Summer Season - Suggestions for dealing with heat

Greetings.

Summer season seems very harsh with the heat.

I got Some suggestions to make the heat more bearable without having to put a iceblock or a melon on your head. They are effective ways to not overheat but not always do we have the ressources for it.

Endothermic Fire and chill amulet now everybody will scream allthough This isn't allways available to make due lack of ressources at times.

A way to conserve rainwater should be added.

Rainbarrels (made out of wood, planks, rope)

this can be a chance to put out big bushfires easier. The Snow cannon is not always available when you need it most. Ressource or otherwise.

Drink bottle, buckets, ect. (put some rainwater in it and drink it or pour it on your head to extinguish some heat effect)

Rain. Nighttime, Evening time: This is what bothers me in summer. The heat stays nearly the same. Reduce it somewhat, so the charakter can recover a litte.

Frog Ponds: jump in it for a while. Get wet. Reduce heat for a while. Beware of frogs.

Pulley: ability to build a snatch pulley to get water for extinguishing burning stuff from sea or pond.

(cut stone, planks, rope)

Water Supply Well: combined with the pulley.

Windmills and ventilators: To keep the camp in a nice climate. You can turn them manually once and they turn for a while.

@SurvivorForNow, I get what you're saying but there's a simpler way to stay cool in the summer (in the game that is) and that is to just stay under a tree... it will cool you down... any height Pine Tree or a full tier Birch Tree will do it...

Eating ice cubes is also a good way...

I like your idea of being able to wade in the ponds (which I've always wanted too XD) to get cool though and gathering rain water and what-not... could you elaborate on them more like the recipe and other factors that one would require to acquire one?

I do think however that your suggestion about "drinking bottles" will open wounds regarding "Thirst" as a factor aside from hunger... but let's just see where this leads :)

I know about the tree and ice thing but i can't run from tree to tree 24/7 licking on ice cones when i got other things to do like gathering stuff and defending camp, hunting and so on. Ice isnt always an option. It also depends on the season you start. Also heat is draining so much life.

"Thirst" doesn't fit in the fast rhythm of the day of Don't Starve as a whole. Either make the day longer or make the need to drink water somewhat fair.

just umbrella, straw hat and if you like thermal stone. in meteor area you will find enough nitre   or if you get the deerclops together with a friend, kill you friend, crush his bones and craft eyebrella

or that ^

The game is already fair... plus it's supposed to be "an uncompromising survival game" so...

It would be better if you play the game as it is for now... learn by trial and error, die and live... that's how most of us got better... also the wiki... but that would just ruin the thrill... :D

O__O

well, i'm glad some people aren't having an issue dying by overheating in summer, but for those of us who are, these are good suggestions. i've done the straw hat and parasol thing, and it still doesn't stop over-heating. playing a low-health character=dying, either by starvation, camp going up in flames, or overheating. it feels like RoG summer was a ridiculous over-correction of the easiness before. it's sad to have to re-start a world we've been playing for HOURS because we can't survive 5 days of summer. i wish to God i'd chosen Summer:none instead of Summer: Very Short when i was setting up the world and we hadn't wasted all this time playing only to both die repeatedly now.

well, i'm glad some people aren't having an issue dying by overheating in summer, but for those of us who are, these are good suggestions. i've done the straw hat and parasol thing, and it still doesn't stop over-heating. playing a low-health character=dying, either by starvation, camp going up in flames, or overheating. it feels like RoG summer was a ridiculous over-correction of the easiness before. it's sad to have to re-start a world we've been playing for HOURS because we can't survive 5 days of summer. i wish to God i'd chosen Summer:none instead of Summer: Very Short when i was setting up the world and we hadn't wasted all this time playing only to both die repeatedly now.

Ok.

Game changed and it is more about planning now than before, you need to have things ready long before the summer: Ice flings, Ice hat or nitre for cold fires.

Its not a problem with the game, its more of a problem of a gameplay style you got used to. You need to change it to current game or die. There is no other way.

Game starts long before summer so you have quite large amount of time to get ready for it.

Its not a problem with the game, its more of a problem of a gameplay style you got used to. You need to change it to current game or die. There is no other way.

The game is already fair... plus it's supposed to be "an uncompromising survival game" so...   It would be better if you play the game as it is for now... learn by trial and error, die and live... that's how most of us got better... also the wiki... but that would just ruin the thrill...

or that ^

The game is already fair... plus it's supposed to be "an uncompromising survival game" so...

It would be better if you play the game as it is for now... learn by trial and error, die and live... that's how most of us got better... also the wiki... but that would just ruin the thrill... :grin:

O__O

"uncompromising survival game" you say? You got meat effigy as Wilson, touch stone and the telltale heart in DST. All of those things give you your life back. So...it seems like survival with compromise to me.

"uncompromising survival game" you say? You got meat effigy as Wilson, touch stone and the telltale heart in DST. All of those things give you your life back. So...it seems like survival with compromise to me.

It wasn't like that before, but then lots of people cried that its to hard, and now we have different game form what was advertised. And you are suggesting to make it even easier than it is now.

So...it seems like survival with compromise to me.

In the original Single-Player, you don't turn into ghosts... you die like in Wilderness and If you don't have a revival item, all your progress will disappear... beard hair is hard to obtain unless you're playing Wilson or are just good enough... and you actually had to activate touch stones before you die in anyway for them to revive you...

The life giving amulet can also revive you but you have to be wearing it to work...

Id' say its uncompromisingly balanced...

In the original Single-Player, you don't turn into ghosts... you die like in Wilderness and If you don't have a revival item, all your progress will disappear... beard hair is hard to obtain unless you're playing Wilson or are just good enough... and you actually had to activate touch stones before you die in anyway for them to revive you...

The life giving amulet can also revive you but you have to be wearing it to work...

Id' say its uncompromisingly balanced...

More or less.

Still would prefer next single player DLC instead of DST.

But I can keep on dreaming.

Ok.

Game changed and it is more about planning now than before, you need to have things ready long before the summer: Ice flings, Ice hat or nitre for cold fires.

Game starts long before summer so you have quite large amount of time to get ready for it.

I agree, but it's either you start in spring or autumn, shorter or longer before summer. The game changed dramatically when summer became so hard that you probably have to prepare for it more than the rest of all the seasons. (Besides preparing for your first dragonfly on your first summer omg...) So what you said are the exact truth and should be taken note seriously; gather and prepare all of the resources needed to withstand summer.

Here are the things that everyone should prioritize on gathering (based upon how to overcome the heat):

Nitre

Gold

Stones

Gears (can be dug in graves, are found in tumbleweeds sometimes, or if there's a maxwell biome, brave the clockworks, kite them as much as possible with less effort of preparing for them too much)

Ice (if you start in autumn, you're prolly lucky because you get to gather them beforehand)

Lots of grass

Lots of twigs

Lots of logs (since the day is larger, befriend as much pigs as possible to cut down some trees as many as possible in such a short time for you to save up more time to gather the other stuffs)

Gather all these as fast as possible for you to have more time to maintain your hunger, health and sanity and other means for further survival in the game.

I basically want to list out everything that can make summer easy to withstand but I'll let you guys figure everything out the rest first. I don't want to look like I'm a pro at this because I am not. I just figured this out in my own experience for a long time, died a bunch of times overheating and now I get to live in my current 370days of survival as wilson.

For FAQs, I'll gladly help. :)

Archived