Let's share our most memorable playthroughs.

I'll, of course, start with mine. I'm the worst story teller in the world, but I'll try my best.

I have two that come to mind, the bird one and the Axios one, but I decided to go with the bird one because it's less pathetic and depressing.

I can't remember which one it was, but I know it was before I unlocked everyone. I had RoG at the time, I was relatively new to the game but played it a couple times. Usually with a friend of mine, we skyped while playing this game together. When doing so, he always found things I never got to find in my playthroughs. One thing he always found in particular which ground my coffee were mandrakes. I could never find them, no matter how hard I looked, yet merely seconds after starting, he finds all of them in one sitting. So I got pissed off, went into the world settings for my next game and set the mandrakes to maximum. I played as Wilson this run and started in the spring. I hadn't started there before, but it seemed ok at first. So, seconds from starting, I actually see one while Maxwell is giving the usual "Say, pal," thing. Second I'm able to move, I pluck the sucker from the ground. I continue in that direction and find more of them. And then some. And then some.

It's almost evening at this point and I have, like, six mandrakes. Six. I take a break from mandrake hunting and gather some grass and sticks and stuff. As I wander, I find the potato thing. My friend, whom was on skype with me at the time, proceeded to wish me a swift and embarrassing death.  I decide to set up camp there.

Next day, I explore more and find a grass biome and, of course, more mandrakes. Like, to the point where it was almost annoying. Try exploring more of the grass biome to find that it's almost unending. Evening comes as I hurry back to camp and pick alllll the mandrakes on the way. Lost track of how many were following me, but in the morning I think i had somewhere around 18. 

So, I started a regular camp, which was easy, thanks to the farms around the potato thing, as well as all the mandrakes. When days passed, the rain got more and more annoying, especially thanks to the lack of green caps in the general area. Then, things got real when it started raining frogs. Allllll over the camp I put together. They chased me out as the hallucinations started to become hostile. Had to constantly be runnning, using torches when it was dark. I can't really remember how I survived it, but I did. Then summer happened, and I wasn't prepared. I wasn't prepared at allllllllllllllllllllll.  I had to scamble around the area to find nitre and all the things needed to make an endothermic fire pit. I grew a watermelon and made the fashion melon, thinking it would help. Thinking back, I don't think it did much. I also tried using the thermal stone, but that made things worse as I traveled further from camp. Then things started catching on fire and nothing was growing. Sanity was low as hell and death by starvation seemed imminent. I tried making more things with the mandrakes I had left. 

But then the bird happened.

I heard the sizzling  that happened when something was about to catch on fire, but I didn't know where it was coming from. Something behind the trees I planted lit up, then the trees followed suit. My farms caught ablaze, as did my chests, my crockpot, everything in my camp caught on fire. Sanity hit the part where the red glows from the edges of the screen, and a crawling horror proceeds to give me the best welcome to hell it can. I find out, apparently, that birds that sit on the ground a bit can catch on fire, and that what ended my camp. It just spontaneously combusted.

Ran for long enough that a terrorbeak spawned. It procceeded to wreck me. According to the morgue, I last, like, 29 days.

TL;DR, Too much of anything is a bad idea, including mandrakes. Frogs are horrible and birds are flammable and also horrible.

Well, lesse, so my most memorable Don't Starve life would have to have been a Wigfrid game. Love that lil Valkyrie. Anyway, I had the mentality of "I can kill things much more efficiently now" so I entered a heard of beefalo with a log suit, battle helm and battle spear. Murdered about 5 of them, ran away, picked up meat, came back the next day. Killed about 7? that day, and there were a lot of beefalo so i just kept killing them. It eventually got to the point of the Krampus spawning and I was warned by a good friend "The Krampus is op, he will kick your butt" and i was all like "K" and took it on, One, two, three hits later, and I said "killed it" and she was all like "WHAT!? HOW" and i said "It wasnt that hard really, dunno what the issue was" long story short, camp was going well, starved in winter due to the mass amounts of meat i had gathered had turned into rot.

A file I still have with Wilson. I have a terrible habit of not hunting Beefalo in my games, yet always setting up camp so they're only a couple screens away for resource purposes. Because of this, the game is always calculating them (specifically, reproducing them) so their herds get humongous.

Enter Day 195. The herd is massive and I had to build walls to keep them out of my camp (note: the Frog Rain vs. Rutting Beefalo was like World War 3 in that file). The Bearger Spawned when I was picking up poop. I didn't have time to run to the nearby tentacle trap I'd been working on getting Giants to clear out for me. Meaty Stews for days. 

I had recently made it day 500 in vanilla and wanted to try my hand at RoG. So I get an autumn start and do my normal thing of collecting resources while scouting out base locations. Find Beefalo and a nice spot nearby, close but not too close. Start building machines, then farms, then bee boxes. All the things I normally did in vanilla thinking RoG isn't hard. Get myself setup for winter.

Winter came and went with no problems. No Clops.

Spring broke and I was gathering items to make the good rain gear. I hear this honking noise so go investigate. Big derby Goose is looking at me, then starts hopping towards me. I lure him away from my base then run back to get some gear for a fight. While I'm gearing up, it starts raining. Hard. Next thing I know is there's frogs everywhere. Day breaks and I decide to deal with the frogs first and drag them down to the Beefalo. While they're down there I'll take care of that Goose. So the Goose gets quite a few shots on me and my armor is broke, almost dead. I need to leave this fight and heal up, come back soon. So I go to pick up the frog legs that my 10 Beefalo are sure to have wiped out but all I find are horns, wool, meat and smiling frogs of death. I grab what I can and try to make it back to base before nightfall... As I get back to my base hounds are baying, frogs are there and here comes that Goofy Goose!

I'd like to say I put up a good fight but I'd be lying. Not even sure what actually killed me but when I respawned, I figured there'd be monster meat and frog legs laying around my base, maybe even a dead Goose... But no, it's like they were all waiting for me to return so they could finish the job. They did!

A file I still have with Wilson. I have a terrible habit of not hunting Beefalo in my games, yet always setting up camp so they're only a couple screens away for resource purposes. Because of this, the game is always calculating them (specifically, reproducing them) so their herds get humongous.

Enter Day 195. The herd is massive and I had to build walls to keep them out of my camp (note: the Frog Rain vs. Rutting Beefalo was like World War 3 in that file). The Bearger Spawned when I was picking up poop. I didn't have time to run to the nearby tentacle trap I'd been working on getting Giants to clear out for me. Meaty Stews for days. 

My sides have left orbit, good job.

Wish my first encounter with the Bearger went that well.

Archived