Let's talk about Dr. Peddler

Anyone remembers the short, shiny, left-hooking-face-breaker robot that appeared in the alpha for the then called Incognita game? (which, for those who don't know was later renamed invisible inc, *cough cough* this game) Well I've seen the comments of someone called "truth seeker" (I don't remember very well) asking the developers to bring him back.

Now I know doctor Pedler because I saw the videos of the alpha on youtube but since I got the game when it was already on early access and just before the "active recon" update I wasn't able to really play with him. I really like Pedler's art style and I wish he'll return soon, but it worries me that the developers won't use him because WE, the players aren't asking for him. What's the point in investing time and effort on something that is not asked for.

I really enjoy the characters so far but I really want to see Pedler back and it is up to us to ask for him. I want to hear your opinions guys. Anyone who feels like I do, feel free to post down here your reasons for having Pedler back.

personally I think he has some great back story potential, HE IS A FUTURE ROBOT...AND HE IS ALSO A DOCTOR! WHAT IS MORE AWESOME THAN THAT? also did I mentioned he boxes like a boss?

I want to wrap this up by apologizing to all for such a long post, but I felt like this was necessary. Also I want to thank the developers, at first I thought it was risky to buy an early access game, but you guys have made every last penny I spent in the game worth it. Awesome game guys keep it up, you're the best

post-467333-0-41451200-1417398362.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                  post-467333-0-70664700-1417398366.pngpost-467333-0-77474400-1417398462_thumb.

According to some classified ingame data (which always helps me to have more and more hype), this pretty wile and sharp guy probably fooling everyone around the world by messing with dossiers and databases and succesfully hide his real identity and hideout from observers (as shown at the rare security cam record in the previous post , he successfully hiding under the guise and heat signature of Tony Xu. Trustful anti-corp-rebel Valdes, do not recognize the impostor, not worried by his strangely metal tone of the voice)

However, who knows, what if someday he would be interested in any benefits from contact with Central...

I hope that I doesn't spoil too much

01.png        02.png

That's an offtop, but as far as I remember there was guys who interested in creating of game wikia, if you are reading this, maybe you find some of this alpha screenshots useful? of course if Klei wouldn't mind 

03.png  04.png  

_

06.png  05.png  

07.png09.png

08.png10.png11.png 

That's an offtop, but as far as I remember there was guys who interested in creating of game wikia, if you are reading this, maybe you find some of this alpha screenshots useful? of course if Klei wouldn't mind

Well, if you read correctly they all started with "someone should..." and where never heard of again :razz: (well almost, not everyone.)

I'm still working on some form of History, though, just to see all the changes the game went through over the past year (and there were a lot :shock: ). And maybe even over a period of 2 years (some pre-stuff).

You're free to add a History page on the wikia and with combined efforts from more nostalgia freaks, who are actually following this game for that long, it could turn into something beautiful.

Why wait 10-20 years till someone makes a documentary, when they're huge and really famous, about how it all started? If they "Don't Starve" in between that is...

I'm curious if the cyborg ever come back, will his appearence be changed or not, as the visual and sound style of the game has changed a lot since the Alpha, from the 60-ies classic spy show to something like "Blade runner" or "Neyromancer". It would be cool if he got some modern redesigned shell, while his old "vintage cyberman" appearence became archive one

I'm here to keep the Pedler-love train going. Much like Shirsh said, I understand Dr. Xu is meant to replace Dr. Pedler and I think he's pretty cool, but there's just something about having a fist-fighting robot on the team. If Shirsh's theory about them being the same person is true I wouldn't even mind if he was just an alternate skin for Xu as Pedler was also a bit of a hacker and Xu's special ability would fit him.

theory about them being the same person

My English is very bad, I tried to joke that cyborg pretends that he Xu just on that picture from old build. He has been completely replaced by a man dr.Xu, but there appeared some new information in strings.lua since hotfix to 7th update...
And at today's devcast James and Jason showed a teaser:
twitch_teaser.png
reading a text description, I was sure that it would be the old cyborg (the more so because Peddler visually reminds the interpretation of Bruce Sterling's lobsters like it was done in Deus Ex 2, which fit the text). But now, with this picture, I think we can't be sure that it the same person =)

My English is very bad, I tried to joke that cyborg pretends that he Xu just on that picture from old build. He has been completely replaced by a man dr.Xu, but there appeared some new information in strings.lua since hotfix to 7th update...
And at today's devcast James and Jason showed a teaser:
twitch_teaser.png
reading a text description, I was sure that it would be the old cyborg (the more so because Peddler visually reminds the interpretation of Bruce Sterling's lobsters like it was done in Deus Ex 2, which fit the text). But now, with this picture, I think we can't be sure that it the same person =)

Holy... they revealed that during the stream today? Good lord, I feel bad for missing that. Because damn these two look amazing. Klei, you keep on always exceeding my expectations. Absolutely glorious,

Well, there was this titbit from Kevin in the archive ghosts update thread:

"Doctor Xu's current in-game age actually dates from an older (ha!) version of the character that was supposed to be a transhumanist type that was addicted to augmentation. "

I always assumed that Dr Xu was one incarnation of the cyborg Dr Peddler after that.

That's some great information you all guys gathered thanks a lot! But now I want to talk about something else, how about stats? has anyone thought of it? cause I have some ideas:

Has anyone noticed how EVERY agent fills at least level 1 on every category? for example Dr Xu doesn't specialize on any category but is level 1 stealth, level 1 hacking, level 1 inventory and level 1 anarchy.

I thought that It would have been very interesting to see an agent "level 0" on a stat. Now, we now what level 1 does on every stat. If you check the lower corner in the upgrades window you can see what every stat does at every level.

I was thinking that since Pedler is such a big and clunky character he could be kind of clumsy at the beginning having "level 0" at stealth being very noisy when walking. He would be running, pretty much all the time, that is until he is upgraded to level 1 in stealth.

Of course that would be a very big penalty for any character but that could be balanced by giving him +2 levels on any other ability. for example:

stealth: level 0 (this guy isn't the best spy around)

hacking: level 3 (but beware of his hacking skillz! he gets +2 in this stat to compensate the stealth level 0 penalty)

inventory: level 1

anarchy: level 1

Or something like that. Althought I don't feel this stat fit Pedler well, because from what we know already he must be the most stealthy person in the whole invisible inc. universe since he has been hiding from the corporations AND the central which (is supposed) to have among the best spies around! This would make every character have unique stats as well as abilities and would add more variety to the characters.

But I would like to know what stats do YOU guys come up with if you have a suggestion post your stats in this forum please.

Super agent. Super Overpowered Agent. Of course, said Agent is the last to be unlocked, requires an arcane knowledge of the game, and by the time you're capable of getting such a Super Overpowered Agent, you won't need said Super Overpowered Agent.

But in all seriousness, I was wondering if there could be something regarding the augment system. Maybe instead having more augments at the start. Or something. We got this obviously augmented agent. Give him EVERY AUGMENT POSSIBLE!

old looks like an little awkward, yet stealthy robot hacker with a good temper (although his hacker abilities was accompanied by +1 melee KO), but new one more like cold-blooded dangerous person
probably engineering accessories can not be a guarantee that he would be specialized as hacker instead of combat machine, some guards equipped with those tech-armlets too
I would guess that he can simply have +1 melee ko (to be not super overpowered but add more diversity, don't forget that probably he also would be common agent in detention cells roster)

and I guess that someday personal shield devices can be added (disposal or with cooldown), in any case, two new characters will probably get two new custom items (and if there two new agents, probable later would be added third. I'll bet that afro-girl is stealthy, cyborg is hacker or fighter, one vacancy is free)

I need to add three pics: 64x64 icon, picture for loadout choice and an x1024-ish screen to between-mission management

problem with 1 and 2 is only to make them readable by game engine, 3rd one require art., I mean real nice art that could looks at least as younger brother to Klei's arts. 

Another my problem is: Pedler was using wireless emitter at his golden days, but it's not cool to make second Internationale now when it's not an common engineers' perk but Inter-associated exclusive. Also he had KO bonus... actually yeah, it's not cool to make second Sharp too. 

I like melee animation without tazer and spent some time to making augment crossed with melee weapon, but failed with it: it's either lethal, either just alert enemy, without KO. Lethal is OP. And lethal. I don't like lethal. Even with awesome "knock in the head" animation.

So obviously (lol) I start to make him scanner grenade-like as something that can represent his old wireless scanner but not be a wireless scanner, and not be just a sticky-camera too, but monster-hybrid. I'm afraid it's a bit OP >_<  . It don't listening to me and don't do cooldown. It also don't listen to me and don't work with power requirements. >_<

There's "break door" exist, it can be something representing his metal-legs (since I can't find harmony with his metal hands). I make for him slightly different door-breaking ability, that consume action point at least. (I'd like to make him consume power for it, but no, can't make it), Actually I was thinking about breaks of locked red doors for power and with +2 or +3 alert penalty, but I'm not a coder at all >_<

I get that he is a very straight reference to Cybermen and real Dr. Kit Pedler person (and to his dr.Who fictional tribute character), there's thing: I never saw Pedler from Invisible as a cold-hearted Cyberman (ie character that could have a lethal melee attack), but more as an absent-minded professor or like a character similiar to Fugitoid from TMNT. What are you guys think about? What's his "alignment" should be? 

@HumanKirby That's cool, thanks. I have problem with agents portaits-line at start. Only ten shown, and if I add new one, it either became hidden (that's kinda cool though, like old-school hidden character), either it moved line and hide last one (I have no problem with it, because never choose Central or M0nsr3r at start, and even like to hide Central). Agents who"don't fit" the line picked by "Random" or arrows without problems. 

Maybe you know how make that "portrait-line" longer?

And augments/abilities suggestions always always welcomed. +20 of welcome to coded and working ones).

Also  I often had problem with "assert" at line 74 of pcplayer.lua (but I sumply could break too much code by other things, it's on a longer side of "to do"list anyway)

I'll probably just finish pics and will upload .kwad, animdefs and agentdefs (I added some cybermen quotes days ago) as "modder resource" (Or will try to mess with aug/item/perk too, no promising).

And maybe I should just give to him renamed Central or M0nster augment? As easier way to not create awful unbalanced mess?

today's collage progress:

post-448854-0-43316400-1433658220_thumb.

If you guys are still taking ideas for an augment for Peddler I have two suggestions:

1. If we have a mainframe devices scanner why not have a heartbeat sensor scanner?! Peddler would basically be able to find guard positions without having to peek similar to internationale's augment but instead of terminals or devices it would work on guards additionally Peddler could tag guards like the tag gun or the wisp program work but only one guard at a time per turn that means that with peddlers augment you can only tag a single guard no matter what. Sure if you feel like you may want to switch the guard but that would be until next turn (I suggest to make this for free, very power cheap or have a cooldown because of the inconvenience of only being able to tag one guard)

2. Make Peddler a mobile Null-drone, of course he would have a very small radius of interference but still a blocked camera or turret is not functional this ability would be better used with internationale's help. Internationale finds the devices and peddler blocks them for example, assuming you have 0 power, no consoles are on internationale's range and you posses a buster chip, internationale finds a camera on the other room, the camera is only one tile away but there is a wall in the middle and it is imposible to reach the camera and hack it manually using the buster chip you would have to risk being seen and hack it or just run past by it but activating the camera in both cases, well with peddlers help peddler would stand on the wall which is closer to the camera from another room and block the camera, the camera is out of service and internationale can easily go through search for power and hopefully help peddler get out of there alive since peddler's blocking radius is short (I suggest a 2 tile radius 2 tiles up 2 down 2 left and 2 tiles right) and blocking a camera deactivates it but does not hack it. Also since you are deactivating it not hacking it this ability would be very helpful when dealing with those annoying plastech modded mks!

Archived