Seeking ruins tips

I've only just started exploring the ruins for the first time.

I wondered, when the nightmare cycle starts is it best just to head back to the entrance and get out, or should I try to wait it out?

It seems to waste so much time, and it's hard to explore very deep if you have to keep heading back every so often.

I have thought of taking a bush hat and just staying put till it's safer - is that worth doing?

Any tips from experienced ruins explorers would be very welcome (particularly about dealing with the nightmare cycle).

Update:  Survived my first nightmare phase using a bush hat to hide in.  And managed to collect some lovely loot.  So far so good.  :-)

Don't take Chester. It'll get in the way, and die quickly to Depths Worms

I'm playing as Wigfrid so unfortunately I have to take him if I want to use bunnymen, so he can carry her food.  And I'm not confident yet going down there without a few bunnymen guards.  They just saved me from an infestation of dangling depth spider thingies.

I agree I'd rather not take him though - one of the drawbacks of Wigfrid.

I'm playing as Wigfrid so unfortunately I have to take him if I want to use bunnymen, so he can carry her food.  And I'm not confident yet going down there without a few bunnymen guards.  They just saved me from an infestation of dangling depth spider thingies.

I agree I'd rather not take him though - one of the drawbacks of Wigfrid.

Take Rock Lobsters

Take Rock Lobsters

The one time I hired a rock lobster, it followed me to the surface and within a few days there were loads of them.

I'm waiting for that bug to be fixed before using them again as I want to try to play this game to 1000 days, and I've seen what some people's worlds look like with rock lobster infestations, and having to spend all their time trying to get rid of them.

Anyway, do you stay down in the ruins during the nightmare phase or go back up and wait it out?

I mean I see as good defense have a Rock Lobster army in the ruins. I normaly just run away from the shadow creatures... not the best idea.

They always chase me though and they seem to be really hard to kill.

Maybe I'll try to manage without the bunnymen, so then I can leave Chester behind and have one less thing to worry about.

The one time I hired a rock lobster, it followed me to the surface and within a few days there were loads of them.

I'm waiting for that bug to be fixed before using them again as I want to try to play this game to 1000 days, and I've seen what some people's worlds look like with rock lobster infestations, and having to spend all their time trying to get rid of them.

Anyway, do you stay down in the ruins during the nightmare phase or go back up and wait it out?

Just wait for the Rock Lobster following to end before exiting. Simple. 

It's best to use multiple enemies as distractions or to have the Nightmares won't bug you during the Nightmare part of the Cycle. Bush Hats and Snurtle Shelments work best for the latter (as in stay hidden) or stay away from Fissures Statures and Splurmonkeys for minimal creature problems. A Thulecite medallion can tell you which phase is up to plan if wondering if you need to enter/exit the Ruins. 

Just wait for the Rock Lobster following to end before exiting. Simple. 

It's best to use multiple enemies as distractions or to have the Nightmares won't bug you during the Nightmare part of the Cycle. Bush Hats and Snurtle Shelments work best for the latter (as in stay hidden) or stay away from Fissures Statures and Splurmonkeys for minimal creature problems. A Thulecite medallion can tell you which phase is up to plan if wondering if you need to enter/exit the Ruins. 

Ah, the shelmet, I never had one of those yet - I'll make that a priority next I think, and use a bush hat in the meantime.  And the medallion, but i have to get far enough to find the ancient crafting stuff.

Thanks to both of you for your tips, I think I'm ready for another attempt. ^^

Don't take Chester. It'll get in the way, and die quickly to Depths Worms

I usually have my Snow Chester placed on station at the entrance to the Ruins while at the Caves level, all loaded with food and green mushrooms. If needed I clear the area of spiders and their dens first and have a fire pit placed as well. My early trips to the Ruins tend to involve exploring with the Walking Cane and a Log Suit on while staying clear of fissures as much as possible. If I start accumulating too many shadows and/or worms I lose whoever I can and make my way back up to rest there. Only once I know where I need to focus my efforts for gathering needed resources do I stand my ground and clear some space to do it.

I usually have my Snow Chester placed on station at the entrance to the Ruins while at the Caves level, all loaded with food and green mushrooms. If needed I clear the area of spiders and their dens first and have a fire pit placed as well. My early trips to the Ruins tend to involve exploring with the Walking Cane and a Log Suit on while staying clear of fissures as much as possible. If I start accumulating too many shadows and/or worms I lose whoever I can and make my way back up to rest there. Only once I know where I need to focus my efforts for gathering needed resources do I stand my ground and clear some space to do it.

This is also good advice, thank you.  I don't have enough gems yet to make my Snow Chester - it's Winter so I now have my Walking Cane and trying for a Tam-o-shanter, which will make me much better prepared on my next trip.  And hopefully I'll collect enough blue gems as well. ^^

1. Only go in fall

2. Bring your moggles, at least 3 glowberries, and a walking cane. Shadow Splumonkeys will run you down and murder you without a speed boost. Miner hat has a light radius and you'll probably want to see what lurks on the edge of your screen.

3. Spend your first trip mapping and try as hard as you can to not get a train of mobs following you to the entrance.

4. Plan your trip. You'll want to bring hammers, defensive gear, food etc.

5. Clear all clockwork guardians! Don't let them charge through ancient psuedoscience stations, as there are a limited number in your world, and essentially the only reason to visit the ruins.

6. Nightmare cycle doesn't affect you unless you hang around the lights. Don't do that. Avoid them. Those buggers will chase you down until the cycle ends or you impale them on your spear. You can also avoid the depth worms fairly easily by just kiting them until they switch back to lure mode. You CAN bring lobsters down to the ruins, but be prepared to spend that day down there making sure they aren't following you back up. The sun makes them breed. They don't do it in the darkness, only on the surface. Again, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever bring lobsters to the surface.

Don't bring rock lobsters with you, they will gobble up gems and thulecites. The first thing you want to do in ruins is run! Run to the first statue and mine thulecites, then proceed to make 2 thulecite armors off of them. Avoid any mobs and fight the ancient guardian. After than you can leave the ruins. 

1. Only go in fall

2. Bring your moggles, at least 3 glowberries, and a walking cane. Shadow Splumonkeys will run you down and murder you without a speed boost. Miner hat has a light radius and you'll probably want to see what lurks on the edge of your screen.

3. Spend your first trip mapping and try as hard as you can to not get a train of mobs following you to the entrance.

4. Plan your trip. You'll want to bring hammers, defensive gear, food etc.

5. Clear all clockwork guardians! Don't let them charge through ancient psuedoscience stations, as there are a limited number in your world, and essentially the only reason to visit the ruins.

6. Nightmare cycle doesn't affect you unless you hang around the lights. Don't do that. Avoid them. Those buggers will chase you down until the cycle ends or you impale them on your spear. You can also avoid the depth worms fairly easily by just kiting them until they switch back to lure mode. You CAN bring lobsters down to the ruins, but be prepared to spend that day down there making sure they aren't following you back up. The sun makes them breed. They don't do it in the darkness, only on the surface. Again, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever bring lobsters to the surface.

I haven't tried moggles yet, I'll put that on my to-do list as well.  Thanks for the excellent tips. ^^

Don't bring rock lobsters with you, they will gobble up gems and thulecites. The first thing you want to do in ruins is run! Run to the first statue and mine thulecites, then proceed to make 2 thulecite armors off of them. Avoid any mobs and fight the ancient guardian. After than you can leave the ruins. 

It's okay to bring them down just leave them near the entrance. should only take a single rock to drag them from the caves down a level, and shouldn't be long before they stop following.

I got some of the statues mined, thanks. ^^  Will have a go at crafting some stuff next.

It's okay to bring them down just leave them near the entrance. should only take a single rock to drag them from the caves down a level, and shouldn't be long before they stop following.

I'll try to manage without them for now I think, and risk bringing them if I find it too difficult.  So far I seem to be managing to avoid mobs, apart from the clockworks that aren't too hard to kill.

Silly me, forgot just leaving Chester outside the entrance. I'll remember that, thanks! 

Bring resources with you and wall-pen them in at the entrance area.  Break the wall  when you need them.  If for some reason you can't wait for them wear off their following you, this also works when you exit to the surface without them following. 

Archived