Making Single Player Worlds Multi-Player

Once DST is moved into the normal Don't Starve game, will we be able to take a single player world and make it multi-player? 

For example:

I have been playing as wx-78 for a month or so now in normal DS. Now, I want my friend who recently bought Don't Starve to join me. Will I be able to make my single-player world a server?

Don't Starve Together will be a standalone game. It's an expansion of Don't Starve in that we're expanding on the core game and making a multiplayer mode, but not in that it is literally expanding on the same code. It's derived from the Don't Starve code, but we've had to change enough that it made sense to split it out and not worry about compatibility (and our own sanity). So, mods will either be for Don't Starve or for Don't Starve Together. Don't Starve Together will always have its own folder and set of files, which means that, when you're in Don't Starve Together, DST is always implicitly enabled.

So it'll stay a separate game. It might, however, be possible to copy single-player worlds over... but I would be surprised if there wasn't at least one bug related to spawning.

I have a feeling Klei plans to implement this. After all, it would be a shame to waste this portal design;

DontStarveTogetherComic.png

Seth said in the last developer stream that he's been working on it. It's something related to marking/moving the spawn point, I think. It should be in the update tomorrow... and maybe the pictured character coming through, too? :D

@THEGHOSTOFGAMING, As far as I know, it's going to stay separate. Making DST has involved a lot of patches to the executable of the game (the C++ code), and basically every other game file had to be modified, so... not much reason not to have it as a separate game, really.

It's not going to stay separate. From the beginning they planned to have DST as an expansion to the actual game, not as a standalone. The only reason it's it's own game on Steam atm is because it's in beta. Once it goes public it'll just be a button on the actual game to go to multiplayer.

@polygone, That is what they planned at the beginning, but plans have changed:

Don't Starve Together will be a standalone game. It's an expansion of Don't Starve in that we're expanding on the core game and making a multiplayer mode, but not in that it is literally expanding on the same code. It's derived from the Don't Starve code, but we've had to change enough that it made sense to split it out and not worry about compatibility (and our own sanity). So, mods will either be for Don't Starve or for Don't Starve Together. Don't Starve Together will always have its own folder and set of files, which means that, when you're in Don't Starve Together, DST is always implicitly enabled.

Archived