Deactivating attacks on passive mobs

I'd be quite handy if there was a way to temporarily deactivate the possibility to attack passive mobs. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to accidentaly click on a beefalo with a tool/torch equiped while trying to move from point A to point B, and find himself with some ten angry beefalos charging on him, leading to quite an absurd death*. So if, say, we could tap "b" to activate/deactivate the possibility to attack neutral mobs, this kind of thing wouldn't happen, and they are particularly frustrating, in a bad way.

If this has already been suggested, I'm sorry for spamming the forum.

*In the case that inspired me to make this suggestion, I was going back to my camp at night, in the middle of a beefalo herd. The torch doesn't let you see very far, so I couldn't even expect that I had clicked on a beefalo until I was literally on him. And well, as I didn't have a second torch prepared, when I stopped to make a new one, I got one-shotted by three beefalos...

This suggestion has come up before, usually following the phrase "While picking up manure...". Personally I don't see this as being such a serious issue that it needs to be resolved. Accidents happen, even though this has yet to happen to me. Your torch story sounds like a "classic" Don't Starve death. You should be proud. ;)

Accidental deaths are the game's tutorial. :p

Mobius Is right , accidents are ment to happen , you make them all the time in real life , if not , you must be a very precise person to do everything the way you want it to happen , and heres a lesson : Miner's hats are the way to go , they're really cheap and after killing a stray spider or 10 you can easily get alot of them , you can even get one by day 4 if you try hard enough.

I've never made that mistake , for the sole reason that i'm always near my camp and always have a grass tufts when interacting with beefalo's , manure is a daytime chore for me , nights are for checking on farms/Cooking crock goodies , If i do missclick I "examine" or quickly back out of the situation (many times have I held a shovel and dug up berry bushes that I wasted manure on.

Just try to unequipping weapons in the daytime when collecting manure or generally turn the screen around a bit , you may get dizzy but it keeps the maxwell away.

I think the worst mistake I made was exploring to a new island and leaving extra resources "back at home". Then when sunset rolled in I realized I didn't have any stone or grass (i.e. no torch or firepit). And would you know it, the island I was on didn't have either. I ran and realized I wouldn't make it... so I attacked a spider nest and died fighting. Better that than the Grue.

The lesson I learned was, always carry a torch. And you know what? This lesson saved my life later when in one case my firepit became extinguished. ;)

I'm okay with dying because I'm stupid (and trust me, I died many times because of that), I'm not okay with dying because my character did something that I simply didn't want him to do because of the way the input works, that's fake difficulty. There's no reason not to change that, if possible.

During the day, I unequip tools so that I don't attack beefalos, I made that mistake with pigmen already. But this was during the night, and I was farther from my camp than I would have liked, so I had to equip the torch, which means insta-attacking any beefalo that slept in my way, since I couldn't see them. My character was quite recent too, I hadn't researched neither the miner hat nor the pan flute, so those were two options I didn't have (and that I would have gladly used, if possible). So meh.

During the day, I unequip tools so that I don't attack beefalos, I made that mistake with pigmen already. But this was during the night, and I was farther from my camp than I would have liked, so I had to equip the torch, which means insta-attacking any beefalo that slept in my way, since I couldn't see them. My character was quite recent too, I hadn't researched neither the miner hat nor the pan flute, so those were two options I didn't have (and that I would have gladly used, if possible). So meh.

Well it certainly wasn't your fault, but these things just sort of happen. And for the record, yes, I've attacked pig men too. Hilarious! You just have to have a log suit and/or football helmet on to protect you from these little "accidents" and then be prepared to run. It's not a sure-fire solution every time, but I find it works. Also, I rarely run around at night with a torch, but hey, that's just me.