Settler Vs Nomad

It seems Klei entertainment wants to make a game where you simply live of the land and explore the world around you. However, with things like the farm, crock pot, and berry bushes it's easy to hold up in one place. This isn't a bad thing though, setting up an advanced camp can be very rewarding when you build a big enough farm to live off.

With this in mind, i think it might be a good idea to have 2 separate game modes. One called 'Settler Mode' and the other called 'Nomad Mode'.

Settler Mode...

In this mode you have access to farms and advanced shelter options. However, the world is very small, and resorces are limited, so you need to set up a self sustaining camp, or else you will run out of resources and starve.

Nomad Mode...

In this mode the world is huge and resources are abundent, however farms and housing are disabled forcing you to hunt and forage for all your food.

What are your thought's on this?

It seems Klei entertainment wants to make a game where you simply live of the land and explore the world around you. However, with things like the farm, crock pot, and berry bushes it's easy to hold up in one place. This isn't a bad thing though, setting up an advanced camp can be very rewarding when you build a big enough farm to live off.

With this in mind, i think it might be a good idea to have 2 separate game modes. One called 'Settler Mode' and the other called 'Nomad Mode'.

Settler Mode...

In this mode you have access to farms and advanced shelter options. However, the world is very small, and resorces are limited, so you need to set up a self sustaining camp, or else you will run out of resources and starve.

Nomad Mode...

In this mode the world is huge and resources are abundent, however farms and housing are disabled forcing you to hunt and forage for all your food.

What are your thought's on this?

To me, all it does is complicate a world that really needs no further development in that region. It is the mixture of setting up a base, whilst exploring and trying to stay alive that makes this game so enjoyable.

You have no idea how many times I've set up an establishment, only to die while out hunting for a resource I need.

Rather than disable the ability to make the settlement items perhaps the devs could simply limit the lifespan any particular island has. If we imagine that some additional malevolent mcguffin is introduced as a cattle prod to stay on the move the nomad/exploration feeling that people aspire towards may be preserved.

For instance, if after 20-30 days the first island is overwhelmed dogs/darkness/disease or simply falls into the ocean it would literally force the player to continually move their primary base of operations every few dozen days. Moving forward as a rule would force exploration of new islands.

Admittedly there are a few problems that would be encountered. The first is the inevitable dead end under current map builds. On my third run it took me about 50 days to have the entire map explored, new areas would have to open up to make up for the ones left behind. Which leads to the the intense technical difficulty as the world would need to partially reconfigure after each of these deadlines. Finally this may be too similar in feel to the story mode where the player is forced to go through multiple worlds in a linear fashion; but an island regeneration/degeneration element to the freeplay version would permit a constantly refreshing experience.

My $.02