble turf/road turf as a 512x512 (my 512x512 of just blue color)

3. Used the cobble turf/road turf in the blank spaces to give a sense of natural road without affecting the road borders

EDIT: Turfs are horrible to work with...  :livid:

Is that the case?

I assumed (based on the "cobblestone.tex" alpha) that the cobble road is a turf like any other, but below all surrounding turfs (Below as in, all other turfs' edges render above it, thus you don't see the edge of the cobble road). The cobble road turf actually acts like any other turf when placed on the shore and fills the entire tile and the edge part.

But if I'm wrong in that sheer assumption, then the way the cobble road works is still the method you're looking for.

EDIT: I failed to find any useful scripts on that subject. :jaded:

Is that the case?

I assumed (based on the "cobblestone.tex" alpha) that the cobble road is a turf like any other, but below all surrounding turfs (Below as in, all other turfs' edges render above it, thus you don't see the edge of the cobble road). The cobble road turf actually acts like any other turf when placed on the shore and fills the entire tile and the edge part.

But if I'm wrong in that sheer assumption, then the way the cobble road works is still the method you're looking for.

EDIT: I failed to find any useful scripts on that subject. :jaded:

mmmm... So lets say that level A is the level of all turfs. If you want to make a cobble road you place at level A the textures for the borders (the one I've posted in the first post) and then at level B you place the texture for the cobble road itself (the 512x512 tile for turfs).

Is that it ?! Because if this is the case the easier thing to do would be to just substitute the level B cobble road texture with a watery texture.

:indecisiveness:

Archived