Ghosts and graves

You know when you kill a ghost which spawns from a grave which you dug up? Or during the full moon there's a ton of them and if you decide to fight them for fun there's nothing in reward? Or that when you dig up a grave you can not dig anymore once they've all been dug up (which makes me wonder if assumably the people who were in the world before you never dug up any graves at all in their lives) unless you're lucky to get a Webber's skull, bury it and dig the grave up again for something interresting?

Okay, I know you can get trinkets, gems, gears, nightmare fuel, amulets and gears in different ways, but what is the point of graves in the first place then? I know they were in before caves, clockworks and tumbleweeds, but bynow they've become quite useless and it's not more that a ghost is a threat that's the problem, but simply that it's disappointing if you get a ghost from a grave. I'd suggest that all the dug-up graves during the full moon should close up and that ghosts would drop Ectoplasm, which could be an item used to craft all sorts of magic stuff. Sort of like the nightmare fuel, but not exactly. Another thing I'd suggest is if players could craft and destroy graves and could bury skelletons inside the graves. For balance reasons and such, I'd say that if you craft a grave, don't bury a skelleton in it and on full moon the grave got filled, then upon digging up that grave, you would get nothing at all. And may be the graves at the beginning of the world generation could have skelletons in them as well as trinkets or whatever, sort of as if someone got burried with something valuable to them or something. And say you destroyed a grave with a shovel or destroyed a headstone with a pickaxe, you would lose a lot of sanity, where as if you buried a skelleton in a grave you would get sanity back. So far for ectoplasm I can only think of one use; it could be used to fasten the time it takes for Abigail's flower to be ready to summon Abigail by Wendy.

Not only does this system make more sense in terms of "other people being in the world before you came" but also that it makes graves and ghosts a much more interresting feature in the game and not a "one gameplay day" feature which can simply be avoided and seems quite spammy and a "could get in the way" feature.

EDIT: Just thought of this; how about if you burried a skelleton with a telltale heart or a with a red gem, then if someone dies and then haunts that grave, the grave could work as a resurrection feature! It would have a cool dead-rising animation! And for balance reasons this is how this could work:

Burrying a telltale heart with a skelleton:

Pros: if there is none left alive, no other resurrection items left in the game whivh could be done without another player helping out (no life giving amulets, touchstones and meat effigies) the telltale heart through graves with a skelleton could be used as a self- resurrecting item. Instead of telltale heart a red gem could be burried as well, which could save the gold and nightmare fuel used to craft a life giving amulet, however a life giving amulet could still be burried giving the same effect, but would be less efficient.

Cons: requires a grave and a skelleton as well as the fact that it is stationary.

And for balance reasons may be graves could only be crafted in a graveyard biome/graveyard biome rooms (however not sure if this is possible to program in any way).

I like the idea of giving graves more uses than just one-time. Going with your ghost/ectoplasm idea, what if we combine it with something (perhaps the TTH, or something magical like the LG Amulet you mentioned), bury that, and after X days the graves are replenished and we can dig them up again?

I like the idea of giving graves more uses than just one-time. Going with your ghost/ectoplasm idea, what if we combine it with something (perhaps the TTH, or something magical like the LG Amulet you mentioned), bury that, and after X days the graves are replenished and we can dig them up again?

TTH? Replenished?

I've thought of this too. Once you've dug them up, there's not much you can really do with them, as you can't even mine the headstones. It should be a fairly long wait for the grave to be replenished, as farming it would be a bit devastating to balance, I would think.

Though perhaps there should be a slight downside as well. Like maybe a small % chance of digging up rot or just bone shards instead of a treasure.

I also like to see that the graves can be reused. There is/was a mod for this and it had a good idea:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=328359722&searchtext=grave

I mean, the digger get more suffering then just sanity-penalty.Ghosts will hunt him in the night ( and/or things can get haunted around him - then the haunting effects can be also experienced in the wilderness mode).

And when killing a ghost ( or even zombie :-P ) the grave will be replenished

I'm thinking it could be that a grave could contain up to 3 separate prefabs:

1) Skeleton (100% chance to be in a grave. I think may be if you wanted to bury Webber's skull for whatever reason, you would need to bury a skeleton along in the grave. No matter what you bury in the grave, a skeleton should always be put in grave first, then the item and then you could bury it all).

2) Special item (Now, to not make graves a thing that would be farmed all the time, the graves that have been dug up, would close every full moon and if the grave that had been dug up had been empty, the grave, when the full moon comes would be filled with another skeleton and another item. The special items which the program could choose would be the trinkets, blue and red gems, gears, nightmare fuel and life giving amulets. Instead of the program deciding what comes from the grave at the time the grave is dug up, the program would know what special item in a grave is already and if it contains a life giving amulet or a red gem and a dead player haunts it without knowing the contents of the grave, if the grave has life giving amulet inside it or a red gem, the program would know and upon haunting, the player would come back to life. If a grave is dug up or a new grave is crafted, the player can then bury a skeleton there and then any item, be it a telltale heart or even honey ham for whatever reason, but the foods put in graves would still rot, so that graves wouldn't be used as emergency food storage instead of the ice box).

3) Ghost (Ghost should be separate from the skeleton and the special item. Mainly because if you bury someone with something of their value, you don't get like a lying robot turn into the ghost of that dead person. Anyway, if you bury something along with a Skeleton and then dug up the grave, the Ghost wouldn't have a 10% chance of spawning as well from the start, but it should take like 5 days till a ghost would have a 10% chance to spawn in that grave after the grave had been buried by the full moon or by a player. This would be to prevent constant Ectoplasm farming from the ghosts. I would say that graves could be buried without a special item, but a skeleton would definitely be required. Upon digging up a grave without any special items being put there before, you'd just get the skeleton back and say if you buried just the skeleton in a grave, you'd get less sanity boost than you would if you buried the skeleton with an item).

So what do you think?

Archived