[Character] Wakkari the Red Fox and Wayrra the Arctic Fox (WIP)

Foxrai

Here are some "Work in progress" characters im working at. Here you'll be able to find some most annoying mistakes I've made working on them... and of course - how was it fixed. 

Characters are based on Extend Sample Character by Dleowolf and Item creating by Malacath.

Wakkari the Red Fox

DS/ROG version: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/1072-wakkari-the-red-fox/

DST version: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/1085-wakkari-the-red-fox-dst/

Wayrra the Arctic Fox (little more to go than Wakkari)

Basic idea is them to be the members of Fox Tribe, living far away from people and.... of course one feral day, beeing dragged into the Maxwell's world...

Whenever I'm free I will update this thread :-) and of course any suggestions are welcome ^^

wakka_way_by_foxraifox-d8hb7lq.png

what if wakkari is wakkari would be that normal color in the summer in spring he would be red and in winter he would be artic like white?

I must say you made me to think of it, tho my previous idea was to make 2 fox characters - red and arctic one. But... who knows :o not bad idea for some update! Hmmm... Considering that ^^

wakkari_and_wayrra_by_foxraifox-d8fi010. 

So for the start... Creating plain character or item is really not a big deal, if ur talented with programming.. OR if you have nice basic template to work at. I'm not the 1st one for sure... So for creating characters I here I use

Character: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46849-tutorial-using-extended-sample-character-template/

by Dleowolf and awesome video tutorial by Sabeku

Item: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29427-tutorial-creating-a-handslot-equippable-item-from-scratch/

by Malacath

You won't have any problem with creating you character if you read carefully what the authors wrote in their tutorials. Just need to remember one thing: sometimes even small stuff is valuable - mean's carefully reading every single step is A MUST until you want to deal with trouble at basics...

Trying to understand HOW it works at all helps as well - not only copying the stuff you see... You'll see what I mean when you start doing skills and stats for your characters.

All images done and working, now time for skills and stats...

If anyone good at coding reads this feel free to comment what's eventually wrong here :-)

Things to do for Wakkari: - none :-) ALL WORKS NOW

1. Will only eat meat  

inst.components.eater:SetCarnivore(true)

>> this makes character eat only meat type food! (no ice, fruits, veggies, petals etc)

2. Can eat monster meat without any trouble

inst.components.eater.monsterimmune = true

IT's A Reign of Giants code - DOESN't work with regular Don't Starve!!!

inst.components.eater.Eat_orig = inst.components.eater.Eat
function inst.components.eater:Eat( food )
if self:CanEat(food) then
if food.components.edible.sanityvalue < 0 then
food.components.edible.sanityvalue = 0
end
if food.components.edible.healthvalue < 0 then
food.components.edible.healthvalue = 0
end
end
return inst.components.eater:Eat_orig(food)
end

This is point 4. code with added health values to it! WORKS FINE with both ROG and non-ROG Don't Starve. Basically the code means: If food will hurt me (give me -health amount), the food will give me 0 health then. 

3. Beefalos will always attack him, even if not in heat

> Solved thanks to Dleowolf! And works :-) thank You ^^ 

4. Raw meat, monster meat, food in general (BUT he only eats meat so..) won't decrease his Sanity

inst.components.eater.Eat_orig = inst.components.eater.Eat
function inst.components.eater:Eat( food )
    if self:CanEat(food) and food.components.edible.sanityvalue < 0 then
        food.components.edible.sanityvalue = 0
    end
    return inst.components.eater:Eat_orig(food)
end

> Solved thanks to Dleowolf! Tested out and works fine!

5. Walks and Runs faster than usual DS characters

inst.components.locomotor.walkspeed = (enter walk value)

inst.components.locomotor.runspeed = (enter run value)

6. Can craft Hound Mound

recipe itself works, but no pictures does and it seems to crash the game

solved:

added Assets in modmain lua:

Asset("ATLAS", "images/inventoryimages/houndmound.xml"),
Asset("IMAGE", "images/inventoryimages/houndmound.tex"),

deleted the old xml and tex from imageinventory and let the autocompiler do the work

7. Can eat spoiled food without any trouble

inst.components.eater.ignoresspoilage = true

8. Has his own weapon - Bell Staff - permanent, but he can't craft it, if he loose it.

Works just fine - created with Malacath Tutorial 

Things to do for Wayrra:

1. Will only eat meat

2. Can eat monster meat without any trouble

3. Beefalos will always attack her, even if not in heat

4. Raw meat eating won't decrease her Sanity              

5. Won't freeze so fast during winter

6. Can't eat spoiled food like Wakkari can

7. Has her own weapon - Orb Staff - can't craft it if she looses it as well

weapon based on ice staff prefabs with light add.

8. Can create orbs - sanity/insanity aura

​inst:AddComponent("sanityaura")

inst.components.sanityaura.aura = -TUNING.SANITYAURA_MEDIUM

inst:AddComponent("sanityaura")

inst.components.sanityaura.aura = TUNING.SANITYAURA_MEDIUM

>>> Orb staff: light + weaker ice staff

NEW THINGS TO BE DONE:

1. Make Wakkari and Wayrra DST Compatible...

2. Add "pet" system to both in Don't Starve and ROG (NOT IN DST!)

3. Bell Staff new power - hounds befriending

4. Orb Staff - light still not working - fix!

5. Wayrra's orb "placers" - fix!

6. Bell Staff and Orb Staff map icons.

as you see there is bunch of stuff to do still... but step by step it will be done  :-)

did you have any issues lining up body parts? and if so, got any tips?

For the body parts - I didn't have any trouble using the Templates linked above BUT only tip I could think of is:

1. Draw your character picture - like the second one in this thread.

2. Basing on your own picture draw over the rest of the parts in the TEMPLATE. For example:

open up esctemplate HAND - make a layer over it - draw your character HAND on the new layer - so it's very close size to template one. And exaclty same position on the canvas.  

By doing this with every single part - drawing your parts over the template, saving the original position on the canvas, and more less the size. You are 50% done.

Other 50% is TO NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING in yourcharacter.scml file. Literraly use Spriter only to preview your character - don't touch anything there! 

Point 1 - drawing your full character is not really a need but least for me - it helps a bit :)

I hope it helped you a bit.. Still if any part of your char seems messed up - example: hand-01. Pick fresh hand-01 from esctemplate and draw your over it again. 

Ow - and remember you CAN'T change size of your character parts using SPRITER. It just won't work. So if anything is too small - change it in the .png file (also REMEMBER to keep the position and size of all picture! If it was 60x60pix keep it 60x60pixels. 

For the body parts - I didn't have any trouble using the Templates linked above BUT only tip I could think of is:

1. Draw your character picture - like the second one in this thread.

2. Basing on your own picture draw over the rest of the parts in the TEMPLATE. For example:

open up esctemplate HAND - make a layer over it - draw your character HAND on the new layer - so it's very close size to template one. And exaclty same position on the canvas.  

By doing this with every single part - drawing your parts over the template, saving the original position on the canvas, and more less the size. You are 50% done.

Other 50% is TO NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING in yourcharacter.scml file. Literraly use Spriter only to preview your character - don't touch anything there! 

Point 1 - drawing your full character is not really a need but least for me - it helps a bit :-)

I hope it helped you a bit.. Still if any part of your char seems messed up - example: hand-01. Pick fresh hand-01 from esctemplate and draw your over it again. 

Ow - and remember you CAN'T change size of your character parts using SPRITER. It just won't work. So if anything is too small - change it in the .png file (also REMEMBER to keep the position and size of all picture! If it was 60x60pix keep it 60x60pixels. 

Thank you so much, I wish there was a way we could modify the body shapes, But I think that is where I went wrong. everything needs to more or less be the same size of the template. I had hoped I could utilize spriter in some way to modify certain aspects, but being I don't understand pivot points very well, I don't think I need to mess with them. well.........Back to the drawing board for me! I think all I have to do is mess with the torso and head position for my mod. Thank you for responding to me! 

The characters still need a bit of work, you should probably make the characters face and hair less rounded because look at willow for instance and look at her hair and chin.

Nothing in don't starve is perfectly rounded, but the characters are still really well drawn.

Also, if you want suggestions feel free to ask me, i have a very creative mind and i might help you with the special features the character could have.

The characters still need a bit of work, you should probably make the characters face and hair less rounded because look at willow for instance and look at her hair and chin.

Nothing in don't starve is perfectly rounded, but the characters are still really well drawn.

Also, if you want suggestions feel free to ask me, i have a very creative mind and i might help you with the special features the character could have.

Yea I know but also - there are no animal characters :) If you look at real-life human face and dog/fox/cat... They do have different proportions :) Truly that's the thing I don't really wanna change.. They should be tho but I think I will let them be my style. 

Also to the ideas - always welcome. I just want them to be not TOO COMPLICATED. Since DS characters aren't... Well and my coding skills sucks :/ So I doubt to be able to do anything super-duper-difficult... Yet having trouble with "Light" (like willow lighter...)

Thank you so much, I wish there was a way we could modify the body shapes, But I think that is where I went wrong. everything needs to more or less be the same size of the template. I had hoped I could utilize spriter in some way to modify certain aspects, but being I don't understand pivot points very well, I don't think I need to mess with them. well.........Back to the drawing board for me! I think all I have to do is mess with the torso and head position for my mod. Thank you for responding to me! 

The template has good size of body, hands, tail lenght, feet. The head can be made bigger (higher). I'm not changing this on my characters but ye - the template's head is just too small / not high enough. 

Yea I know but also - there are no animal characters :-) If you look at real-life human face and dog/fox/cat... They do have different proportions :-) Truly that's the thing I don't really wanna change.. They should be tho but I think I will let them be my style. 

Also to the ideas - always welcome. I just want them to be not TOO COMPLICATED. Since DS characters aren't... Well and my coding skills sucks :/ So I doubt to be able to do anything super-duper-difficult... Yet having trouble with "Light" (like willow lighter...)

If you want, you can add me on skype, its jecoconono1, reason is to keep some of these features a suprise :)

Hehe tiny miny issue - no skype on this comp and not gonna be :-) Steam instead? ^^

Sure, its jecoconono, its the one with the token with J in it and not the one with the burning spy. (the burining spy got hacked and i lost all my stuff in tf2 and thus i never touched it again ;-;)

Would love to get together with some people and do some collaborations, I could use a group. I fiXed my issue with the head, then decided.....why be normal. and now trying to figure a way to make the toon with the neck. I'm making Flapjack from CN. I got some good plans for him. 

O.K. Send me a pm of yalls steam names, I made a group. Its Called Thunderbangs! 

thought it wwas catchy, and sounds kinda like a black ops group.....for mods! We'll make some officers, and it can be our private den of modders to collaborate or aid in developement. Just look for me with the same tag in steam. LOL I have one forum made, specifically so we can all help eachother. 

O.K. Send me a pm of yalls steam names, I made a group. Its Called Thunderbangs! 

thought it wwas catchy, and sounds kinda like a black ops group.....for mods! We'll make some officers, and it can be our private den of modders to collaborate or aid in developement. Just look for me with the same tag in steam. LOL I have one forum made, specifically so we can all help eachother. 

I aint no modder but i can join it for testing. Read the previous comments for my account.

Would love to get together with some people and do some collaborations, I could use a group. I fiXed my issue with the head, then decided.....why be normal. and now trying to figure a way to make the toon with the neck. I'm making Flapjack from CN. I got some good plans for him. 

a neck - try editing torso part. Isead of making it look like an "egg" make uppper part of it a neck. Long enough to be visible from under the head (head png always covers torso)

Archived