I found a (cheap) trick to survive deerclops easily

deerclops arrived very incoviniently in the middle of the night when I was fighting other things, so I could only watch him wreck my entire base from afar. I was mad so I closed everything with ALT F4

when I came back, it hadn't saved. my base was intact, I was about half a day behind. so I prepared for the attack this time around, but deeclops didn't even came. 

While we're aware that some have used Alt+F4 to force close the game, it's not a recommended way of exiting Don't Starve. Because the game doesn't support that behaviour - mainly force-closing the game using Alt+F4 - there's a chance that save files, unlocks, or progress might get corrupted or get lost in the process; especially if you are playing on Steam with Steam cloud enabled.

I won't share (as it's an exploit even if unintentional as well as for the anonymity of the people this happened to) but users who have force quit this way HAVE corrupted their files sometimes.

Don't do it.

This method (or end task on windows machines) are to be used solely when your game gets stuck and cannot be closed/quit ONLY.

At that point, assume your save is not going to, load up and continue from the last successful saving point before.

But at best, deliberate continued use is cheating or at worse, continued use is game-corrupting. 

Yeah, it's dangerous to your saves, don't do it.

What I like to do to survive Deerclops is to lead him to a swamp (or pengulls). Then, I stand back, watch, and collect all the loot :p

:razz: alt+f4ing has corrupted my save games before :razz: I always just chalk it up as being deserved lol. 
Specific example would be dying in the ruins to nightmare creatures. When I relauch the game and load it up it spawns me in the cave entrance, and when I try to go down below to the ruins it just ports me to another cave instead of the ruins (i.e. ruins are now permanently inaccessible in this world/save). 

This does not work in caves so don't get used to it. 

Found that out when I died to a Rook that destroyed a Pseudoscience machine off screen and I got struck by lightning while running from a Bishop. It didn't end well for me. 

You forgot uphill, in the snow, both ways, at night (and "When I was your age..." ;) )

Archived