The Hardest Season: Winter or Summer?

Seasons  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Which Season is harder?

• Winter.
    • Summer.

I'd say summer, because it is unbalanced. In comparison to freezing, that can be effectively countered by some twigs\grass\logs via fires, overheating needs nitre which becomes rare at some point and can't be gathered quick enough in case of revival. Things that help to live through summer mostly require some rare and complicated stuff (ice only in winter, blue gems damn rare etc.). So if you died and didn't have a plan B near your Meat Effigy or Altar - game pretty much screwed.

I'd say summer, because it is unbalanced. In comparison to freezing, that can be effectively countered by some twigs\grass\logs via fires, overheating needs nitre which becomes rare at some point and can't be gathered quick enough in case of revival. Things that help to live through summer mostly require some rare and complicated stuff (ice only in winter, blue gems damn rare etc.). So if you died and didn't have a plan B near your Meat Effigy or Altar - game pretty much screwed.

How is Nitre rare? Also, just build an ice box near the touch stone and put a thermal stone inside. Also, you can literally just stand under trees. Anyway, back to my first point, just build an endothermic fire pit.

How is Nitre rare? Also, just build an ice box near the touch stone and put a thermal stone inside. Also, you can literally just stand under trees. Anyway, back to my first point, just build an endothermic fire pit.

That's not my point. Picture yourself reviving in the middle of Savanna biome. No boulders, no trees. Nothing. That means death in Summer. In winter - you still can make your way by making torches and setting things on fire. And boulders running out quite fast anyway, for me at least. So is nitre. Thermal stone will not help if you revived, as you will not have it. Endothermic firepit and thermal stone+ice box changing - restrict your movement to only vicinity of your camp.

Thats not my point. Picture yourself reviving in the middle of Savanna biome. No boulders, no trees. Nothing. That means death in Summer. In winter - you still can make your way by making torch and setting things on fire. And boulders run out quite fast anyway for me at least. So is nitre. Thermal stone will not help if you revived, as you will not have it. Endothermic firepit and thermal stone+ice box changing - restrict your movement to only vicinity of your camp.

Here's a tip: Don't be in a savannah when Summer starts.

What good will this tip do when your activated altar is in savannah and you just revived? My point is - you can survive in winter even if you don't have a chest full of stuff next to your revival structure. In summer after revival most of the time you're screwed if you don't have a dense forest nearby to make your way home.

What good will this tip do when your activated altar is in savannah and you just revived? My point is - you can survive in winter even if you don't have a chest full of stuff next to your revival structure. In summer after revival most of the time you're screwed if you don't have a dense forest nearby to make your way home.

I've never survived after being revived in winter. I have in Summer, though.

Yes. The best option is a small base in the desert where is a lot of food and nothing to lose in a fire.

A thermal stone inside an ice box and a walking cane nest to reviving thing is enough to move to you summer base and collect your gear. A luxury fan is even better.

I've never survived after being revived in winter. I have in Summer, though.

Also a thermal stone and a fire pit is enough. Also, you may add some winter gear.

The best in summer is two thermal stones. One with you, and one inside snow Chester. You can explore caves those days where a cold thermal stone last two days and things don't ignite. 

Yes. The best option is a small base in the desert where is a lot of food and nothing to lose in a fire.

A thermal stone inside an ice box and a walking cane nest to reviving thing is enough to move to you summer base and collect your gear. A luxury fan is even better.

Also a thermal stone and a fire pit is enough. Also, you may add some winter gear.

The best in summer is two thermal stones. One with you, and one inside snow Chester. You can explore caves those days where a cold thermal stone last two days and things don't ignite. 

I was talking about a situation when you don't have any preparations made for revival. Surviving Summer when everything is ready is easy and there are many guides telling what to have for this kind of accidents.

I was talking about a situation when you don't have any preparations made for revival. Surviving Summer when everything is ready is easy and there are many guides telling what to have for this kind of accidents.

So basically, you're just like this? "Oh well, looks like Summer's coming! I don't feel like doing anything to prepare, so I'm just going to die, durrrrr..."

So basically, you're just like this? "Oh well, looks like Summer's coming! I don't feel like doing anything to prepare, so I'm just going to die, durrrrr..."

Oh, and you're always well and ready to absolutely every situation? Where did I say something about not wanting to prepare for summer? I just pointed out that IF you're not ready for summer - you are dead meat. In winter you are not.

Oh, and you're always well and ready to absolutely every situation? Where did I say something about not wanting to prepare for summer? I just pointed out that IF you're not ready for summer - you are dead meat. In winter you are not.

Be ready for the first summer is easy. Be ready and  to want to explore and do a lot of stuff the first summer is a bit harder. The first summer you may avoid any danger, be near your summer base, collect cactus every 3 days or less, is too much food! and use your own strategy to deal with those 2 or 3 small waves of hounds.

I think It just because of the experience. If we originally has summer and autumn and we got winter in DLC... it might be an contrary thing.

Its pretty simple to make an pretty parasol at least. So I think you are not completely right

I think It just because of the experience. If we originally has summer and autumn and we got winter in DLC... it might be an contrary thing.

Its pretty simple to make an pretty parasol at least. So I think you are not completely right

Ok, then do tell me, please, exactly how will Pretty Parasol help you survive after resurrection with 1\3 hp remaining? It will not cool you down just slow overheating a tiny little bit and you still need to find and collect petals to craft it, which will take some time, during which you'll start overheating. It is simple to make and is useful when have means to cool not to slow heat.

EDIT: Yeah, I know, I promised to stay silent, sorry. I just REALLY cannot understand why the hell people keep thinking, that if I write about situation when you are not ready for Summer, that means that I am a newbie that does not know about preparing for summer, or a lazy bum who does not want to prepare for Summer. That's just beyond me. A mystery.

Ok, then do tell me, please, exactly how will Pretty Parasol help you survive after resurrection with 1\3 hp remaining? It will not cool you down just slow overheating a tiny little bit and you still need to find and collect petals to craft it, which will take some time, during which you'll start overheating. It is simple to make and is useful when have means to cool not to slow heat.

If your touch stone in grassland, it's simple. If you in savanna or rocky land, you cant survive in winter too. Simple trees actually cool you. And also  resurrection...   It's should be hard to survive after touchstone, but its still possible.

If your touch stone in grassland, it's simple. If you in savanna or rocky land, you cant survive in winter too. Simple trees actually cool you. And also  resurrection...   It's should be hard to survive after touchstone, but its still possible.

Ok - if your touchstone in grassland yoг can make a Pretty Parasol and use trees to let you get additional 3-4 seconds to run to next tree. But when trees end - you are cooked. If you revive in rockyland in winter - yes it's probably death too if it is very big, but I still think freezing is easier to deal with, because it just easier to make fire to actually give you some significant time to travel back home, not just 2-3 seconds like trees give you in summer.

Archived