The 'Don't Starve' Program - a "Don't Starve" Fan Fiction.

negaman

I leave the forums to pursue other ventures, and I find such support! I am flattered, truly. To everyone who's been supportive of this fic, even as it sat here gathering dust, I feel I owe an explanation of my lack of updates.

I blame no one for this, because I feel that Klei is doing an excellent job with the game. However, the fairly frequent updates keep adding tons of factors into the Don't Starve universe that I hadn't considered at time of writing. Spider Queens, Wooden Things, the new Research system, Winter, Pig AI, new characters, food spoilage and, the biggest of all that I've left no room for... Insanity. It's all giving me a ton of factors that I had to work into the story.

As such, here's one idea I've been rolling around in my head. Klei have not yet stated whether or not they'd be giving backstories to the world's characters, which is mainly what I was trying to do with my story. Upon launch, should the game's Adventure Mode feature no backstory information on the characters, then I very well may return to write more, utilizing the mechanics at launch which, I hope, will be the vast majority of the final product.

There is one more major issue, however, one that I can only blame myself for. I have a roadmap of the story in my head, and I frequently play it out in movie-form, me being the watcher. Soon before I lost interest in the fic, though, I realized something... I didn't write this story from the view of a watcher. I wrote it in first person. As soon as Wilson's arch finished, I was going to move on to cover the story of Wolfgang. Now, I challenge you all. Read the language style of the first chapter. Imagine Wolfgang speaking like that, even in inner-monologue.

But many plot points I've set up in this story don't work as well as they would have anymore. As such, if I do end up writing more "Don't Starve" fan fiction, I will be doing so in a new thread, under a new title, from the beginning.

I will recycle many plot points from this story if I do so. Should the final game allow it, the Television Program will still be the most prominent idea transferred over, as well as the love triangle between Wilson, Abigail, and Wendy. It will be vastly the same tale, with the main changes being the addition of more of the game's final mechanics. I also have ideas about possibly including brief sub-chapters covering previous contestants, such as good old Wallace.

So, to bullet point:

Reasons I stopped writing:

- Frequent game updates were difficult to work in

- Updates made some of my plot points unusable

- Language style and PoV wouldn't work after the first story arch

- A simple loss of interest, due to the above, that caused me to take a break I didn't return from

Things to expect:

- If the final game allows it, I will write more

- I will restart the story from the beginning if I do so

- It will be told from the perspective of a different, more omnipotent character

- There will be more details on the world itself and less on the individual surviving

And finally, I would like to apologize for leaving you all in the dark on this until now. I am alive, I did not forget my friends on this forum, I still love this game to death, I still love writing, and though I won't do any more now, I will bring you more of my writing in the future.

Wow [MENTION=4462]Rayze Darr[/MENTION] thanks for the feedback and explanation. I'm glad to know you know what you want to do. It's pleasing to here about this story again. Any idea on when the new story will be realised?

After the full game's launch, I'll spend some time playing it to really get myself into the Don't Starve mood, and then I'll begin writing. Not until after launch, though.

And finally, I would like to apologize for leaving you all in the dark on this until now. I am alive, I did not forget my friends on this forum, I still love this game to death, I still love writing, and though I won't do any more now, I will bring you more of my writing in the future.

It's nice to see you alive. I don't mind the lack of updates, so I'm fine with you going on a pace. I hope to see more of those amazing stories, thank you!