Will we have player names? Like usernames that appear above our heads or something? It would be almost impossible to tell who's who without usernames. Like for instance, you see a nice friendly Wilson. Then he dies somehow and you don't know it. Then you see another Wilson thinking its the same person then, Bam! He kills you.

Theres a general idea that there might be a lobby when people make games, usernames should probably been shown there.

Not to mention this is pretty much depending if you use steam? Standalone users I dont think have a username tied to their game.

Surprised this topic didn't come up earlier and the Stand alone community is a large audience in Don't starve's spectrum so steam usernames can't really apply.

Player 1, player 2, player 3 in the lobby?

How did castle crashers handle this… 

Edit: 

Seems Xbox live used the Xbox usernames and Steam used steam usernames...

and introducing a username component to Don't Starve doesn't feel right…

ummm, no i'm pretty sure you'd just be known as the name of your character. I think the character selection will be one of each character max per world, having multiple of the same character would not only ruin the entire feel of the game, but it could be hella crazy, imagine a server full of Maxwells? Shadow army OP.

Hmm....I was under the impression your user name should appear above your characters head if another player scrolled over you with their mouse. Otherwise how else will you tell who you're playing with?

Even if Klei make it so you can't choose the same character as someone else on the same server, you still want to know who you're playing with. What if in a public server your friend playing as Wilson decides to stop playing, but says he/she will be back in 30 minutes. Then after 30 minutes a "Wilson" spawns into your server. You carry on playing "assuming" it's them. So you're going to tell me, you will ask every player who joins you if you are who you really are?

Another useful feature with most online games, is a log. When a player logs into your game it should say somewhere "J20Hawkz joined as Wilson."

I would think it makes sense in order to play online you have to have a Don't Starve Together account. The user name you use to log into Don't Starve Together will be your ingame name and will be shown in lobbies and during play.

Whether you have Don't Starve on steam or as the stand alone version, playing online won't make a difference, we all log into one server which connects us all - "Don't Starve Together"

Hmm....I was under the impression your user name should appear above your characters head if another player scrolled over you with their mouse. Otherwise how else will you tell who you're playing with?

Even if Klei make it so you can't choose the same character as someone else on the same server, you still want to know who you're playing with. What if in a public server your friend playing as Wilson decides to stop playing, but says he/she will be back in 30 minutes. Then after 30 minutes a "Wilson" spawns into your server. You carry on playing "assuming" it's them. So you're going to tell me, you will ask every player who joins you if you are who you really are?

Another useful feature with most online games, is a log. When a player logs into your game it should say somewhere "J20Hawkz joined as Wilson."

In order to play online you have to have a Don't Starve Together account. The user name you use to log into Don't Starve Together will be your ingame name and will be shown in lobbies and during play.

Whether you have Don't Starve on steam or as the stand alone version, playing online won't make a difference, we all log into one server which connects us all - "Don't Starve Together"

Oh so that's how multiplayer works well there goes that entire rant I had about how servers work. Also I ran out of likes to give so pretend I like your post. I think that sounds fine, using a together account and having the name above the user's head. I don't think it should be limited to having your mouse of them though, maybe have it a toggleable option to show usernames/dont/only on mousever?

@polygone wait a sec. That's not how it works currently. It's a suggestion based on what I've seen from other successful online games.

Edit: added an extra line before the part where I talked about having a Don't Starve Together account. To make it clear I'm suggesting not saying it is like that.

Ah allright, still it's a good idea/system. Also there's the generall assumption that there's going to be a chat. People would need usernames to appear in chat or if there's two of the same character that would get very confusing. And I'm meh about the idea of restricting it to one of each character, since that'd be difficult to impliment. If someone logs into a server as Wolfgang and you happened to have been playing as Wolfgang on that server before you disconnected does that mean you just can't play multiplayer on that server until ther log off? That would really suck. It'd be easier to just let anyone join as anyone, and it wouldn't require any extra coding to do. Just give people usernames some way or another, like have people without a username make one when they download the Don't Starve Together pack and that'll be it for servers or something.

Archived