Season Balance

No, I'm not referring to difficulty. I don't think summer is 'OP' or something. I'm referring to the balance of content and things to do in different seasons, specifically summer and winter. And I think it's rather imbalanced currently.

I noticed that, in summer, there's almost nothing to do but wait for the dragonfly to spawn. Compare that to winter, where I've got to collect snowbird feathers, try to get blue gems, and hunt MacTusk. Summer shares its birds and its hounds with both spring and autumn, whereas winter has unique versions of both those creatures. And of course summer doesn't seem to have anything unique like MacTusk. See, while these seasons both provide additional challenges, only winter also provides new opportunities. And that makes summer a pretty boring season.

I guess this could be improved by making the ice hounds spawn in either spring or autumn. Giving summer a new bird and useful things to craft from its feathers would be cool. And, while I definitely think that summer should NOT get some sort of mirror of MacTusk, it would be cool to see some sort of creature that spawns only in summer and has a unique and valuable drop.

Of course, most of this would require new content, so I'm not sure how useful feedback like this is at this point.

I definitely agree that summer could do with a few tweaks along those lines. Summer exclusive items would be really good, but I'm not displeased with summer as it stands.

Since the DLC is complete, I'm not sure if anything like this will be implemented. We can be hopeful, but... I'm doubtful, unfortunately.

This discussion has been done in depth a while back, before RoG official release, see this thread:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35281-theres-really-no-incentive-to-want-to-play-through-summer/

A lot of people discussed the fact that there was not much to do during summer as opposed to winter. There was also a decent table in the OP that describes the main differences between those two seasons. However, the developpers decided not to add anything more than what is currently available during summer. Perhaps more summer content will come with DST? Only the great Maxwell knows.

By the way, ice hounds are supposed to spawn during spring in addition to winter. However, this feature is currently bugged and will get fixed in the next update. Cheers!

Hmm, usually I collect bees, make my base beautiful with flooring (i can't do this during winter, because of snow).

Of course I can do this during spring and autumn, but such things I prefer to do in the summer.

If in DLC was summer Mac'tusk at least, I will be really happy. But even without this I still like summer. For me, summer less boring than winter. Long days, eating ice creams, melons... summer my favorite season even without special content.

This discussion has been done in depth a while back, before RoG official release, see this thread:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35281-theres-really-no-incentive-to-want-to-play-through-summer/

A lot of people discussed the fact that there was not much to do during summer as opposed to winter. There was also a decent table in the OP that describes the main differences between those two seasons. However, the developpers decided not to add anything more than what is currently available during summer.

Whoops, I missed that. Probably because the thread's content is not what I would expect from the title. Well it's good to know that the reason they didn't add anything more to summer wasn't a lack of feedback.

By the way, ice hounds are supposed to spawn during spring in addition to winter. However, this feature is currently bugged and will get fixed in the next update. Cheers!

I've heard rumors of that, but nothing official, so I didn't mention it. That should help a little when it happens, but summer will still be pretty empty.

I've heard rumors of that, but nothing official, so I didn't mention it. That should help a little when it happens, but summer will still be pretty empty.

Here's the last patch note (Changes --> Creatures --> Ice Hounds now spawn in hound waves during Spring)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35639-where-theres-a-wilson-patch-notes-april-30-2014/

Then, in the same thread for the bug (post #146 from SethR):

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35639-where-theres-a-wilson-patch-notes-april-30-2014/page-8?hl=%20spring%20%20hound

Hope that helps =)

There is a patch coming ''soon'', perhaps this will get fixed ^^

Archived