ARM version of Dedicated server for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

Will it be possible to install a small dedicated server on ARM devices (like RPI) in future? I wanted to try it but unfortunately there are no ARM version of SteamCMD.  

Maybe it's an useless question because RPI is probably not powerfull enough to run this kind of software (with a Minecraft server, the game is nearly unplayable for example) but i still wanted to know if the game is playable when the server is hosted on a small (and not really powerfull) computer like RPI.

RPI server could be awesome with low energy consumption and low cost.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• Developer

Maybe it's an useless question because RPI is probably not powerfull enough to run this kind of software (with a Minecraft server, the game is nearly unplayable for example) but i still wanted to know if the game is playable when the server is hosted on a small (and not really powerfull) computer like RPI.

Hello,

First of all, there are no "useless question". But yes, you're right, the RPI will not handle more than 1 or 2 players I think, so it's not very useful :/

I think that really depends on how the game manages its resources, you have a (huge) map containing information about drops, entity states, player position, an a**load of timers & RNGs, Event Generators and so on.

I am not a dev, so I can't quite tell you how much of the game is outsourced in each client and how much the server is actually processing, but just by my feeling, I think theres maybe a slight chance you can host a map with 2-3 players max, but in a small world. A raspberry pie isn't meant for hosting games, and the hardware mirrors my quote. If you are so desperate for actually getting a "Raspberry Pi Server" you WILL probably need a B+ RSP to barerely even get **** going. Besides that I would really only recommend you use that server just for developing purposes for example testing scripts and your own / public mods on that.

My opinion is not final. Theres a good chance I am really wrong in some points. If thats the case, please provide information, thank you.

Kind Regards 

I think that really depends on how the game manages its resources, you have a (huge) map containing information about drops, entity states, player position, an a**load of timers & RNGs, Event Generators and so on.

I am not a dev, so I can't quite tell you how much of the game is outsourced in each client and how much the server is actually processing, but just by my feeling, I think theres maybe a slight chance you can host a map with 2-3 players max, but in a small world. A raspberry pie isn't meant for hosting games, and the hardware mirrors my quote. If you are so desperate for actually getting a "Raspberry Pi Server" you WILL probably need a B+ RSP to barerely even get **** going. Besides that I would really only recommend you use that server just for developing purposes for example testing scripts and your own / public mods on that.

My opinion is not final. Theres a good chance I am really wrong in some points. If thats the case, please provide information, thank you.

Kind Regards 

My main question is how one would get a server running on a pie.

• Developer

The downside to the game being so heavily mod-able because it's all in lua is that it's also slower because it's all in lua. :) Life is full of tradeoffs, but at least we have minimap to make up for it!

Archived