What really makes giants and bosses trivial.

3k damage only takes out half the health of a giant.

And it tickles the dragonfly.

More like a punch-in-the-face than a tickle. A tickle would probably be a player punching the Dragonfly. And if the player deals enough punches to the Dragonfly, it will die of laughter. :p

you tend to be stubborn.

Explain much? Because looking at the definition, I'm not really that stubborn. If I'm stubborn, then you could say that we all are. I'm clinged to things for a reason and not because it gives me fuzzy feelings inside or something. Quite the contrary; I stick to what makes sense, even if it makes me feel bad about myself doing so.

It's not because she is female. I just think it's not very logical that the life purpose of the progenies of a creature is immediately fighting and dieing after they were born.

Actually the Dragonfly is an Insect and most insects just leave their offspring to fend for themselves... true for both Dragonflies and Flies... so... yeah... O__O

Actually the Dragonfly is an Insect and most insects just leave their offspring to fend for themselves... true for both Dragonflies and Flies... so... yeah... O__O

True.

In fact, that's not the worst insects have to offer by far. You wanna see something bad? Try watching an insect getting eaten alive from the inside out.

Sure, the bugs in question have no ill intent. No creature does...Besides dolphins....And a few others... But dang, nature is scary!

I say we let Klei do it's thing and judge harshly and critically after they say "this is how things are going to be forever". Right now everything is subject to change, so why petition for change when change is already on it's way?

Those who say there is no challenge, go try to kill that fly.

Yesterday me and my friend tried to kill it. We got some football hats, battle helms, tentacle spikes, pan flute, ice staffs and 29 gunpowder. First of all we didn't know that now dragonfly have 27500 hp. At lava biome we found bearger killin' hounds and eating monster meat, so we tried to aggro him towards dragonfly, we managed that. Thought "Nice, bearger will deal the damage, after that we will put that fly to sleep and blow that ass up". But boom suddenly there is some kind of lava monster (lavaes). Didn't know about them too, so wtf. My friend and me kite them while both bosses are fighting, thanks to bearer he killed many of these lavaes while I ran around him and dragonfly. After bearger's death we put to sleep dragonfly and first tried to blow up her with 15 gunpowder, didn't work, put 7 more, didn't work too, so we put last 7 gunpowder and nothing. So my friend started to freeze, night was coming, we made a fire pit, but while we run away 5 lavaes started to follow me, tried to put them on sleep, nah, not good idea, found myself with 1 hp left. That night I was running around fire pit while these 5 laves follow me and my friend just chillin' at fire pit without armor and few hp. At morning, he run to base to get some armor'n'stuff to kill lavaes, while I just ran around desert trying not to die. But unfortunately I pressed M and after that TAB, and TAB lagged and I needed to press TAB one more time to get that window off but while I tried to do that lavaes got me. Died. Oh, okay, gonna wait for friend to revive me. But f*** those lavaes are badass, they don't go back to lava biome, they just through all the map towards my friend and kill him too. GG.

And some of you are saying that this isn't challenge, c'mon.

it would take something like 138-139 powder to kill him. I also noticed that the lava will follow forever. Just yesterday I was exploring the perimeter of the desert and a little lava showed up and followed me through like 3 biomes starting things on fire. I just killed it at that point.  

The person that says the dragonfly is to easy is just softly bragging because figuring out her hit pattern is going to take sometime and you are going to die lots. If you go ahead and make it random on top of that I guarantee 98% would not be able to kill her. Remember Megaman? It was fun and the bosses had patterns, figuring out them was half the fun.  

Hey I just thought of something. The dragonfly snorts ashes right ;-) . What if you lay down black powder and he snorts that and blows up? :-)

Those who say there is no challenge, go try to kill that fly.

Yesterday me and my friend tried to kill it. We got some football hats, battle helms, tentacle spikes, pan flute, ice staffs and 29 gunpowder. First of all we didn't know that now dragonfly have 27500 hp. At lava biome we found bearger killin' hounds and eating monster meat, so we tried to aggro him towards dragonfly, we managed that. Thought "Nice, bearger will deal the damage, after that we will put that fly to sleep and blow that ass up". But boom suddenly there is some kind of lava monster (lavaes). Didn't know about them too, so wtf. My friend and me kite them while both bosses are fighting, thanks to bearer he killed many of these lavaes while I ran around him and dragonfly. After bearger's death we put to sleep dragonfly and first tried to blow up her with 15 gunpowder, didn't work, put 7 more, didn't work too, so we put last 7 gunpowder and nothing. So my friend started to freeze, night was coming, we made a fire pit, but while we run away 5 lavaes started to follow me, tried to put them on sleep, nah, not good idea, found myself with 1 hp left. That night I was running around fire pit while these 5 laves follow me and my friend just chillin' at fire pit without armor and few hp. At morning, he run to base to get some armor'n'stuff to kill lavaes, while I just ran around desert trying not to die. But unfortunately I pressed M and after that TAB, and TAB lagged and I needed to press TAB one more time to get that window off but while I tried to do that lavaes got me. Died. Oh, okay, gonna wait for friend to revive me. But f*** those lavaes are badass, they don't go back to lava biome, they just through all the map towards my friend and kill him too. GG.

And some of you are saying that this isn't challenge, c'mon.

The problem isn't the challenge. The problem is the simple attack predictability and game logic behind the thousands of amount of health the Dragonfly has. If you were to make a comparison in terms that a human is a giant, then the spear relative in this would nit be a needle but a knife. If a human is being hit with a needle, how long would it take for one to die (I know my comparison is grose, but just bare with it)? Well that would mean that the giant should have many thousands of health. However, this is not the case. Giants in the game are not as big as they might seem, and if we were to take spear and a giant to relative size for a human and a knife, that would be a more fitting representation and compatison. Take that and think about how many times of knife-scratching it would take to kill a human? That's right, not as many! While the giants can be reasoned to them having fur which weakens the damage dealt to them logically, fur/feathers/scales would never be enough to withstand enough to make the damage dealt x10 less effective. So relatively to their size, their health would need to be much lower. Giant attacking a player with a spear, more specifically is relative to a Human attacking a kitten with a knife (don't question the logic, it's a comparison). This is why I suggested giants to be x1.25 bugger in terms ofsize as this would mean that each player could only deal like 1 - 2 hits per time and that size of a giant would make it reasonable for the giant to have more health as well. However, making this relative in terms of size/scaling, the health could only be x1.25 more than usual, but for the sake of multiplayer possibilities I think it would be reasonable if the giants' health would be better to be x2 (for dragonfly that would mean 5500 health). Again, if you think that's too easy, take in mind what I said before; if the size of the giant is increased by x1.25, then the damage and radius range of impact from the giant's center point also needs to increase, which is why players would usually deal like 1 hit each time the giant hits for the player to avoid being hit while still dealing damage to the giant.

Tell you what, I'll try and make a small mod configuring Dragonfly to such a giant and same for the other ones. Then we'll see whether the Dragonfly is nearly or just as tough overall or even tougher (same for the other giants).

snip

Resistance and indurance does not have to do with one's size, but with one's resistance. The very reason resistance is corelated to size in nature is because if something evolved in a way a lot, depending on the environment, their biological structures can become stronger, allowing them to extend parts of their body for two reasons: they now have enough sustainability to do so, and they become more advantageous if they do so in some circumstances, increasing their survival rate overall.

But here's two things about that. First of all, biological endurance doesn't always lead to a bigger physical structure. It does change the physical structure quite a lot sometimes, but one's size doesn't have to increase at the same time resistance spreads over the body. Sometimes it isn't even possible, and sometimes an object actually has to get smaller to become more "resistant".

Secondly, this is a video game. There are stereotypes in videogames in which strengthness and size propagate at the same time. But videogames entities do not circle around physical laws and evolving characteristic possibilities, they only circle around their programmation. We scale them to real life because we are used to it, as videogames itself were created using life (or rather, our planet's ecosystem) as a tool, or point of comparation. But it's not necessary.

Especially in an Early-Access game, where everything is subject of change.

Resistance and indurance does not have to do with one's size, but with one's resistance. The very reason resistance is corelated to size in nature is because if something evolved in a way a lot, depending on the environment, their biological structures can become stronger, allowing them to extend parts of their body for two reasons: they now have enough sustainability to do so, and they become more advantageous if they do so in some circumstances, increasing their survival rate overall.

But here's two things about that. First of all, biological endurance doesn't always lead to a bigger physical structure. It does change the physical structure quite a lot sometimes, but one's size doesn't have to increase at the same time resistance spreads over the body. Sometimes it isn't even possible, and sometimes an object actually has to get smaller to become more "resistant".

Secondly, this is a video game. There are stereotypes in videogames in which strengthness and size propagate at the same time. But videogames entities do not circle around physical laws and evolving characteristic possibilities, they only circle around their programmation. We scale them to real life because we are used to it, as videogames itself were created using life (or rather, our planet's ecosystem) as a tool, or point of comparation. But it's not necessary.

Especially in an Early-Access game, where everything is subject of change.

Look, if all devs are gonna do to make giants harder to fight for multiplayer is buff their health by x10, then they might as well make the giants' health x100 and be done with it. If a giant has the same structure as before but more health, that means that the giant will take longer to be killed instead for the player to think more strategically and take chances to beat the boss. Using the same tactics as before, the giant will be possible to kill just as easily, with the exception that the players will take x10 longer to kill it, which is a bore. This might not always be the case, but it would certainly be more interesting if the damage, size, range of impact were bigger and randomness of "special attacks" was implemented.

Also, am working on that small mod already. So far, I think I've changed the loot, size, shadow size and range of damange for the dragonfly. Can't really find the health and damage in dragonfly.lua ...

Look, if all devs are gonna do to make giants harder to fight for multiplayer is buff their health by x10, then they might as well make the giants' health x100 and be done with it. If a giant has the same structure as before but more health, that means that the giant will take longer to be killed instead for the player to think more strategically and take chances to beat the boss. Using the same tactics as before, the giant will be possible to kill just as easily, with the exception that the players will take x10 longer to kill it, which is a bore. This might not always be the case, but it would certainly be more interesting if the damage, size, range of impact were bigger and randomness of "special attacks" was implemented.

Also, am working on that small mod already. So far, I think I've changed the loot, size, shadow size and range of damange for the dragonfly. Can't really find the health and damage in dragonfly.lua ...

tuning.lua may help you on your searches.

Archived