What happens if we take 2 "passive" programs for incognita?

I have unlocked some programs so far, which include Fusion. In the following game I chose Power Drip and Fusion as my programs to see what would happen. I began the level and could not hack cameras - I suspect I can't really hack anything, right? 

So why would this choice even be possible? I know that there are some items that need PWR to work, but as hacking is a pretty big part of the game (without it's not possible to unlock safes so far, not to my limited knowledge at least), I wonder why would this choice even be available for players. 

I had the unfortunate experience of spawning in a room with its only door guarded by a camera and 2 guards that time. While hard, Deckard could still get attempt to get away with its cloak, but Shalem was basically stuck there, as moving into the cameras that were impossible to hack meant instant detection and death.

Can someone tell me if I am not seeing another possible solution here?

Well, if you're going to a masocore (masochistic-core) run, this is probably the best way to do it.

The cameras won't actually immediately send a guard after you, just a guard to investigate. What you want to do is to bait the guards into coming after you and then simply worm your way around them as they get distracted.

Open doors, deliberately jump into the camera's line of sight and dodge the guards like the amazing agents they are. I dare ya to try.

Besides, even if it is an accident choosing two passive programs, you can just start again with a proper set.

Suggestion: Do this run and head straight to a Server Farm, purchase a hacking program and now you have two passive programs for free and a Lockpick v1.0.

• Developer

I've tried a couple times and never gotten it to work completely. I think it's definitely possible though, and we allowed the player to do it so that people might come up with some cool emergent strategies. The main problem is that to get a hacking program you need to get through a store or server farm's firewall, which means you need a buster chip -- but how do you get this buster chip without getting to a store? 

You can get power from the level (terminals), maybe add a way to get hacking from the level?

Maybe when you access a terminal, you you get the choice between the power you get now, or 1-2 free hacking that you have to immediately use? Or a one-use program that does one hack and then self-deletes.

Or something. I don't know :)

I really like the idea of starting with 2 power programs and getting a hacking program from your first level, or 2 hacking programs and getting a power one from the level. The latter is possible, though I don't know how consistently you could do it. The former seems impossible to me though I don't know all the game's intricacies.

Maybe allow the agents to manually hack firewalls by dedicating (7 - <hacking level>) turns sitting next to the safe (similar-ish to the neural extraction mini-missions)?

It will be so impractical that it's unlikely to be used unless absolutely necessary, which it realistically seems to be if you start without a hacking program.

Internationale can find devices through walls. That's her special.

That argument would hold, if it weren't for Deckard's bonus movement point, and Banks's ability to open locked doors without keycards. Only one without a special passive would be Shalem.

Well...

Deckard has cloak, and one extra AP~Banks has paralyzer, and locksmith training~so always my favourite~

Internationale has no personal equipment but her range hacking/detection ability. Not my starting lineup. I don't use range detection a lot but still count as a special. If her range hacking ability includes breaking firewalls is going to be too epic. So being a little compromised, giving her a useless Buster Chip I (personally i never use this) is not too much to ask to give a kick start on a Dual Passive run. of course not being a "M" :)

That argument would hold, if it weren't for Deckard's bonus movement point, and Banks's ability to open locked doors without keycards. Only one without a special passive would be Shalem.

Since you mentioned...Shalem is a real tragedy...100% support you~

Shalem has gun, one extra inventory slot...at the begining...!? It's really a joke...

I'm hoping if Klei can make each agent's special ability more prominent, even when all their skills are at maximum. in that way we can send agents for specific tasks and more willingly to use their special skills instead of letting them running in the level doing almost the same thing.

Just some random thoughts~

Maybe Deckard strengthen his personal cloak (like cloak won't break after KO guard? or one more cloaking round?) or have more extra AP? So, specialized in scout~

Internationale can hack few more power from the console than others. More excel in hacking~

Bank can steal 25% more money or able to steal from all 8 blocks around her? get more money without alert those stationary guards~

Shalem...feeling so sad for him...two more slots for him???

Archived