Should I Purchase It (Now)?

I'm sorry if this was asked before but I couldn't find any similar topic; so I decided to ask here if I should buy the add on. In fact I was planning to grab the DLC in summer sales (like I did with the original game), but now I'm worried that it won't go on sale this year and the price will rise up due to the addition of multiplayer mode.

And as a second question, I'd like to ask if it is too frustratingly hard for a coward player like me. I always set hounds to less in world settings, just run away when Deerclops shows up, and never get into a fight without the assistance of pigs. I usually get to 200 days without dying but start a new game out of boredom.

Thanks for the advices in advance.

First of, welcome to the forums! The RoG DLC shouldn't rise in price afaik, only the vanilla game will cost a bit more when Don't Starve Together is released. Owners of DS get DST for free btw.

I'd say that you should buy RoG when you're feeling like getting new content, as it adds more replayability to DS. And yes, whilst RoG brings more utility items it also brings more dangers like the different seasons, the seasonal giants and wetness/overheating. If you're really struggling with that you could customize your world generation options more to make it bearable for you :)

Exactly what Spazmatic has said plus, if you buy RoG and play it first you won't have any need to play Don't Starve vanilla unless you want to feel nostalgic.

It's like playing a 2014 remake of a retro game made in 1980 or something. RoG is basically what Don't Starve should have been like from day 1.

There's a lot more to manage in RoG, making sure you're prepared for the rain of Spring and heat of Summer as well as Winter.  If you run away from Deerclops there's no reason you can't do the same with the new giants or get other mobs to attack them - same strategies mostly work.  Just make sure you get well away from your camp when you get the warnings, as I'm sure you do with Deerclops, so they don't destroy everything.

I found the base game got repetitive quickly whereas the new challenges keep me interested, so I would certainly recommend it.

Oh and another thing to mention if you decide to buy both Don't Starve and Reign of Giants DLC and you started with the DLC and found it tough, there is an option to turn the DLC off in game to play Don't Starve alone.

Thanks to everyone for the advices! I think I'll buy the the game :D

The RoG DLC shouldn't rise in price afaik

That's great news :) I might wait a few weeks for the price to drop then.

Oh and another thing to mention if you decide to buy both Don't Starve and Reign of Giants DLC and you started with the DLC and found it tough, there is an option to turn the DLC off in game to play Don't Starve alone.

I've already got the base game, I was just trying to decide whether the DLC is too hard or not.

Thanks to everyone for the advices! I think I'll buy the the game :D

That's great news :) I might wait a few weeks for the price to drop then.I've already got the base game, I was just trying to decide whether the DLC is too hard or not.

Oh sorry. In that case ignore the first part. The option to turn off the DLC still applies. Good luck.

ROG is extremely recommended.

I see no reason to go back to playing vanilla ever again.

Bear in mind, the difficulty has increased. If you are really struggling at first, you always have the option to Alt + F4 in order to give you some leeway to learn the ropes and the new mechanics.

Archived