Dragonfly's Max Health

So, the fourm has been lit on the topic of the state of our friend, the Dragonfly.  Meanwhile, I thought it would be fun to make a modded version of her playable, to celebrate DST ROG.  When I got him to work, I hovered over his health to see what it was, knowing it has been changed.

Her max health is a whooping 27500 HP.

Just absorb how much HP that is.  He has more health than 5 Deerclops.  Even though she's a limited area boss, that is quite the amount.

That is alot of health, but I can think of ways to cripple the poor thing to make an easier fight. We all know the gunpowder trick, and Webber can throw armies at it.

Instead, lets talk about the awfulness of Terror Beaks. Those jerks can not be tricked into taking damage from other sources AND the stupid Terror Beaks are taking swings at me every time I attack it. Two Terrorbeaks are impossible to fight without taking damage and the sanity drain prevents anything but a ton of flowers from doing alot of good. Team work will not help either, as everyone's sanity will drop but only the killer of a shadow creature gets the sanity boosts.

I'd rather bash my face into the claws of one fat dragonfly with the help of teammates for 30 minutes, then deal with the many issues that just one Terror Beak can raise.

That is alot of health, but I can think of ways to cripple the poor thing to make an easier fight. We all know the gunpowder trick, and Webber can throw armies at it.

Instead, lets talk about the awfulness of Terror Beaks. Those jerks can not be tricked into taking damage from other sources AND the stupid Terror Beaks are taking swings at me every time I attack it. Two Terrorbeaks are impossible to fight without taking damage and the sanity drain prevents anything but a ton of flowers from doing alot of good. Team work will not help either, as everyone's sanity will drop but only the killer of a shadow creature gets the sanity boosts.

I'd rather bash my face into the claws of one fat dragonfly with the help of teammates for 30 minutes, then deal with the many issues that just one Terror Beak can raise.

You make a good point.  I also just found out that Dragonfly does around 150 damage when on fire to players, and about 600 to mobs.  Ouch.

So, the fourm has been lit on the topic of the state of our friend, the Dragonfly.  Meanwhile, I thought it would be fun to make a modded version of her playable, to celebrate DST ROG.  When I got him to work, I hovered over his health to see what it was, knowing it has been changed.

Her max health is a whooping 27500 HP.

Just absorb how much HP that is.  He has more health than 5 Deerclops.  Even though she's a limited area boss, that is quite the amount.

Well, she's designed to be a challenge for 4 players, so she needs to have a lot of health.

To put this into perspective, if you take your group of 4 to fight her, and at least 3 people keep damage up on her w/ decent weapons ( ~50 damage per second), that would be about 150 dps (damage per second).

At 150 dps, it would take about 3 minutes to kill her.  That is w/ the 4th person doing nothing but killing Lavae.  So it would be even faster if the 4th person whacked her at all.

3 minutes for the most challenging boss in the game actually seems kinda too easy, if you really think about it.

In the world I am on, she is our next door neighbor. She constantly will do annoying things like aggro and chase us down for one easy swipe if we aren't careful. She even swooped in to kill our kolaphant in front of us. While she is extremely aggressive every now and then, she is pretty weak to Tree guards.

The Dragonfly will not switch aggro, so it will keep swiping at the Tree guard despite me slashing at her non stop. However, she stopped fighting us to spawn larvae which became too much for me to handle. I am thinking that had my teammate joined in with some water balloons and some Ice flingers, while an angry tree guard chased the dragonfly down, we would of easily of killed her. A spider army would of done wonders too, especially if we set up ice flingers.

Just gotta find out if she'll aggro on the ice flingers or not, and then we can farm for goodies! The "16 second respawn" is scary though.

Also, Smoldering Tree guard > Deerclops.

not on a game where you cannot chug potions and heal to full in a few seconds

Well, she's designed to be a challenge for 4 players, so she needs to have a lot of health.

To put this into perspective, if you take your group of 4 to fight her, and at least 3 people keep damage up on her w/ decent weapons ( ~50 damage per second), that would be about 150 dps (damage per second).

At 150 dps, it would take about 3 minutes to kill her.  That is w/ the 4th person doing nothing but killing Lavae.  So it would be even faster if the 4th person whacked her at all.

3 minutes for the most challenging boss in the game actually seems kinda too easy, if you really think about it.

not on a game where you cannot chug potions and heal to full in a few seconds

1. Potion chugging is pretty lame and should be discouraged for slowing down gameplay.

2. There is recipes that can heal absurd amounts of health quickly anyway. However, the Dragonfly boss is not going to allow anyone to simply heal themselves, because she focuses on her first target despite other damage sources.

Only smart way to heal is to wait until the start of phase 2 or freeze her in place for a bit.

Is there any clarification by the Devs if that's intended or some coding typo(by a certain MarkL...)?

Well, me and a spider queen easily forced the Dragonfly into phase 2 within a minute. I'd like to take a wild guess and say the devs play tested the Dragonfly battle to make sure the health was suitable. Had I had an ice staff on me, I would of been able to destroy those stupid larvae with ease. Those larvae are the only things about the fight that I feel have too much health at this point.

Archived