Webber

Now, this may seem like I am looking to far ahead, but when Webber is added, how will he function in DST?

Webber's play style is basically to plant spiders around your base. Will Webber ever be able to cooperate well with other players? Perhaps we could make any spider den's placed by Webber friendly to other players on a non pvp server.

I don't think having them place friendly spider dens would be balanced, because then I'd just have the Webber player replace all the spider dens on the map once they reached tier 3, and then spiders would just be super easy to farm for the rest of the game with no personal risk.

Perhaps spiders that are currently tamed would not attack another player unless Webber starts to attack them first, or the spider is attacked by that player. You could still place the dens close to camp, just not right inside of it. Other players could use it to farm spiders with traps and such, you'd strategically use walls to kind of corral the spiders so they could only wander out in one direction, making it still easy for Webber to tame them. In that way, they'd be like your equivalent of pig houses. Not usually placed too close to base because of full moons, but somewhere nearby and convenient when you need them. 

Webber is kind of hard to make into a team player without inconveniencing others, or making him overpowered. :/

I look forward to seeing what they do with him.

My most common farming method is trapping so non-aggressive spiders would boil down to "no personal risk" for me. Also, them being friendly towards Webber makes sense, as he appears to be one of them, but why would they ignore his friends? 

They're not smart enough to avoid eating 100% of his food drops even if he told them no, so I can't imagine they're smart enough to take "Hey, Willow is my buddy, don't hurt her!" orders competently. And it's also not like just having a spider den near your base (think 2-3 screens) is so dangerous as to be nonviable, no? Though, if it's a major problem, at some point immersion might need to be sacrificed for gameplay.

Edit: And if you rely on active trapping, that is, letting them aggro on you and lead them to the traps directly, that playstyle would become completely impossible if the local Webber messed up all the spider dens. You'd then have to hit a spider to aggro them, which engages ALL the spiders, and is much more dangerous.

well a friendly spider den would be over powered webber is one of my favorite characters to play would has and I'm sure with a little reworking of your base layout you have your base in the middle with pig houses to your right and webbers friends to your left maybe wall of the spiders so they don't wonder into your camp and open there pen when you need some help from your 8 legged friends

webber can be a very good member of the team if your smart about how you place your spider dens

Un-bribed pigs will be hostile to Webber, unbribed spiders will be hostile to non-Webbers. Once bribed, both will be non-hostile to the other player, BUT still hostile towards each other so you can't have two people with a pig army and spider army sharing the same campfire. It's pretty simple in theory. Spider queen is neutral to Webber until attacked by him, and hostile to non-Webbers as usual.

Personally I never put spider dens close to my base. That's a good way to have poor Chester get picked on.

You know, now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense to have Webber's spider minions attack your allies. Being a half-monster mutant, Webber is a bit of a social outcast so it would make a lot of sense that he can't cooperate well with other players. If he chooses to forego his spider buddies and survive like a normal human, he'd have an easier time cooperating with other characters because his spider buddies wouldn't constantly be attacking them.

Archived