Question for the Devs

For the ROG beta, anyone who wanted to pony up the $5 or so to buy it was allowed to play and beta test. What has changed since then that requires this slow key distribution scheme? Why can't all 80,000 people who signed up for the Beta get a key? Why can't you release it as an update to vanilla right now? I'm really confused...

Bracing for the hate from the forums,

RobotAccomplice

For the ROG beta, anyone who wanted to pony up the $5 or so to buy it was allowed to play and beta test. What has changed since then that requires this slow key distribution scheme? Why can't all 80,000 people who signed up for the Beta get a key? Why can't you release it as an update to vanilla right now? I'm really confused...

RobotAccomplice

Because testing.

They don't want to release a product that's full of bugs/glitches

IM LOOKING AT YOU EA GAMES

I think this is because RoG was just adding content to the pretty stable Lua side of the game. DST involves a much more extensive overhaul of the entire game engine, including a ton of stuff in the C++ part of the game, which is harder to debug and gives less useful diagnostic information to players about the cause of the crash (e.g. when the game closes without a warning screen, it's usually a C++ crash instead of a Lua crash).

So while with RoG it was expected that mostly testers were catching a few edge-case bugs and mostly giving feedback on how the game played, DST has had a lot more game-breaking bugs and instability. When that's the case you want a much smaller pool of testers, for a couple of reasons:

• You don't need as many testers to catch these basic bugs. Having more testers means more duplicate reports, which makes it harder to see the bugs that are rarer, and can overwhelm the support network for the game. Later on when there are fewer bugs, you want more testers because bugs are harder to find.
  • The more players you have in a game, the more pressure there is on developers to avoid doing overhauls of things, because if they make a small mistake, it could result in a game-breaking bug, and crowds of players going "PLZ FIX NOW, I CAN'T PLAY AUUUUUGH". Some people may be able to brush that off, but for most people it's pretty stressful, I think.
  • The wider the pool is, the more your game is seen as a finished product, regardless of whether you're calling it a beta or alpha or whatever. So it can get a game in-progress written off early.

RobotAccomplice

I know you wanted a dev response, and I am far from that. But I believe they have already answered on why they chose it this way, in a few places, but I am only going to link one recent. Which, if i remember correctly, they have also said they could very well change it up in the future as there is no real set plans. And to clarify I mean there is no exact date or time and for sure thing they will do, like at such and such day they will give out X amount and so on. They have informed us on what's currently happening which I take as a general guide/timeline if you will of what they intend to have happen. It's all a work in progress if you will. (Like if they managed to fix all the bugs and complete the game 100% perfectly, they would most likely send out all the keys then. Just trying to say it takes time and testing to see how things go and change their plans accordingly.)

But as far as I saw they are working on a few major things first, and get that out of the way. But they intend on giving everyone who applied their chance at beta, we just have to be patient for our turn right now while they work on things they need to do and what makes them feel comfortable.

So. We really want to add some things to help players protect the games that they host before we let in a lot more people, but for now, we are giving away 400-500 keys a day and we will likely be doubling that number once we get these details ironed out.

Quote is from: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43172-dst-beta-update-phase-2-october-31st/

I was not around here for ROG, but I think the dev's clearly intend on this being a free update for those who already own the base Don't Starve game. So, they are not trying to milk anyone for extra money for sooner access. It's their decision and I respect that. I could understand why they did it with ROG as that is now an add-on which still costs extra.

I'm going to link this as it seems like a "high priority" item that they want in place before several thousands come bursting through the DST doors. Which I personally can understand.  :-)http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43824-trolls/#entry566220

Just sharing what I notice. Take care!

Archived