I want Local Co-Op

Come on the game has controller support.

I want local co-op.
I want local co-op so bad!

Split screen shared screen I don't care!
Let me plug in two controllers and play with someone under the same roof!

Local Co-Op Local Co-Op Local Co-Op!

Yeah I know about this mod, it's not very good and the player 2 controls are terrible.
http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=172291214

someone told me how to do that, he says if you open 2 windows of the game one with controller and the other one with mouse and keyboard anyone can host and the other joins, but I don't know how open 2 windows of the game

How would this work? Having two sets of crafting menus and two sets on inventory on one screen is going to get a bit hectic. Shared screen wouldn't make any sense. You would basically just have another mouth to feed, a mouth that can't go get its own food. 

Regardless, I'd rather them work on caves/launch stuff/through the ages, and then sort out local co-op. I'd say about 2% of players want local co-op, while we all want the new stuff :p

The old multiplayer mods for DS weren't bad, typically, they were, though.

As for local, it could be done on 2 separate computers. But Klei should get whatever they have out of the way first.

But I don't have two separate computers, it would cost hundreds of dollars to do that.

How would this work?

Controller Support.

*two sets of crafting menus

There's no reason that would be a problem.

*two sets on inventory on one screen

There's no reason that would be a problem. Split screen has been done before and there are split screen games with inventory menus on each screen.

*is going to get a bit hectic.

People are capable of managing what's on their own screen.

*Shared screen wouldn't make any sense.

It would make perfect sense for people who know other people in real life and want to play multiplayer under one roof.

*You would basically just have another mouth to feed

Yup you would. Just like when two people play over LAN.

someone told me how to do that, he says if you open 2 windows of the game one with controller and the other one with mouse and keyboard anyone can host and the other joins, but I don't know how open 2 windows of the game

Unfortunately artificial split screen is vastly inferior to true split screen in every way. It crashes if anyone touches the keyboard, it's difficult to set off, it cuts off important parts of the screen such as option menus, and it's far far more demanding of a person's computer than real split screen.

That's correct. There are no plans for that. Like how two years ago there wasn't any plans for multiplayer.

So you will have to wait, there are other priorities now.

I sure hope they decide to put Local Co-Op in a lot of people want it.

Online play is great for playing with complete strangers from another country but I just want to play with my friends and family members in the same room.

Doesn't DST have LAN support?

*not sure*

It does but Local Co-Op means it's all localized to the same machine, LAN involves networking multiple machines. Usually LAN is extremely expensive to set up, takes up quite a lot of space in a room, and can be a pain to set up. Plus you can't all sit back on the same couch with a controller in your hands over LAN, and there's something about sharing a screen even when it's split screen that's conducive to a party or group experience in a way that LAN isn't. LAN makes it feel like you're connecting to some other computer over the internet, everything you do is separate and cut off in a way that it isn't on Local multiplayer. That's great for some things but it's not the same experience.

I sure hope they decide to put Local Co-Op in a lot of people want it.

Online play is great for playing with complete strangers from another country but I just want to play with my friends and family members in the same room.

You have absolutely no information about the number of people who want local co-op. Don't make up metrics.

It does but Local Co-Op means it's all localized to the same machine, LAN involves networking multiple machines. Usually LAN is extremely expensive to set up, takes up quite a lot of space in a room, and can be a pain to set up. Plus you can't all sit back on the same couch with a controller in your hands over LAN, and there's something about sharing a screen even when it's split screen that's conducive to a party or group experience in a way that LAN isn't. LAN makes it feel like you're connecting to some other computer over the internet, everything you do is separate and cut off in a way that it isn't on Local multiplayer. That's great for some things but it's not the same experience.

Literally none of this is true. Lan is not "extremely expensive" to set up. You literally just need 2 computers and a router. A router is like $25-50, and anyone with wireless internet has one.

It also does not take up a lot of space, you just have multiple computers in one room. Friends and I used to set up around a table, and it was easy.

It is not a pain to set up, you all just turn your computers on and connect to the game. Way back when you had to connect via TCP/IP but now things are easy.

Depending on the room configuration, you absolutely can sit back on a couch and play on a controller, just not on the same screen.

The rest of what you said is straight bullshit. What makes it feel together is being able to hear and see the people you played with. We used to play LAN diablo 2 and it was amazing.

That said, there is a mod for singleplayer don't starve that adds exactly what you're looking for and the creater just added native controller support.

It would've been easy to find if you would've googled "don't starve local co-op" instead of your first action being bringing your whiny nonsense to the forums.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=172291214

Just commenting in defense of what the OP said.

You have absolutely no information about the number of people who want local co-op. Don't make up metrics.

There are over a hundred threads some with multiple posters asking for or about this.

an is not "extremely expensive" to set up. You literally just need 2 computers

Getting two half decent computers can run DS well can set someone back hundreds of dollars, so it's ridiculous for you to say it's not expensive to set up.

A router is like $25-50

That's more expensive than the game itself, A person could get several great Triple A games during a sales event for that price.

It also does not take up a lot of space, you just have multiple computers in one room

So basically, people should just be cramped together with no elbow room.

You realize that a lot of people, even a lot of wealthy people, live in cramped apartments with limited space to set these things up right? At my house, for someone to play LAN with me comfortably they'd have to be sitting at the kitchen table, in another room of the house, it wouldn't even feel like couch co-op.

Friends and I used to set up around a table

That must have been nice for you. I have a desktop like most hardcore PC gamers, it's a bit inconvenient to dismantle the damn thing and lug it and a power station into the kitchen.

Archived