Web Server List

It would be cool to see how many players play on dedicated servers vs. private servers, or on survival vs. other game modes. That's why I think generating statistics on filtered lists would be useful.

I'll think about it. It will be hard to do it they way you want it, I can add players stats as another section on stats page for now.

Edit: Done. Will this satisfy you?

Another thing that would be helpful is notifications/alerts, for example when a new survival server starts up. Currently I keep having to go into the game (which I keep minimized) and refresh every 3-5 minutes in the hopes of catching a newly starting server.

Wait, what? Notifications? Why in the hell anyone would need that?

I've made country names clickable on statistics page, in case someone wants to know where this country is Google Maps should show it.

I'll think about it. It will be hard to do it they way you want it, I can add players stats as another section on stats page for now.

Edit: Done. Will this satisfy you?

That's great, thanks!

Wait, what? Notifications? Why in the hell anyone would need that?

I can only speak for myself (although I'd guess a lot of people do something similar), but my current system works like this:

1. Come home from work, settle down

2. Launch DST

3. Go through the server list and look at the servers I recognize (my "favorites") to see if they have recently started (day 1-3)

4. If not, alt-tab and browse the Internet for a few minutes

5. Go back to DST and refresh the server list

6. Rinse and repeat until a new game starts on one of my "favorite" servers.

Occasionally, a Steam friend will PM me and say, "hey, new server started, join real quick" and I'll go join that. But that doesn't happen often.

On your website, you are already gathering server statistics (although you don't seem to be grabbing what day the server is currently on). So let people create user accounts, let them pick their favorite servers, and then update the list every 10 minutes and send them a notification if one of their servers has just started a new game.

It won't be easy to do, necessarily, but you already have the core infrastructure setup, so you might be able to do it. If not, you can put the code on GitHub and I can fork it. :-)

I can only speak for myself (although I'd guess a lot of people do something similar), but my current system works like this:

1. Come home from work, settle down

2. Launch DST

3. Go through the server list and look at the servers I recognize (my "favorites") to see if they have recently started (day 1-3)

4. If not, alt-tab and browse the Internet for a few minutes

5. Go back to DST and refresh the server list

6. Rinse and repeat until a new game starts on one of my "favorite" servers.

Occasionally, a Steam friend will PM me and say, "hey, new server started, join real quick" and I'll go join that. But that doesn't happen often.

On your website, you are already gathering server statistics (although you don't seem to be grabbing what day the server is currently on). So let people create user accounts, let them pick their favorite servers, and then update the list every 10 minutes and send them a notification if one of their servers has just started a new game.

It won't be easy to do, necessarily, but you already have the core infrastructure setup, so you might be able to do it. If not, you can put the code on GitHub and I can fork it. :-)

The problem with getting day number is that I don't know how to obtain it, its not present in lobby listings file and there is no info about query protocol. I know the game client obtains it and description somehow but it's all done through SSL, can't really Wireshark this as I did with the listings.

Instead of doing it all the hard way, with accounts and stuff, I could store favorites in cookies and make seperated page (that user would have to keep opened) which would check servers from favorites cookie every minute or so with jquery, if it finds new world it could simply play some kind of sound and/or display notification.

Server List changelog:

- Added support for steam_group_only feature

- address change! (http://dstservers.jacklul.com/), old one will redirect to the new one
- added 'navigation' buttons
- you can now permalink to server status by using http://dstservers.jacklul.com/serverstatus/IP:PORT (example: http://dstservers.jacklul.com/serverstatus/54.149.188.69:10999)
- simple public API for Server Status Mod - http://dstservers.jacklul.com/api/ - will allow my server list to show more details about your server!

Quick update:

1. You can now favorite servers by clicking star icon on status popup!

(Favorites are stored as always in delicious cookie - both server IP:PORT and host's userid are stored - this is for homehosted servers with dynamic IP)

-You can use "[Favorites]" in search field to consider only favorites with your filtering.

-Reset button on Favorites page removes all favorites!

2. Experimental Region filtering - filtering by continent!

For people that have issues determining whenever their server is reachable or not:

my list is now sending fake connection packet to servers (and waits for reply) to check if they are reachable, this should work in 99% cases, only checks servers with either 0 or 1 players.

Previously I was checking it via ICMP packets, which gives a lot false positives because some firewalls don't reply that the packet was denied.

I wonder, is there any way to connect to the server via clicking on a link (url) on the web site.

It would require the game to register URL handler in OS, or 3rd party application...

If there was a way to hook into client console and send command to it from other application then this could be possible, it could also simply launch the game with some kind of +connect parameter. I helped in doing something similar in the past.

Archived