[Gameplay] - Teleporting back in time?

Falconguy

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Issue Title: Teleporting back in time?

Issue Description: When i play the game sometimes i teleport back in time to the place i was a few seconds before mostly this happens when i am mining or chopping or a activity of sorts but it also sometimes happens when i am simply walking

Steps to Reproduce: It happened randomly i don't know what caused it

When i play the game sometimes i teleport back in time to the place i was a few seconds before mostly this happens when i am mining or chopping or a activity of sorts but it also sometimes happens when i am simply walking

You do have a "ping-meter" on the top left of your screen. Use it to determine the amount of possible lag :grin: Or in Don't Starve Together's case = Amount of rubberbanding.

Most people seem to do fine as long as ping is under 90 but low values would obviously be better, that'd make in-game fighting heck of a lot easier. The closer to 0 ping the better gameplay.

@Falconguy Technically what's happening is that when you click to go somewhere (or do another action), your game predicts the effects of that and shows you moving there. Meanwhile, it tells the server that you wanted to move there, so you move on the server at a slight delay. Over time, your position in game gets more and more out of sync with the server, and eventually the server forces a "resyc"-- it says "hey client, let me update you on your actual position", and your character snaps back to the position it actually has on the server.

You can turn off the prediction manually with the console ( ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) ) if you'd prefer to see the actual delay and wait for your client to hear back on the server before moving the character. It's less smooth and responsive feeling, but there's no rubberbanding.

You can turn off the prediction manually with the console ( ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) ) if you'd prefer to see the actual delay and wait for your client to hear back on the server before moving the character. It's less smooth and responsive feeling, but there's no rubberbanding.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I'm playing with my partner (host, sitting right next to me) with a ping of 10-12 at all times, and my lag is so bad I can't even pretend to do anything combat-worthy. I'm turning off prediction the next time we play.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I'm playing with my partner (host, sitting right next to me) with a ping of 10-12 at all times, and my lag is so bad I can't even pretend to do anything combat-worthy. I'm turning off prediction the next time we play.

Keep in mind if your lag is bad, it will still probably be bad with prediction disabled. But at least you won't be rubberbanding. I hope it helps! :-)

I think most of the lag is actually in the server's simulation -- it's just not getting around to updating your position as frequently as it needs to. So if your friend's computer is not so great in the gigaflops department, that might be the culprit :razz:. I know that even with my beast gaming computer if I stream and play at the same time my server is awful.

Edit: Distance to Klei shouldn't matter, the only traffic that goes through them is to list the servers, I think. I wouldn't expect you to get much lag at all with a setup like that. I could be wrong! I'd be curious to know how turning off action prediction affects it though. If you want to troubleshoot, some other things you could try are:

• Only using one monitor on the host computer (I don't think this would actually do anything, but it might)
  • Turning off any "active mode" of Avast, if it's on
  • I haven't tested it myself, because I have nobody to play on LAN with me, but there's a filter toggle for LAN, so see if your friend's server is showing up there. I'm not sure if LAN is automatic (in which case it should show up) or not implemented yet, though.

Keep in mind if your lag is bad, it will still probably be bad with prediction disabled. But at least you won't be rubberbanding. I hope it helps! :-)

I think most of the lag is actually in the server's simulation -- it's just not getting around to updating your position as frequently as it needs to. So if your friend's computer is not so great in the gigaflops department, that might be the culprit :razz:. I know that even with my beast gaming computer if I stream and play at the same time my server is awful.

Gigaflops, haha, haven't heard that one.

I wish we could blame his computer or background applications. I'm pretty sure that's not it, but what do you think? I can tell by your posts that you definitely know this area better than I do... I'm more programmer than IT. Feel free to take this into PM if you think we may derail the bug here.

His processor isn't top of the line anymore, but it should be more than worthy (AMD FX 6100, overclocked to 4.5). The only things running besides DST aren't resource hogs at all:  Steam (obvs), Avast, DisplayFusion, SpeedFan, and Rainmeter. We don't ever stream, we can't stand the sound of our own voices once recorded, so we'll never subject someone else to them :wink:

Also, in case these may be suspected: we're direct-connected to our router, not wireless. We're in NorCal, less than 1,000 miles from Steam and Klei, and he disables his proxy so we're not bouncing all over the world. Our ISP, however, is known for throttling (Comcast).

Archived