Surviving in DST Survival Mode

My friends and I started a survival mode game yesterday and have a pretty good setup.  However, I don't know how long we can make it last.  We are constantly short on stone, flint, and gold, and have to travel ever-increasing distances to get it.  Without caves to get more of this resource, or a teleportato to get to a new world, I don't know how long we will be able to survive.

I mean, we're doing fine for now, but hound attacks are getting tougher, and we have almost no stone left for walls etc...  Will the official release make long-term survival possible?  We like the tension of dying and needing to work together, but the inevitability of resource exhaustion and our eventual defeat at a pack of hounds is kind of a bummer.

There's a new thing in DST called "Meteors". They have a spawn point in an already-existing rocky biome (I usually find them in a bare ground patch of rocks near the mosaic biome). There are occasional meteor showers that will drop new rock and flint, or a moonstone. You can recognize the presence of a meteor spawner by scorch marks left on the ground. For gold, you'll need to feed your Pig King.

Like the other's mentioned this was the link for that update if you want to check it out: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43463-in-with-the-new-dont-starve-together-closed-beta-update-1-now-live/

Edit! embarrassing :) copied wrong link. sorry about that!

Gold wise, I like to feed pig king monster jerky. Its really easy (for me) to get :-) I usually set up camp there, by the king.

There's a new thing in DST called "Meteors". They have a spawn point in an already-existing rocky biome (I usually find them in a bare ground patch of rocks near the mosaic biome). There are occasional meteor showers that will drop new rock and flint, or a moonstone. You can recognize the presence of a meteor spawner by scorch marks left on the ground. For gold, you'll need to feed your Pig King.

:frown-new: *sniff* But Klei thinks it fair to generate a world without a pig king, and now I have no gold.  :hopelessness:

:frown-new: *sniff* But Klei thinks it fair to generate a world without a pig king, and now I have no gold.  :hopelessness:

Here's what I do...

I have my log.txt file open, and start up a new world. As soon as the world has generated, I refresh my log.txt and search for the phrase "DefaultPigking". If I don't find the phrase, I'm good, the world has a King. If I find it, it's an error like:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/data/scripts/map/object_layout.lua(418,1) Warning! Could not find a spot for DefaultPigking in node Speak to the king:6:PigKingdom

That means the world tried, but couldn't find the proper place to generate the King. Close my game, and start over.

Ah, this is great news.  Thanks guys!  I just started playing DST yesterday, and I haven't followed the development closely.  My friend mentioned something about almost getting hit by a rock yesterday, but I didn't think to go find him and try to mine it.  I know we have a pig king somewhere, but I don't think he is near our base,  I think we're going to have to move our base to be closer to the pig king and meteor field...

Archived