So I'm assuming the BETA is going good?

Well, it would be, if the people who join servers wouldn't get lag. If you're the host of the server, you won't have lag, however, if you join a server, you will have lag. I think that if you have set a lot of things to more or lots, even the controls go nuts and the host starts to control your character as well in a way. All this because of lag.

Well, it would be, if the people who join servers wouldn't get lag. If you're the host of the server, you won't have lag, however, if you join a server, you will have lag. I think that if you have set a lot of things to more or lots, even the controls go nuts and the host starts to control your character as well in a way. All this because of lag.

I died in a burning forest because of lag :(

I almost died to two beefalos because of lag. Thought, I was wearing log suit and I lost a lot of health anyway (log suit had 64% durability left) so I'm assuming the lag caused the suit not to give any protection at all!

Well lets fret not because knowing Klei they will probs fix it soon.

Don't quote me on this but I think the devs probably have some form of dedicated server reserved for the Rhymes with Play streams of DST. I'm pretty sure they've confirmed they'll be rolling out some dedicated servers for the general player base as soon as they can manage, but for right now we just have to roll with the punches and try to find servers with some level of stability. I find anything significantly above 4 players at the moment becomes really unruly and near-unplayable since you can barely pick up items and rubber-band like crazy, but really it depends on the server, I've been on really great servers relatively free of delay and lag save for the very occasional occurrence and even then it doesn't last longer than a second or two. If you go into an 8 person server or above, I'd say know what you're getting into because it's probably going to be a painful experience. :p

Well maybe it is because of "EU playing with US"??? From CS i know that its impossible to play with someone from US (im from middle Europe)

There's a bit of that, but for the most part the lag seems to be related to the server running the game, not the network conditions. It doesn't seem to just be computer specs, because I have a pretty good computer and still seem to have a moderately laggy server (quad core 4ghz, 16gb RAM). One thing that I've noticed is that Don't Starve never goes above 30% CPU usage, which suggests to me that almost all of the game logic is running on one thread. I could definitely be wrong about that, though.

If for nothing else, then I'd guess that having dedicated servers might allow you to have that one thread running all the game logic be separate from the one that's running your client's game logic, so hopefully hosting a dedicated server and connecting to it as a client will work better than just hosting normally. Maybe...

But the TL;DR is that lag is a more systemic problem with the way the game is written right now, not just the network. You can have great ping to a server (less than 100), and still get tremendous lag (500ms+ of delay).

Archived