Show me your base

I've survived my first full year with RoG and I'm about to start building a long-term base, so I'd love to see what other people have done.

I especially want to see 2nd year and later bases, where you've had time to make it more complex.  Or if you've decided to keep it simple on purpose then show me that too.

At the moment I'm having trouble deciding where I'm going to position my endothermic firepit, given that the ice flingomatic will put it out if it's too close, but I like to cook stuff at night so as not waste time and I need the crock pot and storage boxes covered by the flingomatic.  

The Summer I just spent, I had to make my endothermic firepit a little distance away and I kept forgetting till the last minute that I had to get over there, since dusk is so short in Summer.   Or should I aim to use a miner's hat and not bother with the firepit?   What do you do (talking about on the base only - obviously while exploring or away from base it won't be a problem since there won't be an ice flingomatic)?

JYM - I love that you have one of each bird. ^^  Thanks for sharing - there's nothing like nosing around someone else's base. :grin:

I like the idea of a mini- base near the beefalo too - I have a firepit around there, so I could easily develop that, which would make sense.

And maybe I'll plan a separate Summer base too, once my main base gets too big to comfortably cover with ice flingomatics.

Edit - removed the picture of my map, since I've moved on to find one with a Pig King so I'm starting afresh.

Wow! I haven't even passed day 40 in RoGs yet! I am still wrapping my head around base building strategies. I used to be able to pass day 200 in vanilla but RoGs is soooo hard! XP

I know, there's so much more to think about and plan for. ^^

I haven't had many giants yet this time through - my first few tries I got killed after a couple of seasons but I've been lucky this time, and only got the Firefly, and since my Summer base was near a group of hound mounds I introduced them to each other and ran away.

I want to be well prepared before I meet any more - the Bearger destroyed my base the first time I met him but now I've got my pan flute and stack of dynamite ready.

I know, there's so much more to think about and plan for. ^^

I haven't had many giants yet this time through - my first few tries I got killed after a couple of seasons but I've been lucky this time, and only got the Firefly, and since my Summer base was near a group of hound mounds I introduced them to each other and ran away.

I want to be well prepared before I meet any more - the Bearger destroyed my base the first time I met him but now I've got my pan flute and stack of dynamite ready.

Again-WOW! Nice planning, chap. I have only seen the deerclops and it was the middle of the night in winter. I was away from my base so I built a fire. When It showed up I had to run circles around the fire all night-eventually getting killed-reviving at the touch stone-and freezing to death XP

Nooooo!  I just finished exploring the last parts of the map, and....I have no pig king!! :(

So now I'm thinking I might use the teleportato and start a new map.  I want a pig king.

What's so great about the pig king? He just gives you gold right? I can get tons of that stuff from the caves =D

Btw you seem pretty cool =) mind if I friend ya on the forum?

I never put my fire pits that close together because I have my base centralized with a flingo overwatching everything. Put the endo pit off to the side somewhere so you can run both it and the flingo simultaneously.

Never saw a use for more than one crock pot, since making too much food at once can be a bad idea in the long run. Tend to use cobblestones for making roads, not flooring (though I tend not to make them ever because on a default world you can handily walk from one end to the other in a single day. 3 birdcages? Okay :-)

10 drying racks, 2 improved farms, 2 bee boxes, a spider nest and at least 5 pig houses nearby. 10 saplings and 30 grass tufts. That's all I ever need.

Also, not once have I ever used a cot or tent to sleep in the game. Seems kinda pointless. If I craft them it would only ever be for the sanity. And I eradicate all nearby moles from my base after making the rain hat, they drive me nuts from just the incessant burrowing sound enough.

Beffalo outpost is always a decent idea. Another thing I do is set up a wayside by the walrus hunting camp asap just to have it ready for the one day I go back there to get my loots.

Well, after 200 days, I have enough to survive forever. So certain things are just whims or luxuries. Like I path of tooth traps that a made (It is long enough to kill 4-7 boss monsters).

Again-WOW! Nice planning, chap. I have only seen the deerclops and it was the middle of the night in winter. I was away from my base so I built a fire. When It showed up I had to run circles around the fire all night-eventually getting killed-reviving at the touch stone-and freezing to death XP

That's happened to me so many times in the past - never again! (famous last words)

What's so great about the pig king? He just gives you gold right? I can get tons of that stuff from the caves =D

Btw you seem pretty cool =) mind if I friend ya on the forum?

I don't know really, I just want one.  I like the way he kind of pours the gold out of nowhere.  I haven't been in the caves much yet, going to do that when I'm really well established.  And sure, if you like. ^^

I never put my fire pits that close together because I have my base centralized with a flingo overwatching everything. Put the endo pit off to the side somewhere so you can run both it and the flingo simultaneously.

Never saw a use for more than one crock pot, since making too much food at once can be a bad idea in the long run. Tend to use cobblestones for making roads, not flooring (though I tend not to make them ever because on a default world you can handily walk from one end to the other in a single day. 3 birdcages? Okay :-)

10 drying racks, 2 improved farms, 2 bee boxes, a spider nest and at least 5 pig houses nearby. 10 saplings and 30 grass tufts. That's all I ever need.

Also, not once have I ever used a cot or tent to sleep in the game. Seems kinda pointless. If I craft them it would only ever be for the sanity. And I eradicate all nearby moles from my base after making the rain hat, they drive me nuts from just the incessant burrowing sound enough.

Beffalo outpost is always a decent idea. Another thing I do is set up a wayside by the walrus hunting camp asap just to have it ready for the one day I go back there to get my loots.

Thanks for all those tips!  I never use tents or rolls either but I think a tent looks good in a camp. ^^

Well, after 200 days, I have enough to survive forever. So certain things are just whims or luxuries. Like I path of tooth traps that a made (It is long enough to kill 4-7 boss monsters).

I have lots of teeth stored away from spending the Summer destroying hound mounds (and the hound waves of course), so I'm looking forward to making my tooth trap area once I find a good spot.

I just finally found a world with a Pig King, something like the 5th one - just kept grabbing the things as quickly as possible and moving on, which felt really weird.  I'm sure Pig Kings were more common before.  Haven't even looked properly at this world yet - just used map revealer to see there's a Pig King and now I'm wondering whether to leave it revealed or not.  Because I spent so long exploring my first map I feel like I've earned a break, so I might allow myself to just choose a spot and start building my base since that was the point I was at in my first world.

Decisions, decisions. :grin:

i was planing on making a pig village near my base but i'm just too lazy to start for some reason, also these pictures were taken before i did a few more changes

main base

post-300365-0-23457700-1401903503_thumb.

garden and pig skin farm

post-300365-0-59049200-1401903517_thumb.

farms and honey

post-300365-0-61849300-1401903531_thumb.

pets

post-300365-0-45918900-1401903543_thumb.

effigy and shootius

post-300365-0-74260300-1401903566_thumb.

hound cementery

post-300365-0-93422900-1401903579_thumb.

map view

post-300365-0-97928500-1401903592_thumb.

i was planing on making a pig village near my base but i'm just too lazy to start for some reason, also these pictures were taken before i did a few more changes

main base

attachicon.gifWes Base 1.jpg

garden and pig skin farm

attachicon.gifWes Base 2.jpg

farms and honey

attachicon.gifWes Base 3.jpg

pets

attachicon.gifWes Base 4.jpg

effigy and shootius

attachicon.gifWes Base 5.jpg

hound cementery

attachicon.gifWes Base 6.jpg

map view

attachicon.gifWes Base 7.jpg

Wow that is playing fast even if you are on day 181. My builds took me too long. Also I didn't show everything, Just my camps. I will show more after this summer, i don't want any burned base or houses.

@Nayrux holy geez that's a well-oiled machine. Plus it's like the only time I've seen someone put their drying racks under their fire lol.

I forgot to tell you. Many crock pots are useful coking recipes that takes too long and don't spoil fast, like dragon pie or taffy. Also when you have a lot meat near to turn into rot, are better drying racks for this case.

@Nayrux

Thanks for sharing, that's an amazing base!  And some great ideas there that I haven't seen.  I like the hound cemetery especially, and the pets, and it's all so well organised and neat! 

I'm busy setting up a few outposts, ready for Winter and Summer, before I really get started, and collecting enough stone etc.  Then I think I'm going to set up my defences first, with a hound and monster trap area - I would hate to be taken unprepared and lose it all.

I forgot to tell you. Many crock pots are useful coking recipes that takes too long and don't spoil fast, like dragon pie or taffy. Also when you have a lot meat near to turn into rot, are better drying racks for this case.

That's a good idea - sometimes I go and do something and the meal I left cooking has already spoiled. 

Also I didn't show everything, Just my camps. I will show more after this summer, i don't want any burned base or houses.

Like I promised i will show more, but not everything, It'll take too much time.

1) Day 823 :( ... collecting reeds and killing tentacles.

post-348057-0-32566400-1402002684_thumb.

2) touch stone. Those tentacles almost killed me, 6 tentacles together is insane (besides the set piece of reeds).

post-348057-0-90689800-1402002691_thumb.

3) 3 of 10 that a will make.

post-348057-0-90453000-1402002696_thumb.

4) tooth traps near my main base. m/Moose did that destruction. I will rebuild it after Bearger.

post-348057-0-25282900-1402002706_thumb.

5) spider stuff. I don't have spider dens, beacause i have more than en ought silk.

post-348057-0-83490700-1402002711_thumb.

6) ten pig houses and one-man band.

post-348057-0-50724600-1402002718_thumb.

7) The same path of tooth traps, but now near my summer base.

post-348057-0-92835500-1402002725_thumb.

8) one of four. They still need walls.

post-348057-0-71732300-1402002732_thumb.

9)All the generated "clockguard floor" in this world, and some lureplants. I had more lureplants, but they burn out and tuned into ashes.

post-348057-0-06579100-1402002740_thumb.

I have more stuff like cave bases, but won't share them for now.

I like the pig houses round the walrus camp - I just finished Winter in my new map, hunting walruses, and managed to get an eye from Deerclops to make my first ever Eyebrella. 

I think my next task is making a hound killing area - I have plenty of teeth now. ^^

Thought I'd show what I've managed to do so far.

Base3.png

Base1.png

My base is going to be a little less formal than some I've seen, more like a village - this part is where the frogs live, very useful for a regular food supply, except Winter when I'm not here anyway.  The coast is just behind them, so the walls end there.  I keep traps at the entrance near me and get a regular supply of frog legs that way, and I can run through there when the hounds attack during the day to lose a few of them on the way to my killing area, which will be to the left.

I'm going to create a pig village to the right, kind of like an orchard with deciduous trees and a spider den in the corner.

g5kscap.png

9s1El1v.png

tOw52vE.png

6DWgaJr.png

Honey production with retaining wall to prevent Springtime grassland carnage.

z9buq7d.png

Camp by night.

AL7p4Mm.png

Pig(skin) Village(farm)

0vBbunv.png

Hound welcome mat.

UVePYsk.png

Map view.

slSmBYF.png

This is my year round base template.

I position the 4 ice flingomatics like the vertices of a square, allowing for a slight amount of overlap. It's the smallest base footprint, and the most efficient, that I've designed since RoG's release.

Early on, I tried doing the seasonal base thing, but it became too much of a chore to move supplies from camp to camp depending on the season. 

I don't use any mods, and the only change I make to the default settings is to make it so that I can start in Autumn.  :happypigs:

Archived