Don't Starve Seed Injector

EDIT: Tried posting this as a comment but as it appeared at the bottom, here is a more noticeable little FAQ

My apologies for not responding to all of your posts, I thought this thread was dead in the water!

Compliants of a possibly malicious file may appear, but that is simply because of the lone exe within a zip, since chrome cant safely assure its legitimacy, it warns users before downloading.

Regardless, I apologize if it scared some of you, but I don't wish any harm upon your computers!

Hope this cleared up some issues you were having!

Hey guys! I'm fairly new here and I came by to discuss my new tool, that may have some use to someone:

The Don't Starve Seed Injector

pB1myLI.png

With this, it automatically edits a .lua file in the source that generates the world by allowing you to force a seed.

With this, I could see things such as possible Don't Starve speedrun categories, or maybe seeded challenge runs!

But I'd also like to hear your opinions! hat do you guys think this may be useful for?

---------

I've attached the zip with the folder below for download although..

WARNING: This only works if you have a 64 bit system, and your don't Starve directory is as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve

If this picks up steam, I will gladly modify it for others :-)

With that, I'm all out of things to say. Enjoy!

P.S. Thanks JoeW for the mention!   :-)

Don't Starve Seed Injector.zip

Gonna try it out in a second, but if it works as advertised, this should be amazing! I think this would be especially useful with mods, since you could use a seed that puts you near a custom set-piece or structure ;3 

Virustotal says it's cool, so I will leave the thread up.  But please use this at your own risk.

But, cool idea @lukeanator99 thanks for putting this together!

@Crockpot Careful with that. I'd scan the file first before running it. Also consider using a sandbox (there's a free version on there somewhere, too).

Yeah... it simply made me a bit nervous since it was from a new member. However, I've none many things (namely the fanabulous game) that get marked as malicious by chrome, so I'm willing to give it a shot. However, since my computer is relatively defenseless when it comes to viruses, I'm a bit hesitant to run it.

If anybody here has tried it, it would be much appreciated if they could report back about it's safety!

My apologies for not responding to all of your posts, I thought this thread was dead in the water!

It marks it as a possibly malicious file because of the lone exe within a zip, since chrome cant safely assure its legitimacy, it warns users before downloading.

Regardless, I apologize if it scared some of you, but I don't wish any harm upon your computers!

P.S. Thanks JoeW for the mention! :)

Hope this cleared up some issues you were having!

That would make sense now that I think about it, since malicious files are typically packaged with exe's. Trying out the program now, thanks so much for your reply! For a new user, you picked a great way to introduce yourself to the forums! (making an awesome tool)

And woo! Just fully tried it out in-game, and it's amazing! It works with and without mods, you don't have to set it up at all (you just run it with your game open and your done), and it's very easy to understand! I'm using it at the moment to play a seeded game alongside a friend, so that we can compare locations on our maps and make sure neither of us have any major advantages! Thanks so much for the great tool!

-Also an idea for a future project: A tool that would allow you do save a copy of whatever world you want (maybe just the one you are currently in) would be pretty nifty! I think this would be useful if you wanted to mess around in your game and restore a version later, create a custom map, or share your current world with your friend! :3

How odd that you mention sharing a world with a friend, because while I haven't tested it, I made a separate app that modifies the same file, but in the Don't Starve Together Steam directory!

So if you'd like that I can definitely post that in addition to the original download :)

WARNING: This only works if you have a 64 bit system, and your don't Starve directory is as follows:

First of all, thanks for doing this.

Second... why limiting the install directory so much? It shouldn't be hard to include a textbox to type another install path...

This puzzled me a bit (I wasn't sure from the description what exactly the tool did before I tested it), so here's more of an explanation (to the best of my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong) for future readers and a way of getting around the install directory requirement.

Normally, when you create a new game, the world it generates is random. This tool forces the game to create a world based on a known "seed" (a 9 digit number). Once you inject a seed (through the tool's "Seed" button), any new world created that uses the same seed will be exactly the same.

So if you inject a seed and create a world, but then you decide to delete it (maybe deciding that you want to play exactly the same world, but with a different character or with a different seasonal start), when you create a new world with the different character or seasonal option, you'll get the same world as you did the first time. Or you might not delete it, but play the same world in a different save slot with a different character.

Or you might give the seed number to a friend so that you both play the same map (separately).

You can have the tool generate a random seed for you by pressing the "Random" button or you can enter a seed yourself by typing one into the "Seed:" text box (I don't know if it has to be a 9 digit number or if letters and shorter/longer strings will work). After entering/generating a seed, you'll need to press the "Seed" button to apply it.

To undo the fixed world generation based on a seed (returning to randomly generated worlds for new games), press the "Restore" button.

The tool is only useful for newly created worlds (it doesn't reveal the seed for an existing world, allowing you to "start fresh" on the same map of an existing game), so it is not a way of returning to an existing world (with previously built stuff on it) after you die.

If you inject a seed before you create a world and take note of the seed number, you could "retry" the same world in the future after you die by creating a new game with the same seed (of course, all your progress will be lost and you'll be starting fresh).

To get around the requirement for a fixed install location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve), you can create a symbolic link using an open source tool called Symlinker:

https://github.com/amd989/Symlinker

A symbolic link is like a shortcut that fools the operating system and other programs (like the Seed Injector).

For example, let's say you have Steam (and Don't Starve) installed on a different drive at:

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve

Instead of at:

You would need to use the tool to create a symbolic link where this program expects Don't Starve to be (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve) that points to the actual install location (D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve)

To do this, you would need to:

1. Navigate to Program Files (x86) on C: drive and create a folder called Steam
  2. Open the newly created Steam folder and create a folder called SteamApps
  3. Open the newly created SteamApps folder and create a folder called common

At this point, you now have a set of folders with the following path:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\

To create a symbolic link, you would need to:

1. Run Symlinker
  2. Where it says, Please select the place where you want your link: enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common
  3. Where it says, Now give a name to the link: enter dont_starve
  4. Where it says, Please select the path to the real folder you want to link: enter D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve [Remember, your actual folder may be different from this - enter whatever your the path is for your Don't Starve install location]
  5. Where it says, Select the type of link: change it to Directory Junction
  6. Press the Create Link button

Now, when the Seed Injector looks for the Don't Starve install folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve the symbolic link you just created will redirect it to the actual install location D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve (or wherever you installed it) and the program will run correctly.

As a side note, creating symbolic links is a great way of freeing disk space (move a large folder to a disk with more space and create a link from the old location to the new one (be careful about doing this with Windows system folders though - it works for some, but not for others).

Archived