[Creature] Vultures!

A quick search turned up that a user named jujubomber has already suggested these in a thread a while back but they're something I've been thinking of all day today. On the bus this morning my girlfriend was talking about seeing Vultures on the apartments across the street from hers (a rare sight around here) and that got me thinking about Don't Starve, naturally.

Here's my concept art on them:

_idea__vultures_for_don__t_starve_by_1roquois-d5ogk5j.png

I've already posted this in my fan art thread but I figured I'd post it here as well.

Since Vultures are scavenging creatures, they are brought about by death. Death plays a large role in Don't Starve and their look would fit in pretty well in Don't Starve. Upon reaching a low amount of health, Vultures would appear around Wilson and track / hunt him. When Wilson reaches a critical health level, the Vultures can attack. These Vultures would be biome-specific creatures so you aren't always in danger of being finished off by these birds when you are weak.

The Vultures could also be lured by dropping raw meat on the ground. You could capture them with a bird trap, or perhaps advanced bird trap because they are much larger than a crow or cardinal, and harvest them to either keep as a pet (which is an idea I'm very keen on) or kill them. Killing them would produce raw meat, feathers, and perhaps talons to be used for something.

Pet Vultures would defend you from monsters stay with you provided you keep feeding them raw meat. If you don't keep feeding them, they have a chance to fly away. The Vultures would be kept on a bird perch rather than a cage.

Thoughts?

Edited by Snake

I like the idea, but I'm not too keen on having them as a combat pet. Vultures don't really seem like the type of animal that would enter combat. I would like to suggest, however, that the vulture fly away from its perch during the day and then return at dusk with a chance (not 100%) to drop some form of meat item for you.

I like this idea on the grounds that it would prevent cheatie people like me from creating giant meat piles that we retreat to whenever wolves are about.

A vulture eating all the meat before the hounds would make wolves a bit more scary, and less "Well, I guess I need to stand over there for a while..."

A quick search turned up that a user named jujubomber has already suggested these in a thread a while back but they're something I've been thinking of all day today.

Cool, a mention :) I like the art concept and its neat knowing others have similar ideas as well.

The Vultures could also be lured by dropping raw meat on the ground. You could capture them with a bird trap, or perhaps advanced bird trap because they are much larger than a crow or cardinal, and harvest them to either keep as a pet (which is an idea I'm very keen on) or kill them. Killing them would produce raw meat, feathers, and perhaps talons to be used for something.

Pet Vultures would defend you from monsters stay with you provided you keep feeding them raw meat. If you don't keep feeding them, they have a chance to fly away. The Vultures would be kept on a bird perch rather than a cage.

Thoughts?

Sounds pretty cool about the whole trapping and turning them into your pet bit. As the others are saying as well, I agree with having a limited amount of pet vultures on the map. Also, I think that even if you have one as a pet, it should still be a danger to you when your health is critical. Except rather than chasing you like the wild ones would, it would peck at you if you got too close (old habits die hard?)

A vulture eating all the meat before the hounds would make wolves a bit more scary, and less "Well, I guess I need to stand over there for a while..."

"What's that? You aren't gonna eat the meat I decided to bring you? Guess it's mine now."

Well I certainly like the idea that they would swoop down and eat meat that's lying around, because as it was pointed out we all have "meat areas" prepared for dealing with hound attacks. I use monster meat myself.

You mentioned they would be biome-specific, but not which biome. Maybe they could be used in connection with a new biome... a desert biome? Then we could add in trees on which they could land. In the past players have suggested the whole "being attacked at low health" could be abused by wearing full armor. I'm not sure that's as much a concern now that players lose Health even when wearing armor, but you can't be sure as to the balancing. Also combat between ground/aerial opponents is tricky, as I wouldn't want the vultures "hovering" around the character, like Dingbats from Final Fantasy.

I'm also against turning vultures into pets... and maybe they should be too large to trap. Maybe you need a blow dart to stun them in order to kill them... or poisoned meat (a "trap" of sorts)?

Last note, your artwork is very nice. :)