[Server Crash] - Can't get past day 33

Tulingu

Bug Submission:

Category: Server Crash

Issue Title: Can't get past day 33

Issue Description: My friend and I made it to day 33 when my game/server suddenly crashed (around dusk-time). This crash affected only me, not my friend, but I had to shut down DST in order to continue because staring at some LUA error screen wasn't too fun. I restarted DST and we spawned at the start of day 33 and proceeded to catch up on lost progress.

Around dusk-time the game/server crashed for a second time, so I restarted DST again. We spawned at the start of day 33 with all progress lost.

As we worked our way to dusk the game/server crashed a third time. Exactly the same error screen as before but my friend was still able to play on the server until I restarted DST. We lost all progress as usual.

Seems like we're stuck on day 33 considering I got the same error-screen three times in a row. The crash does not affect other players until I restart DST.

Steps to Reproduce: Honestly have no clue but the crash triggers around dusk-time on day 33.

LOG FILE: log.txt

post-235175-0-29825300-1413421384_thumb.

This looks similar to the stack trace of the attacking-while-trapping crash (attack an enemy as it is being captured by a trap). So that suggests there were specific circumstances related to combat that caused the crash. From the rest of the crash it looks like something is trying to aggro something else, but it doesn't actually have a combat component... which shouldn't happen, but that's what I'm reading. If you haven't started up the game again, could you provide the full log file in a spoiler?

Edit: from looking at your screenshot and the log file, they're two separate crashes, but both of them involve trying to find components on a replica that doesn't have them. Not sure what world entities the first one is involved with, but the second one has to do with trying to make a Mac Tusk hunting party and arranging that Mac Tusk is leading and his son is following (the son replica doesn't have the follower component).

Not that this is really any help to you, but hopefully it will help the devs figure out the source of the problem.

Hey I'm the friend. I also wanted to mention a few bugs I found when playing with Ecfor, that I think aren't general bugs everybody has mentioned.

1. If you die whilst wearing a bag pack, your bag pack inventory will still show on the screen but you're unable to access it.

2. When I died because of rubber banding into hounds and the game was restarted because Ecfor crashed (not their fault since everything was running smoothly until that moment), when it was started back up my skeleton AND ALL MY STUFF was gone. Which sucked. it sucked a lot. 

3. Tree-guard spawning has been a bit random for us.

Hey I'm the friend. I also wanted to mention a few bugs I found when playing with Ecfor, that I think aren't general bugs everybody has mentioned.

1. If you die whilst wearing a bag pack, your bag pack inventory will still show on the screen but you're unable to access it.

2. When I died because of rubber banding into hounds and the game was restarted because Ecfor crashed (not their fault since everything was running smoothly until that moment), when it was started back up my skeleton AND ALL MY STUFF was gone. Which sucked. it sucked a lot. 

3. Tree-guard spawning has been a bit random for us.

1) I think that might've been fixed in the hotfix yesterday (last line of the patch notes). But I never encountered it myself. Might be related to http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/41881-general-backpack-window-opened-when-no-backpack-is-equipped/?hl=backpack

2) Sounds like http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/42033-client-crash-hosts-game-crashed-while-i-died-weird-side-effects/

3) I'm not sure what you mean. Treeguards have always been random chance?

This looks similar to the stack trace of the attacking-while-trapping crash (attack an enemy as it is being captured by a trap). So that suggests there were specific circumstances related to combat that caused the crash. From the rest of the crash it looks like something is trying to aggro something else, but it doesn't actually have a combat component... which shouldn't happen, but that's what I'm reading. If you haven't started up the game again, could you provide the full log file in a spoiler?

I've never submitted a log file before. I'd be glad if you could provide me with instructions :grin: I have to find a specific folder I'm right?

I've never submitted a log file before. I'd be glad if you could provide me with instructions :grin: I have to find a specific folder I'm right?

Oh, sorry. It'll be in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/log.txt.

Another file that is relevant sometimes (as I understand it, it's when the game crashes with no error screen) is the mdmp, which all get put in Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/bin/ (there's a new one every time it crashes like that).

Oh, sorry. It'll be in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/log.txt.

Another file that is relevant sometimes (as I understand it, it's when the game crashes with no error screen) is the mdmp, which all get put in Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together Beta/bin/ (there's a new one every time it crashes like that).

Log file has been attached to post #1. MDMP file did not exist in the directory you described. I got all the other files that are supposed to be there but saw no letters such as mdmp whether it be file extension or name.

This actually sounds in-tuned with the crash that tonylouny and I reported.  Though the crash itself has a little bit more detailed then last time. See my (UPDATE 1) log2 and (UPDATE 2) log3 files.  It still occurs even now.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/42032-server-crash-more-mactusk-crash-the-load-map/?p=551079

Also I have another log of it happening just right now: log5.txt

This actually sounds in-tuned with the crash that tonylouny and I reported.  Though the crash itself has a little bit more detailed then last time. See my (UPDATE 1) log2 and (UPDATE 2) log3 files.  It still occurs even now.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/42032-server-crash-more-mactusk-crash-the-load-map/?p=551158

Also I have another log of it happening just right now: attachicon.giflog5.txt

You've used multiple threads to link back to your MacTusk thread. Is my error screenshot and log-file similar to yours? I've honestly not compared them due to lack of LUA skills.

• Developer

Hey @Miss,

Do you still have the world that crashes consistently during said day?

If so I would love to have a look at the save file. If you go to the directory where the log is and then in the subdirectory 'save' there should be 'survival_1' to 'survival_5', I'd be interested in the one with the same number as the slot for your server in the hosting screen.

I am fairly sure what it is and am working on a fix for that, but would like to verify and see if I can make it resume worlds that have already been broken.

Thanks,

Kaj :)

Hey @Miss,

Do you still have the world that crashes consistently during said day?

If so I would love to have a look at the save file. If you go to the directory where the log is and then in the subdirectory 'save' there should be 'survival_1' to 'survival_5', I'd be interested in the one with the same number as the slot for your server in the hosting screen.

I am fairly sure what it is and am working on a fix for that, but would like to verify and see if I can make it resume worlds that have already been broken.

Thanks,

Kaj :-)

Found it, here you go :]

miss_survival_5.zip

• Developer

Hi @Miss,

Hmmmm, I thought the log file was in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether?

(But I've been wrong before, I vaguely remember this time in 1983 ;) )

Anyhow, could you check Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether and see if there's a save directory in there containing said survival_1..5 files?

Kaj

Hi @Miss,

Hmmmm, I thought the log file was in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether?

(But I've been wrong before, I vaguely remember this time in 1983 ;) )

Anyhow, could you check Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether and see if there's a save directory in there containing said survival_1..5 files?

Kaj

LOG file can be found in post #1, aka the bug submission itself. But you did ask for the save file aheahe ;)

I uploaded the save file in post #11. That's the save file the server runs on. There is nothing else I can provide. It was ZIP archived because Klei banned users from uploading save files.

• Developer

@Miss,

Reason I mentioned the log file was because I said the save file should be in the same directory, and I thought the log file was in Documents/etc. Doesn't really matter - thanks for providing the save file - gonne have a look at it! :)

Kaj

• Developer

Hey @Miss,

Drat, so far I have been unable to reproduce this issue (the one in the screenshot).

The repeating crash you were experiencing - do you know if it's the one on the screenshot (regarding 'IsValidTarget') or the one in the log file (the one regarding 'SetLeader' - this one I have fixed)?

If you still get the former, please let me know, and if you can - does it even crash if you do nothing? 

Is either actively killing things?

I know you don't know how to repro it, but any clue I can get to get closer to repro-ing it will help tremendously. 

Cheers,

Kaj

Hey @Miss,

Drat, so far I have been unable to reproduce this issue (the one in the screenshot).

The repeating crash you were experiencing - do you know if it's the one on the screenshot (regarding 'IsValidTarget') or the one in the log file (the one regarding 'SetLeader' - this one I have fixed)?

If you still get the former, please let me know, and if you can - does it even crash if you do nothing? 

Is either actively killing things?

I know you don't know how to repro it, but any clue I can get to get closer to repro-ing it will help tremendously. 

Cheers,

Kaj

I will attempt to play through day 33 on my own and see what kind of erros I get. Give me a day or two, got some boring real-life work ahead :grin: Thanks for taking your time btw.

Hi @Miss,

If you can that would be great, but if it wasn't in the schedule I won't blame you. Just trying to get any repro I can get :-)

Thanks,

Kaj

Casualsmoker and I played together and everything worked fine. Not a single crash so far ^^

Seems like the bug disappeared by itself. I have no additional LOG files to give.

Archived