Meat effigy suggestion.

Hmm, I'd rather if the health was indeed lowered when building a meat effigy, but whenever someone ressurects on it the health from the one who built it would be returned to its previous state. A ressurection item that permanently reduces one's HP is a ressurection item almost no one would ever use.

Hmm, I'd rather if the health was indeed lowered when building a meat effigy, but whenever someone ressurects on it the health from the one who built it would be returned to its previous state. A ressurection item that permanently reduces one's HP is a ressurection item almost no one would ever use.

That's why they implemented the tell-tale heart. It's there if you don't have a way to come back to life.

If you just got the health back there'd be no point.

That's why they implemented the tell-tale heart. It's there if you don't have a way to come back to life.

If you just got the health back there'd be no point.

But that's how meat effigies work in single-player? You get the health back when you respawn with it, so it seems to me like you should get it back if someone else respawns with it.

Example:

X has 150/150 health

X builds meat effigy, has 120/120 health

Y resurrects with the meat effigy

X has 120/150 health

In single-player, if you replaced Y with X, that's how it would work.

But that's how meat effigies work in single-player? You get the health back when you respawn with it, so it seems to me like you should get it back if someone else respawns with it.

Example:

X has 150/150 health

X has 120/150 health

In single-player, if you replaced Y with X, that's how it would work.

Honestly I think it should work like this in multiplayer.

X has 150/150 health

X has 120/150 health

Or if you use your own: (because the devs said they don't want a person to have infinite revives on their own in multiplayer)

X has 150/150 health

X resurrects with the meat effigy

X has 50/120 health

Alternatively, this solves the problem of one person coming onto the server, building a bunch of effigies, and leaving

X has 150/150 health

X builds meat effigy, has 120/120 health (everyone loses 30 health)

anyone resurrects with the meat effigy

X has 120/150 health (everyone regains their health)

@tetrified I was honestly expecting the last scenario to be true. I would be fine with everyone having a health penalty that gets removed when the meat effigy is removed. It might be nice to reduce the penalty a bit in that case, though, seeing as the safety net is very thin.

I was a little surprised by them saying they didn't want infinite revives on their own in multiplayer. Meat effigies are a decent amount of work to make (that moment when Bigfoot was like "that's expensive!!!"), but as long as you can keep your death rate low you do have infinite revives in single-player, so it seems strange to change that up for multiplayer.

But I don't know. The new system has enough nuance to it that I want to play it myself before feeling particularly strongly about it. I think in general there should be a way to get infinite revives, whether that's through penalties that can be removed with difficulty, or penalties that are conditional on having the revive materials (like meat effigies).

It seems to me like life-giving amulets are the best option right now, since I usually end up with more red gems (from hound attacks, mainly) than bundles of beard hair.

But there will be server options for this stuff, yay! I suspect that these server options might tell an interesting story about the death systems, though, if players end up gravitating mostly towards one of the options.

@tetrified I was honestly expecting the last scenario to be true. I would be fine with everyone having a health penalty that gets removed when the meat effigy is removed. It might be nice to reduce the penalty a bit in that case, though, seeing as the safety net is very thin.

I was a little surprised by them saying they didn't want infinite revives on their own in multiplayer. Meat effigies are a decent amount of work to make (that moment when Bigfoot was like "that's expensive!!!"), but as long as you can keep your death rate low you do have infinite revives in single-player, so it seems strange to change that up for multiplayer.

But I don't know. The new system has enough nuance to it that I want to play it myself before feeling particularly strongly about it. I think in general there should be a way to get infinite revives, whether that's through penalties that can be removed with difficulty, or penalties that are conditional on having the revive materials (like meat effigies).

It seems to me like life-giving amulets are the best option right now, since I usually end up with more red gems (from hound attacks, mainly) than bundles of beard hair.

But there will be server options for this stuff, yay! I suspect that these server options might tell an interesting story about the death systems, though, if players end up gravitating mostly towards one of the options.

you can still get infinite revives through telltale hearts and amulets, just no infinite revives through effigies because they don't want one player being able to die and come back on their own as many times as they want without help from anyone else.

I guess the thing is they want dst to be played differently from normal don't starve

you can still get infinite revives through telltale hearts and amulets, just no infinite revives through effigies because they don't want one player being able to die and come back on their own as many times as they want without help from anyone else.

I guess the thing is they want dst to be played differently from normal don't starve

Didn't Seth say that giving the Telltale Heart to WX-78 caused him to resurrect with less max health, and after the third time he crashed out because he was resurrected with zero health? (although Bigfoot said something about not having checked in an update that would've limited the amount of penalty-- I guess with that you could technically get infinite revives but it would still suck to be permanently saddled with a max health penalty)

Didn't Seth say that giving the Telltale Heart to WX-78 caused him to resurrect with less max health, and after the third time he crashed out because he was resurrected with zero health? (although Bigfoot said something about not having checked in an update that would've limited the amount of penalty-- I guess with that you could technically get infinite revives but it would still suck to be permanently saddled with a max health penalty)

The latter is correct and we don't know how the changes are now done yet, but we should come Monday by some. 

To Be quite honest i think they need to work only with the player that placed them and you should still lose max health as you do from dying there is no need for them not to they are later game anyway its in the magic tree so they aren't easy to obtain and so should be a part of the game with the same cost as the death. i have just lost my world because i thought they worked so i'm annoyed about the matter anyway Klei have left out some key features in the game that affect it alot and i know its beta but meat effigy not working is a main aspect of the game if you are a player that makes it to day 100+.

@TheChildishOne, here's the thing with that, it worked better in singleplayer because in Singleplayer, it wasn't the easiest thing to craft, you needed to sacirifce food, get beard hair (which if you didn't play as Wilson was hard), some boards (which isn't that hard to craft) and cooked meat and that was hard to get since it'd take time to get it if you didn't get lucky. In DST it'd be annoying to be building meat effigies and that max health decrease was made so that if you had 30 max health then it'd not decrease it anymore. So it'd be overpowered to be at 30 maximum health and have made 1,000 meat effigies for your team. I think it's better that Klei made the TTH easy to craft and that causes -30 max health along with in Endless reviving at the portal is a -30 max health reduction.

To sum up: Meat Effigies would suck if they took max health.

ALSO DON'T NECRO THE THREADS LONG PAST THEIR CYCLE.

@TheChildishOne, that would only make sense in Wilderness. In Survival and Endless, you can haunt meat effigies, haunt amulets, haunt touchstones, be given a TTH and revive at the portal portal. It'd be like saying Which has no purpose but what if I had a friend who had a TTH? Or if there's a touchstone by my friend and I? I should just revive me and we can continue without having to walk back to my friend to get my stuff and can be a hassle.

Archived