Suggestion: in-game encyclopedia

An in-game encyclopedia (with nice artwork) could help the starter players with some hints/ideas. I am not thinking of crafting recipes (and thats why I am not checking the game's wiki site), just some words upon the flora and fauna and/or (random?) pages that man can collect (or 'unlock') into the "Book of Wilderness" or something like that. These collectible pages would contain an illustration of the topic (e.g. tallbird or animal traps) and maybe some hints that man might figure out (like those words that characters say while examining things). I know right now it would be a huge job to make this because there are lots to write about, but later on it would just need some new pages from every new stuff. Anyone likes the idea? Or have more thoughts?

Edited by nicholasnoll

Not a bad suggestion, collecting rare pieces of information (hints and tricks) wouldn't necessarily ruin "da fun". Don't Starve is a game solely based on discovery, knowledge, and strategy; and adding few pieces of new information isn't going to interfere with the gameplay.

Nicholasnoll's suggestion is for players who just begun the game, collecting pieces of paper or a tutorial level isn't that shabby.. But thrown into the wilderness without a clue what to do is also a great way to experience the hardships of the game!

A truly great idea!

But I would modify it slightly. I would make it so it is Wilson's Encyclopedia that he populates as he encounters the game world. Haven't encountered Tallbirds yet? Sorry no info on them. Maybe a system where you have to kill a certain creature before a piece of information gets put into the Encyclopedia? Or in case of passive mobs maybe every time you do an new interaction with them further information gets populated into the book?

The game world is so interesting and beautiful that it would be a waste if devs didn't enrich it with lore!