Hounds enforce turtling

Anyone else feel this way? Once you are setup near pigs or beefalos, you really don't want to stray too far away from your camp unless its generally right after a hound attack, or you have a few meat effigys set up.

This is especially enforced when they come in the evening, and you have no choice but to equip a miners helm or run around your camp fires, kiting them.

Early game, around day 7, the few that come are easy to deal with, when more come mid game, they are more of an annoyance that keeps you near your base, than any real threat, especially since you would probably have at least one effigy and one amulet

My first game encounter with them, i didn't know what they were and easily killed the 2 that came. Then aroudn the 3rd game, i was scared of them coming, but by my 6th game or so, i just rolled my eyes when the snorting started and ran back to base, lit 3 fires if it was late and waited for them

Simple tactic to deal with the hounds. If you hear them place one or two morsels or monster meat down and make sure you are in a open area. When they come the first one or two will go for the meat instead of you making them a easy kill. Each of them will drop a monster meat and the others that follow will go for that meat again. To avoid the "evening" situation just place a fire pit outside your base, again in a open area (also to avoid any kind of fire) and simply repeat what I said above. They are to simple to kill or to simple to get away from.

ahh yeah good idea, would save long runs back, though later in the game they are more numerous and have seen them enter my screen 3 at once at one point, forcing you to do some kiting, though with a football helmet and log suit and honey, pretty easy to kill and take a few hits.

If you make then harder to kill = woudl mean enforcing more turtling, keep them the same: not really a threat.. though with their road map, in sparser worlds they might get tough. I guess eventually the plan is your first world is like limbo, and every portal you take is a different level deeper into hell ;)

woudl be cool to confront that guy at the beginning at the last world :p

Maybe you personally don't want to leave the base but if Hounds attack, i LEAVE my base. Not to mention that spending every day at camp is ******* boring. I like to go clear out spider nests, explore each island fully, gather resources/food and kill stuff in the swamp. If you like to sit in ur base all day, thats on you. You can't say Hounds enforce that behaviour. You do. Hounds force you to make armour and a weapon to prepare yourself. Ive fought Hounds away from my base pretty much 70-80% of the time, in a nice open clearing.

Yeah, i am not sure why you keep going back to your base. The hounds seem to spawn where YOU are, not where your base is. Once you hear the howling of the hounds, make a run for it. Put on some armor and a helmet and sit in the open somewhere far away from anything you care about. I think people are under the impression that the howling is an alert that hounds are nearby, which doesn't seem to to be the case. The hounds howling is an implication that they are about to spawn some hounds, and you need to ready up. The hounds don't actually exist within the gameworld until after the audio que is over.

Just the lowest risk IMO. The world is finite, and i guess because this is BETA, once you have stacks upon stacks of supplies and have seen the world, not much other to do other than hang around your base and improve it.

this would probably be solved in the longer term end game improvements, but i still think the overall idea of increasing waves of attacking baddies, especially if this is only the first instance of pushback pressure you get, there is no reason not to use the safety of beefalos or pigs.

maybe this has to do with the soft economy right now, and how after a few days, you don't need to hunt or gather much at all to survive.

If the economy was harsher and turtling was tougher to do, i can see how the hounds could be a bit more stressful, though unless they are just the first instance of monsters that hunt you down, they are mere annoyances, i usually use them as an alarm bell to return to base to drop off supplies and do some gardening, lol

I always felt that hounds did change the way I played the game. Prior to the hounds I only really worried about hunger and darkness, and I had no issue exploring to far distant islands in search of uncommon resources (i.e. reeds from swamps). After the hounds were added I ended up planning around their attacks by waiting until after an attack before even trying to go exploring. But even then I felt I shouldn't explore too far... just in case.

I always felt the concept of the hounds was fine, but I would have preferred if they were connected to a specific biome. Something like an open grassy plain with a few trees (i.e. like a savannah). Then when the player enters this biome they run a high risk of triggering a hound attack. If this were the case hounds could attack during any time of day and with fewer warning howls, as the players would grow accustom to where they hounds appear (rather than anywhere/anytime). In this case I wouldn't even mind them attacking more often, faster, and still from out of nowehere.

That's just my opinion of course.

I personally don't worry about hounds. If I hear the warning sounds, I drop my pack and put on my logsuit and football helmet and wait for them to come make my day. I'm at a point now where I can get up to six of these guys on screen at once, and it's still not really any trouble with my armor and tentacle spike. In fact, if I find myself in my base camp when I start hearing hounds, I will actually abandon my camp and go to meet them in an open area, for fear that a hellhound will burn up my base and items if killed in the middle of my camp. Dunno why it would make anyone feel like they need to turtle.

I don't find hounds to be particularly threatening. The ol' "drop meat on the ground" trick seems to do wonders for dealing with them. If I hear them coming, I just place some meat around, put on my log suit, and prepare to slice up some easily-distracted doggies. I think that either the hounds could use a buff, or more threats need to be added so that I could be forced into a more vulnerable state, which would give the hounds a chance to deal a finishing blow. Thankfully, it looks like the "more threats" thing is being worked on, with the upcoming content involving the spider queen.

On a side note, I do feel that the hounds in later game need to drop something rare. I will fight six or seven at a time and get nothing but monster meat and horns. Blah!

Fire hounds (which, as far as I know, become more common the longer you live) can drop red gems, which can be used to craft amulets.