Map: be able to share it.

Hello everyone. 

I would like to suggest a new item for DST (only): a "map table". 

Visual:

The table would look like a Drafting Table (see the example below from Skyrim) but would be in marble.

post-279826-0-43708600-1427986777_thumb. 

Use:

The table could allow players to share their maps between them. When a player craft the table, his map is saved on it. Then, to use the table, a player could craft a blank map and use it on the table (the same way you use a razor on a beefalo). This will do 3 things:

-the blank map will be consumed

-the map saved on the table will be completed with the places discovered by the player which aren't already on the table

-the map of the player will be completed with the places saved on the table which aren't already discovered by the player.

It means that the more the players use the table, the more the table will know the map. In this way, the table would allow the players to cooperate in the world exploration.

(I just hope that such an item wouldn't need too much programming.)

Crafting:

Considering the fact that the table would be a "strong" item, it should need some good resources (I will only give my values, maybe it should be different). 

Table:

-5 papyrus

-10 marbles

-1 compass

Blank map:

-3 papyrus

-2 charcoals (as a pen)

What do you guys think ?

Thank you for reading  :encouragement:

Why? You already have a in-game map. Most logical thing would be for the fog to be cleared across all maps by all players in coop.

There is no reason for the fog to be cleared: how could you know that a rock as been destroyed at the other side of the map ?

It could only be a refresh of the fog but not a suppression. 

Isn't there already a mod that allows you to where other people have gone, just without all the resources showing?

I don't know, I am never using mods and I am not going to.

There is no reason for the fog to be cleared: how could you know that a rock as been destroyed at the other side of the map ?

It could only be a refresh of the fog but not a suppression. 

If you're suggesting map refreshes, then no. Players should not have omniscience.

Players should be able to get together and update their maps based on what each has discovered, perhaps as a crafted item using papyrus like the OP has suggested.

If 2 explorers were to go exploring and then make their way back to camp, you can be absolutely sure that they would update their maps based on what was discovered.

There's really no reason not to do the same here, other than to just be deliberately obtuse.

I don't know, I am never using mods and I am not going to.
I'd urge you to reconsider that. The devs have gone to painstaking effort to make the game easily moddable, and for DST even have a dev whose job is fully dedicated to mod support. If nothing else, there are quite a few mods that make simple quality-of-life tweaks to the game, like Minimap HUD and Always On Status. The mod with map sharing is Global Positions, but as pointed out, it's still rather limited, because the tools the devs have made available for the map are worse than the tools for modding any other part of the game.

But map tables have been suggested at least 2-3 times before, and as I've said on every one of them, I'd love to see it. It's a great, balanced way of solving a problem that has been plaguing the game: that people who want to play fully cooperative games have to send each other screenshots of their maps.

I'd urge you to reconsider that. The devs have gone to painstaking effort to make the game easily moddable, and for DST even have a dev whose job is fully dedicated to mod support. If nothing else, there are quite a few mods that make simple quality-of-life tweaks to the game, like Minimap HUD and Always On Status. The mod with map sharing is Global Positions, but as pointed out, it's still rather limited, because the tools the devs have made available for the map are worse than the tools for modding any other part of the game.

But map tables have been suggested at least 2-3 times before, and as I've said on every one of them, I'd love to see it. It's a great, balanced way of solving a problem that has been plaguing the game: that people who want to play fully cooperative games have to send each other screenshots of their maps.

Sorry for posting the idea again ! I did a bad research before posting  :spidercowers:

In all honesty, I don't use mods because I feel like almost all of them are making the game easier. I'm really comfortable in an authentic experience.

However, after what you said, I may at least give it a try !

Sorry for posting the idea again ! I did a bad research before posting  :spidercowers:

In all honesty, I don't use mods because I feel like almost all of them are making the game easier. I'm really comfortable in an authentic experience.

However, after what you said, I may at least give it a try !

There are mods that exist to enhance the experience. For example, a mod that adds dusk and night-time work music. There's a damage indicator mod for people who like their numbers. So on so forth.

Archived