Character Sprite Animation help

EbonyDream

Okay so I'm working on my first character mod and I am working on the sprite animations. I finished part of it and went to try it in Don't Starve and the hair always apears behind the head for some reason and it looks like its missing bits. I don't know how to fix it or what is causing it for that matter. I am using Wes's sprite animations as a base please help.

here what it looks like in game. post-404002-0-12976200-1418423169.png

And this is animation sprites. post-404002-0-79959600-1418423202_thumb.

if you used spriter, than you may have misdone the proper layering for the animations. this may have caused the hair to be placed impropperly. it might even have to do with the way it was made into the animation file. im not of much help, but these might be where parts of the problem reside.

Hmmm...I've never run into this issue so it might just be the fact you're using a puny template. Try Dleowolf's Extended Sample Character instead. That has a huge amount of area for each part as well as all of the lightning and tail parts. You could easily port all of your current progress over to his template without any issues at all.

Hmmm...I've never run into this issue so it might just be the fact you're using a puny template. Try Dleowolf's Extended Sample Character instead. That has a huge amount of area for each part as well as all of the lightning and tail parts. You could easily port all of your current progress over to his template without any issues at all.

Umm when I go to download the Extended Sample Character it says "The page you are looking for cannot be found."

You might want to try another internet connection? Mine's pretty terrible but I was able to download the file without a hitch.

Oh! And apparently the template was just updated for Don't Starve Together so that might have caused the problem. Try downloading it again.

I've tried it again and on 3 different browsers and still having problems. I guess I am stuck with what I got for now. Thanks anyways.

if you used spriter, than you may have misdone the proper layering for the animations. this may have caused the hair to be placed impropperly. it might even have to do with the way it was made into the animation file. im not of much help, but these might be where parts of the problem reside.

No I didn't use spriter. I don't even know how to use spriter effectively. I just got Wes's tex and build files switch it with Wilson's and renamed stuff acordinly and chanced the tex file into a png file and started working from there. And to see my changes I just turn the png file back into a tex file put it back into the right folder and load it in Don't Starve. The only thing that isn't working right is the hair and I for the life of me can't find out why.

so you are using wes's build.bin and wes's atlas-0.tex? im looking at the atlas for wes, and i dont understand the hair issue you are having either. when you moved the atlas into the zip, did u delete the atlas before doing so? because ive done this, and it resulted in breaking my atlas in an odd way of textures.

so you are using wes's build.bin and wes's atlas-0.tex? im looking at the atlas for wes, and i dont understand the hair issue you are having either. when you moved the atlas into the zip, did u delete the atlas before doing so? because ive done this, and it resulted in breaking my atlas in an odd way of textures.

Yeah I deleted it before I put the new one but I can try redoing it and see if that helps

The problem is that you're using Wilson's head as your Head-with-hat texture.  You need to replace the Wilson head with a custom one for your character.

The reason your problem is occurring is because the animations are set up with the Head-with-hat texture directly lined up with the normal Head texture.  Because you're using Wilson's head for the Head-with-hat, it looks wrong as their heads aren't the same shape.

Hope this helps!

The problem is that you're using Wilson's head as your Head-with-hat texture.  You need to replace the Wilson head with a custom one for your character.

The reason your problem is occurring is because the animations are set up with the Head-with-hat texture directly lined up with the normal Head texture.  Because you're using Wilson's head for the Head-with-hat, it looks wrong as their heads aren't the same shape.

Hope this helps!

Oh really well that sounds lame but that must be the issue. So if I use for say the Extended Sample Character will It solve this issue?

Okay I stated using the Extended Sample Character and transfered and redone what I had done on the sprites and yes its not giving me that issue any more....its giving me a new one.

:wilson_cry:post-404002-0-30859500-1418515116.png :wilson_cry:

The only thing I changed was the sprites so far and nothing else. So why is it giving me trouble, seriously what am I doing wrong. Nothing else is ginving me this problem only the head and size from the fact that I need to re-postion the head and resize it a bit I can't thing what would be causing it. Please Help!!!

i absolutely love how the hair is. seriously. that isnt sarcasm. but it might have something with the way you are putting the atlas into the .zip

try removing the atlas in the .zip before injecting your characters atlas. i accidentally broke a few builds of mine because i forgot that step. idk why.

i absolutely love how the hair is. seriously. that isnt sarcasm. but it might have something with the way you are putting the atlas into the .zip

try removing the atlas in the .zip before injecting your characters atlas. i accidentally broke a few builds of mine because i forgot that step. idk why.

I use the TEXcreator to convert png to tex and I always remember to delete the old one before I put in the new one. It doesnt do it with anything else just the head.

what are the settings you use when you convert the png back into a tex? that might or might not make a difference.

also, could you attach a log. that might show me something.

Well I don't know where I would get a log of any kind but settings wise I just use the default settings.

post-404002-0-58998700-1418525165_thumb.

that looks ordinary to me. you can find a log in PC/documents/klei/do not starve

itll be the log.txt 

that should tell me whats wrong with your scripting/how the game loads your files.

Okay I found it but its quite long since I use alot of mods. Its there a way I can maybe simlplefy it so its only show information I need.

when you go to reply, click on more options in the bottom right. on there you can attach files. use that to attach the log.txt

if you would like you could attach any other files that could help me troubleshoot this. but i understand the whole forum trust issue with files. lol. so maybe a prefab for your character as well? up to you

when you go to reply, click on more options in the bottom right. on there you can attach files. use that to attach the log.txt

if you would like you could attach any other files that could help me troubleshoot this. but i understand the whole forum trust issue with files. lol. so maybe a prefab for your character as well? up to you

Any help I can get is much apreciated. I never realized just making the sprites for my character would be so hard and I havent even started on the coding and such.

log.txt

esctemplate.zip

esctemplate.lua

you should rename everything to only be 3 letters long. that can help your coding a bit better and simplify the work. so the name is esctemplate? you should cut it down to esc. plus why do you have two atlas in your file if i may ask. im gonna look at the log now.

wow. you have organized this kinda oddly. your naming for these isnt as simple as normal. is this your first mod? how much help have you gotten ie looking at recent tutorials.

i noticed you have an anim file in your .zip. what is that for. characters have built in anim files within the game and the mod characters use it also. so there isnt any real reason the anim.bin should be there. i looked at your log and it doesnt tell me much other than your scripting names are odd, but seem to work right. which atlas are u using for this character. imma try to place it in a regular working character to see if itll still perform the bug.

Oh! You're converting .PNG to .TEX? That explains a lot...

If you're using one of the character templates like wod or extended sample character, go into the exported folder and edit those images. I can vaguely remember running into an issue like this when trying to convert .PNG to .TEX. It's a lot simpler to just edit the exported images and let the game compile everything for you. And if you find that weird or time-consuming because you can't edit a sprite sheet, I could PM you the sheet guide I've been using, and you can paste your images into the exported images. I just recently finished texturing my own character using this method and it seems to work fine.

you should rename everything to only be 3 letters long. that can help your coding a bit better and simplify the work. so the name is esctemplate? you should cut it down to esc. plus why do you have two atlas in your file if i may ask. im gonna look at the log now.

I thought you didn't have to make it only 3 letters anymore. Esctemplate is just the default name for the sample character I'm using my characters name is Weston. It has 2 atlas files because that is what the sample character had. I'm using Dleowolf's Extended Sample Character found here as suggested by DragondDePlatino earlier.

Archived