Make players drop all their inventory when banned.

Just as simple as that. Since DST became Early Access, I've had an absurd flow of griefers coming in the server, steal something important(like all our food, or our tallbird eggs), and just run off, and we've gotten to the point of having to enable PvP just so we can kill those guys(which is very tiring and time consuming) before we ban them, so we don't lose our stuff. I don't think this change would be very hard to make(although I know next to nothing in programing), and it would help a lot.

Forcing item drop on kick/ban is a must, even if, or especially if, the player has already left.

@Delannion, forcing item drops on leave makes every player lose all their inventory for nothing. Besides, it makes playing on a poor connection even worse, having to recollect every item after every disconnection.

Forcing item drop on kick/ban is a must, even if, or especially if, the player has already left.

@Delannion, forcing item drops on leave makes every player lose all their inventory for nothing. Besides, it makes playing on a poor connection even worse, having to recollect every item after every disconnection.

I don't see this as a problem.  It's not "For Nothing", it's because they're probably carrying a bunch of valuable stuff they didn't even make themselves, and they probably aren't coming back.

I agree it should be an "option", not an "always on" type of thing - if you're on a private server with friends  you aren't as concerned with random people joining the server, taking a bunch of stuff, and quitting with it.

You're assuming everyone is "probably" stealing and not returning. I see plenty of reasons to leave a game and want to keep your inventory, and only one reason that would require force drop: actual griefing. Since you most likely will want to kick or ban griefers anyway, I think it's reasonable to apply two measures at the same time (kick/ban + force drop/rollback), instead of annoying every player.

I agree it should be an "option", not an "always on" type of thing - if you're on a private server with friends  you aren't as concerned with random people joining the server, taking a bunch of stuff, and quitting with it.
let's add guns as an option.

I don't think this is a good idea at all. It'll be annoying to have to recollect all your stuff every time you leave, risky, because anybody can steal your precious items you carry with you or spiders can eat all your food, and would create a lot of confusion walking around and finding piles of loot. And you could, you know, just prepare for it(or warn people to give your special stuff back before they leave) 

let's add guns as an option.

I don't think this is a good idea at all. It'll be annoying to have to recollect all your stuff every time you leave, risky, because anybody can steal your precious items you carry with you or spiders can eat all your food, and would create a lot of confusion walking around and finding piles of loot. And you could, you know, just prepare for it(or warn people to give your special stuff back before they leave) 

The burden should be on the player to cache their stuff in a box before leaving, not on the host to nag every person who logs in not to log off with valuable items.

The burden should be on the player to cache their stuff in a box before leaving, not on the host to nag every person who logs in not to log off with valuable items.

actually, the burden should be in no one, as it is right now. It would take 3 chests to put all your inventory in, and it would generate great long-term ressources lost for no reason, while some guys leaving the server with important stuff might be a annoying, but only for a short period of time, and they might come back. If you have something that you really treasure and is potatoable, then you should just walk around with it. It's much simpler of a solution, and much better for everyone else.

@Silentdarkness1 It could work with Survival and Endless but you should know that map centre isn't always solid ground, it can be ocean depending on how world was created. I think in Wilderness all items should just drop from banned player, maybe with sign so it could be seen on the map.

Also if devs would decide to force drop all items into the world I'd suggest giving them fire resistance for few seconds. You could imagine some Willow taking useful items and then rush into bush farm and setting it on fire. Right after ban items land into the fire and everything is gone, double grief achieved.

I suggest a "death timer" such that if a player is inactive (logged out, disconnected, kicked, or banned) for a certain amount of time, their corpse drops with their items at their last known location.

Obviously, banning should result in an instant corpse, wheras kicking and disconnecting should allow a multi-day grace period. The exact time should be configurable by the host.

Archived