The worst thing to happen in Don't Starve, just happened.

post-209578-0-95551000-1398311270_thumb.

There was no way around this. You see, a few moments earlier I had to leave my base to fight off a hound attack. Can't have those stupid fire hounds blowing up in a forest base, right? In the middle of that, he started coming after me. 

I ran to my base because I had the one thing that would keep him from spiting lava on my base, the ashes.

And as you can see, ashes are about the absolute worst thing you can try. He is literally in the middle of my base, using two fire pits and a chest with my precious jack-o-lanterns as a pillow. 

I didn't learn.

I started to burn more items to hopefully lead him away when he woke up. Ashes don't solve anything. He woke up, set everything on fire for no reason, then chased after me setting everything else on fire.

I love the Dragonfly, don't get me wrong. But the ash thing needs total rework.

I have a theory that all the giants are actually babies which wonder astray from their own kind. This would explain why he is SO CRANKY when he wakes up.

I actually like this theory.  Except for the Great North Canadian Moosefowl.

Don't feed the ash, read my guide. If you provoke him while he is asleep, he will kill you in one clean swoop .

I only did this to make him full and sort of pacified. I actually went further away because I knew not to get close to him.

I actually like this theory.  Except for the Great North Canadian Moosefowl.

Eh, I took one look at the thing and decided that I never wanted to try to understand it. The face is too goofy for me to talk seriously about.

• Developer

I only did this to make him full and sort of pacified. I actually went further away because I knew not to get close to him.

When both the Bearger and the Dragonfly sleep because they're full, it also resets their fullness. They're in a pretty deep slumber after their snack and will generally only wake up after a while or if provoked. For putting down more ashes to work, you would've had to wait for him to wake up again (unless provoked, they should wake up passive and hungry after about half a day).

Does that explain the behavior you were seeing, or do you think there's something else going on?

Eh, I took one look at the thing and decided that I never wanted to try to understand it. The face is too goofy for me to talk seriously about.

What?  He's comfortable.  You gave him a carpet and everything.

When both the Bearger and the Dragonfly sleep because they're full, it also resets their fullness. They're in a pretty deep slumber after their snack and will generally only wake up after a while or if provoked. For putting down more ashes to work, you would've had to wait for him to wake up again (unless provoked, they should wake up passive and hungry after about half a day).

Does that explain the behavior you were seeing, or do you think there's something else going on?

He only slept for about 30 seconds. Long enough for me to take a screen shot, toss some stuff on the ground to get more ashes, then FLAME ON! He actually was flying over the burning items, trying to kill me, before they became ashes. 

He was sort of off screen when he woke up, but I was able to see his torso start stomping my base before I knew what was happening. He acted like I hit him in the face while he was sleeping.

The whole thing was rather spontaneous.

@Lord_Battal     Oh it was rather cute of him to take a snooze in my base. Scary, but also a honor. The face that I meant was goofy was moosey.

• Developer

So Seth, does that mean I have to feed bearger 10 honey to make him fall asleep?  If I, for instance, feed him 20 meat- this will not increase the hunger at all?

That's correct. We've gotten some feedback about people seeing situations where the Bearger picks their base dry and then gets mad about not having anything else to eat (i.e. aggroing the player), which can be a bit confusing. We may try to address this (though, frankly, it's unlikely since we're pretty short on time at this point), but for now, he'll only be satisfied by honey.

• Developer

He only slept for about 30 seconds. Long enough for me to take a screen shot, toss some stuff on the ground to get more ashes, then FLAME ON! He actually was flying over the burning items, trying to kill me, before they became ashes. 

He was sort of off screen when he woke up, but I was able to see his torso start stomping my base before I knew what was happening. He acted like I hit him in the face while he was sleeping.

Hmm, that's strange. Everything in the code is in order to make him sleep for half a day when he gets his fill of ashes. Was there something in or near your base that might be aggressive to him? Since you saw him go into his flame-on mode, that suggests that something attacked him and that's why he woke up early: he should only go into that mode (and do his butt-stomp move) when he's got a combat target...

Well, Bearger has a little stomach in this case. I gave one some honey, maybe 10, and he slept until winter.

Hmm, that's strange. Everything in the code is in order to make him sleep for half a day when he gets his fill of ashes. Was there something in or near your base that might be aggressive to him? Since you saw him go into his flame-on mode, that suggests that something attacked him and that's why he woke up early: he should only go into that mode (and do his butt-stomp move) when he's got a combat target...

Would he hate my pet mole or the butterflies that fly around? Or what about mosquitoes inside a chest? I suppose the mole could have bumped into him, but my base is devoid of any traps. Since he made a beeline for me, I assumed he thought I was a problem.

• Developer

Would he hate my pet mole or the butterflies that fly around? Or what about mosquitoes inside a chest? I suppose the mole could have bumped into him, but my base is devoid of any traps. Since he made a beeline for me, I assumed he thought I was a problem.

No, he wouldn't target any of those creatures. I'm looking again at the code and I think what happened is that the timer for him getting bored and going into aggro mode (this happens if he can't find any thing to burn or eat for a while) isn't getting paused while he's sleeping. I'll fix that up. Thanks for the extra info!

No, he wouldn't target any of those creatures. I'm looking again at the code and I think what happened is that the timer for him getting bored and going into aggro mode (this happens if he can't find any thing to burn or eat for a while) isn't getting paused while he's sleeping. I'll fix that up. Thanks for the extra info!

Also if any creature is too close to him for too long when put to sleep with ashes, he will enrage, which wakes him up.

Archived