An incomplete guide to Don't Starve Together

---------NOT FINISHED I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAVE DRAFT RIP IN PEPPERONI --------------------

I'd like to start by saying: don't depend on others, unless you really have to. I will talk about how the characters, survival and combat work in DST so you won't have to grind through the games.

If it's your first time joining a server, two things you have to consider- the day of the world and utility of your character.When you join a server and it's winter, it is best for you to abandon that world immediately, otherwise you are wasting your time and other people's time. The best time to join is either before Day 10 or right after winter. Next, Think about what your character brings to the table for other people, is it the brawn or brain? We can characterize the avatar by two categories:

Brawn-these are your tankers and DPSers

Wolfgang: The strong man is by far the most useless character in DST. Unless you are the host, I highly suggest you to switch to other characters. If you are the host, then this big guy is overpowering. Since the host has zero latency, Wolfgang can be used to kill almost any mobs, deerclops included.

WX-78: though fragile and awful at first, he gobbles up gears and becomes god. Not recommended.

Wendy: This is one of the best, if not the best character in the game. Abigail, in the party, can greatly increase the harvest of monster meat, silk and glands.Keep in mind, Abigail does AOE damage around herself, so spiders will be constantly stun locked. Also, it increases the chance of which the party can survive a hound wave.

MOD: Wigfrid- OP, end of story. <- also she is the party's blacksmith.

Brains: they are the party planners and utility engineers

Wilson: the main protagonist has several good tricks up his sleeves. He can explore farther distances during winter and is the only character who can make meat effigy. On the 15th day, the insulating factor for a magnificent beard is 135 seconds and yields 9 beards in total. This can easily make 2 effigies in the middle game.

The beard is probably the best perk in the game, nuff said.

Wickerbottom:

In early games, Wickerbottom can make several game breaking items without the need to find gold. Want a backpack? Here you go. Also, there is the spear you ordered. With Wickerbottom in the pack, you don't have to make an alchemy engine (though one is still recommended, later on)and collect tonnes of poop. Horticulture and tentacle books are probably the best items in game. Each one of them alone makes Wickerbottom a well rounded character. You can get unlimited amounts of berries, grass, and tentacles for a sanity discount - well worth it man. Though, as a Wickerbottom player I hate ghosts, especially griefer ghosts and eating simulator ghosts.

Willow: I hate Willow players, until I found out that Willow is a really good warrior of her own, almost toppling Wigfrid. She is played as a scout early game, thanks to her handy dandy lighter. Find the nearest mining camp, get some reeds, help out with charcoal production, you name it. Now here is the fun part: since the devs changed how the torch works in DST, there is a change that you can ignite an enemy. When you hit a thing, tallbird for example, the thing will run mindlessly and you just have to click "F" all the way. Free cooked meat.

MODS:Webber-firstly,he eats monster meat and makes spider dens. Sure he seems weak at first glance, but you can make a silk farm early and SECOND BONUS: he has a silky beard. Talk about a womaniser. Not recommended unless you are mentally depressed and anti-social like me.

Survival chapter INCOMING KREYGASM

If you just joined a server and it's only say: 5 days passed. You can toddle off the portal and find a place to dig a MAN CAVE. Several things you have to consider, amount of flint and amount of grass+twigs. If one of them is secured you can survive the first night. If not, you can log in and out to get a shining star.<<you dat champ>> .

Now, proceed to find a mining field before anyone else and make an axe so you can murder stuff(stuff I mean spiders, and don't try to kill tallbirds without armor and micro). Craft around three traps and save the berries as trap for bunnies. Drop a single berry(control+drop) three units behind a trap and you can get much needed food. If you don't have berries, you can drop the trap and chase the bunnies to the trap.

If you just joined a server and it's only say: 15 days passed. What are you waiting for, ask ppl where the god darn base is.

Now here is the tricky part, the fight. You can check the latency of your client by using an axe and charging at a lone spider. If you swing the axe and continue to hit the spider with the F key, you should get zero health loss. However, if the spider manages to hit you after you have performed the swing animation one to two times, it is best not to engage any fights for the remainder of your visit. In this case it is best if you tender the garden and collect poop.

The biginner's guide to how to kill mobs in DST: this is going to be different from DS.

Spiders: lure one spider out of the den and into open plain. Wait for the spider to perform attack animation, then quickly run before it hits. Press F key and don't stop spaming it until it dies.

Spider warrior: kill the spiders before engaging in combat with the spider warrior. Repeat what you do with the normal spiders, but with a twist. Stop hitting Spider warrior when you see your weapon swings for the seventh time, immediately point your mouse cursor away from the spider warrior and run back. Then, after the spider warrior performed the attack, you spam the F key.

Koalephants beefaloes : they have the same attack pattern. Use a boomerang when you find a koalephant(you don't have to press spacebar in DST) or attack it once when it is asleep/stuck near the edge of the cliff. You should move back as soon as possible to avoid the first hit. In DS, you can hit the koalephant 6 hits before microing out of range, in DST you have to hit the koalephant 5 times(watch the swing not the sound)and immediately backoff. Re-engage as soon as you see the attack animation is performed. As usual, use the f key. Beefaloes are similar, but this time you have to lure one away from the herd. Just hit once and run as fast as possible. There is usually one trying to catch you.

Tallbirds: not recommeded to kill im DST. Too much hassle and time for too little output. If you really want to know how to kill it, bring friends and gang r... it. I will however, tell you how to kill it if you are the host: let the tallbird perform the first hit, try not to get hit by it. Then you hit it twice and move diagonally to the space in between the front and the side of the bird. Repeat.

Clockworks: unless you bring 3 people to kill the bishop and knight, you can stop thinking about killing it yourself. Well, I lied. But, this will cost you a large porportion of your health. Bring log suits and spear/hambat witn you.

-bishops: you have to go near it and wack it several times. No skill required.

-rook: run

- knight: this one is the easiest and probably a test for your micro skillz. When it begins the headbutt animation, move away slightly(enough so you won't get hit) but close enough to chase it right after. Hit it once, then move back. Repeat by baiting out the attack animation. After some time, it will perfore a nay-taunt, this is the chance for you to hit twice. Move back immediately after you see the second swing.

NOT FINISHED I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAVE DRAFT RIP IN PEPPERONI

Willow definatly has her own thing where she can just be party scout and 'never be home if I'm less than full sanity' because oyu don't want her burning down camp or the parties supplies, but the almighty lighter means she can more or less go galavanting off wherever without any fear of Charlie or whatever, meaning she can find valuable resources (large encampments of spiders, beefalo, swamps, etc.) and just run off of scavenged resources for a good while, even maybe making outposts for people to work out of.

Willow definatly has her own thing where she can just be party scout and 'never be home if I'm less than full sanity' because oyu don't want her burning down camp or the parties supplies...

But if you can work around that, say... dapper vest + top hat, or better: walrus hat (tam o' shanter), then she's pretty much as good as gold... or charcoal... or cut grass... rocks...

Beefalo!

(yeah, probably the top hat in early stages)

Wilson: the main protagonist has several good tricks up his sleeves. He can explore farther distances during winter and is the only character who can make meat effigy. On the 15th day, the insulating factor for a magnificent beard is 135 seconds and yields 9 beards in total. This can easily make 2 effigies in the middle game. 

The beard is probably the best perk in the game, nuff said. 

Beard hair can be harvested while insane from Rabbits (called Beardlings), they'll be black all over and have a chance to drop beard hairs as well as monster meat as opposed to morsels.  Staying insane with some traps near a rabbit-hole rich area can easily have any character getting the materials that wilson gets for free, if of course one is able to kill nightmare beings, which should be an easy task for anyone knowledgeable of the ruins, though they are somewhat more difficult than in single player because they tend to phase out randomly in DST.

Archived